Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughter's 2010 4 cyl. Rav 4 has 101,000 miles and runs like new, no issues at all. We have been changing the recommended 0-20W oil every 5K miles.

I heard on a radio mechanic's show where the "Master Mechanic" stated not to use 0-20W specially in this Central Florida summer heat and to switch to a 0-30W Amsoil blend. He says the 20W is too thin for this climate and it will eventually create premature engine wear.

Then I asked my mechanic and he recommended I stay with the 0-20W cause he says the tolerances on these engines are very tight and you don't want to starve the engine of oil circulation at primary cranking. At least with the older cars with higher mileage you usually went up to the next weight so any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Primary cranking? If that's starting a cold engine you'll still be using a 0W, so on a 100k engine in Florida, I think 0W30 is a good idea.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Suggest that you stay with what your Owner's Manual recommends ( presumably 0-20W) and what should be stamped on the oil filler cap. Agree with your mechanic. I have spoken with owners of RAV4s who are still using the originally recommended oil after 250,000+ miles with no issues.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
My daughter's 2010 4 cyl. Rav 4 has 101,000 miles and runs like new, no issues at all. We have been changing the recommended 0-20W oil every 5K miles.

I heard on a radio mechanic's show where the "Master Mechanic" stated not to use 0-20W specially in this Central Florida summer heat and to switch to a 0-30W Amsoil blend. He says the 20W is too thin for this climate and it will eventually create premature engine wear.

Then I asked my mechanic and he recommended I stay with the 0-20W cause he says the tolerances on these engines are very tight and you don't want to starve the engine of oil circulation at primary cranking. At least with the older cars with higher mileage you usually went up to the next weight so any thoughts on this? Thanks
Mobil has a 12.00 rebate on 0w-20 mobile 1 oil now.. I get my OEM oil filters from ebay. I have 2011 rav4 and change mine at 7500 miles,

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/93-...ynthetic-motor-oil-13-47-after-12-rebate.html

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
It has over 100K miles and you are wondering if the oil is correct? Seriously?????????
Continue with what your normal oil & change interval isl to see 200K. Obviously you use a quality product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has over 100K miles and you are wondering if the oil is correct? Seriously?????????
Continue with what your normal oil & change interval isl to see 200K. Obviously you use a quality product.

Never said that I wondered if the oil I'm using is correct. I clearly stated I use the recommended grade and was asking for opinions from other Rav4 users if they have heard of or use a different grade.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
As SlimJim said above, while cold cranking, the oil will be at 0w(or whatever the lower #of the oil you're using). You could very well continue exactly as you've been doing. Or you could consider a slightly higher weight like 0-30/40 or even a 10-40, being you're in central FL.
(BTW, we're looking at a blizzard Tue where I live. I envy you!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your feedback.

revenuer

I see the bad weather going on up the seaboard but we are doing good here and blessed with cool temps for now. We did dodge a huge bullet with Hurricane Matthew a few months back.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Wondering how much Amsoil is paying him to advertise for them?

I use Mobile 1 Synthetic Advanced fuel economy on all of my cars no issues.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Doesn't get much better than that!

Stick with what is working. If you need more peace of mind and have some extra cash, get a Blackstone used oil analysis done, track it over a few changes. I've stayed with my oil as specified except changed to synthetic (Mobil 1) and stretched the change interval to about 9 months/ 7k-miles once the extended warranty ended. All is well according to the couple of reports i've had done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point corsair. He is an authorized distributer for them.

RAVN4RED

Thanks I will keep my schedule as is. On the wife's Honda Crosstour the computer actually tell you the percentage of 0-20W oil life and at 15% is when they say to change it which is about 7K miles or so. I usually have it serviced when flashing 20%. I believe the service light come on the Rav4 at 7,500 miles but again I have it changed a bit sooner at 5K miles.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... On the wife's Honda Crosstour the computer actually tell you the percentage of 0-20W oil life and at 15% is when they say to change it which is about 7K miles or so. I usually have it serviced when flashing 20%...
That's interesting, but I seriously doubt the computer knows the true condition of the oil. It's just giving alerts as you get close to the recommended oil change. Maybe they have an oil change interval of 10k?

For my 2009 RAV and your 2010 the 'maintenance required' light comes on at 5k miles. I think it also does for the gen 4.4 models, but they only require oil changes at 10k miles to keep the warranty covered. And it's the same engine (4 cyl) as ours. So it tells you there is some flexibility in change intervals, especially with the synthetic oil.

In any case, enjoy your ride. The engine is sweet and reliable.

Reactions: MRHarris

·
Registered
302 Posts
People seriously over-think engine oil. I've seen cars go 200k-300k kms on just conventional oil and with sketchy oil change intervals. There is no "best" oil for any engine. Use a SN rated oil in your recommended viscosity for your climate conditions.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
People seriously over-think engine oil. I've seen cars go 200k-300k kms on just conventional oil and with sketchy oil change intervals. There is no "best" oil for any engine. Use a SN rated oil in your recommended viscosity for your climate conditions.
Amen, brother! There is way too much angst in this forum over motor oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts