Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Best oil filter wrench that doesn't get stuck on the housing

30K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Sarah437 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2014 Camry and 2017 Rav4 that both use the same 64mm oil filter wrench. Coming from a GM family, I love everything about the Toyota's but the oil change process. It is more difficult that it needs to be. I currently have the Assenmacher Toy 640 wrench and it fits too snug on the housing so any torque on the wrench makes it very difficulty to get the wrench separated off the housing. Does anyone have suggestions for a quality wrench that is easier to remove from the housing? It would be preferred to have one with a 3/8in fitting for my tools.

Thank you for the advice!

Chad

#8 ·
They generally work pretty well, but there have been a few reports where the dealer had overtightened the housing and these tools have broken the fingers and even the side of the housing.

The Motivx and similar generics also grip the "fingers" as well as the flats on the housing, added benefit that when seated onto the housing, they lift the spring clip so you don't have to bend or remove it (if the skirt is long enough, MotivX and the stamped steel "Pennzoil" brand are).

#14 ·
I like the U-shaped wrench as well. Yes, I did break off one of the plastic wings on the oil filter housing when I first started doing oil changes and was learning how to make sure the wrench was properly attached to the housing. It still worked...just not as well.

I upgraded to the aluminum oil filter housing a few oil changes later, learned how to use the wrench better and haven't had any subsequent problems in 6 years. It never gets stuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.