Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a receiver, hitch, electrics kit for my 2015 2WD. Just wondering if anyone has seen a good place to get a kit for a good price.

The manual specifies 1500lbs gross tow weight so, a Class I is fine, but I'd rather have a Class II in case the tongue weight gets out of control.

Thanks in advance.

~bob

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's cheaper than the kits I've found on ebay and piece-mealed together on autozone.com.

~bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

I did some more poking around. I went to O'reilly autoparts and the kid behind the counter suggested I buy somewhere else. (was a bit dumbfounded to be told go spend your money elsewhere which is exactly what I did)

I ended up getting the Hidden Hitch Custom Fit Receiver #87631
And, a factory plug-in converter box by Reese Hitches #118578

Now, a little about my experience installing these items on a 2015 Rav4.

The receiver was not too bad, maybe a 20 minute job if you have all the tools.
- The rear exhaust hanger has to come off. A little WD-40 and you can pop it of by hand in about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Driver-side under body panel to be removed and modified, a little square cut out to accommodate receiver. (this should absolutely be modified and re-installed to help protect the under carriage from premature decay.
- The tow hook must be removed. This is fine if you have a receiver to help pull your Rav4 from tough situations.
- Torqued the bolts to 65 ft-lbs per the instructions.

The reason this was so easy, is I'm a really skinny dude, so I laid out the receiver length wise across my body and still had room to wiggle under the Rav4 and manipulate the receiver into place and hand install each bolt initially. If you're a larger person, I recommend using a jack for one side and your hands for the other, or get a buddy to help.

The biggest 6 hours of PITA was the wiring harness.
- Lots of panels to take apart.
- Two under-carriage panels for the power wire back to the converter box.
- Lots of zip ties to keep said power wire in place and not rubbing on anything.
- Awesome youtube video using the same wiring harness kit. (great tips in the video)
- Zero factory wires cut during installation = HUGE WIN.
- Simple test light check for functionality = Passed (also huge win)
- Stores inside the vehicle near spare tire when not in use. (keeps harness from suffering damage)

Took a long time to do the installation, but it looks really good, and turned out well.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts