Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

My name is Allison and I am new here... So please excuse my naivety! I am a new mom to a 4.5 month old. I currently have a 2007 Ford Taurus with 97,000 miles on it. I am in the market for a RAV-4 as I have been slightly obsessed with them for my entire life! My budget is $6,500-ish and I would prefer a RAV with less than 120,000 miles. Our mechanic knew someone selling their 2007 4-cyl RAV for $6,500 with 140,000 miles. I was super excited since I know these cars are known for their longevity. However, upon further googling (and lurking on this site!) I found that the 2007 is known to have its fair share of issues.

Does anyone have any input as to what year would be best for me? I feel like 2005 but it's near impossible for me to find any for sale within my budget and less than 120,000 miles near me(Northern California). Any help is appreciated! Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hi all!

My name is Allison and I am new here... So please excuse my naivety! I am a new mom to a 4.5 month old. I currently have a 2007 Ford Taurus with 97,000 miles on it. I am in the market for a RAV-4 as I have been slightly obsessed with them for my entire life! My budget is $6,500-ish and I would prefer a RAV with less than 120,000 miles. Our mechanic knew someone selling their 2007 4-cyl RAV for $6,500 with 140,000 miles. I was super excited since I know these cars are known for their longevity. However, upon further googling (and lurking on this site!) I found that the 2007 is known to have its fair share of issues.

Does anyone have any input as to what year would be best for me? I feel like 2005 but it's near impossible for me to find any for sale within my budget and less than 120,000 miles near me(Northern California). Any help is appreciated! Thanks to all in advance.
The 2009 2.5 engine is solid. The 2.4 (2006-2008) had major oil consumption... so I would stay away unless someone could show you Toyota fixed their engine. I don't know enough about the 2 generations 2001-2005. Unfortunately your budget keeps you out of the 2009. https://www.cargurus.com/ Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome, Allison. Congrats on being a new mom! You can check on the repairs, recall work, and service done by Toyota dealers and their service departments on any Toyota RAV which you might consider buying by going to: www.toyotaowners..com and registering and then entering the VIN of the RAV. If you don't like what results and you wish to consider another vehicle you can delete the previous RAV and enter the VIN of the next one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, Allison. Congrats on being a new mom! You can check on the repairs, recall work, and service done by Toyota dealers and their service departments on any Toyota RAV which you might consider buying by going to: www.ravowners.com and registering and then entering the VIN of the RAV. If you don't like what results and you wish to consider another vehicle you can delete the previous RAV and enter the VIN of the next one.
Thank you so much for both of your replies! I just tried ravowners.com but the link isn't working for me for some reason. Perhaps it is my phone.. Any ways thank you! I am so overwhelmed.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Thank you so much for both of your replies! I just tried ravowners.com but the link isn't working for me for some reason. Perhaps it is my phone.. Any ways thank you! I am so overwhelmed.

There's a good reason why it isn't working - I provided the wrong URL. It's www.toyotaowners.com

Sorry! Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

There's a good reason why it isn't working - I provided the wrong URL. It's www.toyotaowners.com

Sorry! Let us know how it works out!
No need for apologies! Thank you very much! I will be sure to utilize the site and will update if any purchases are made. My family is trying to sway me into getting a..dare I say it.. Honda CR-V but my heart is set on a RAV. Anyways, thanks again!

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
No need for apologies! Thank you very much! I will be sure to utilize the site and will update if any purchases are made. My family is trying to sway me into getting a..dare I say it.. Honda CR-V but my heart is set on a RAV. Anyways, thanks again!

While you prefer the RAV I doubt that you would go wrong with either a checked-out-for-problems RAV or a CR-V. I've owned both and they both have been bulletproof. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

While you prefer the RAV I doubt that you would go wrong with either a checked-out-for-problems RAV or a CR-V. I've owned both and they both have been bulletproof. Good luck, and keep us posted.

If you don't mind me asking, what years of the CR-V and RAV-4 did/do you have? Is there a major difference between the two regarding longevity? I seem to see more RAVs over 200k than CR-Vs... There is someone local to me selling a 2005 CR-V with 82k miles for $6,200-ish. That almost seems too good to be true to me.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what years of the CR-V and RAV-4 did/do you have? Is there a major difference between the two regarding longevity? I seem to see more RAVs over 200k than CR-Vs... There is someone local to me selling a 2005 CR-V with 82k miles for $6,200-ish. That almost seems too good to be true to me.
I don't mind at all! That's one of the reasons for having forums such as this one. Previous CR-Vs owned have been 2003 and 2005 - the 2003 had an ECU problem which was replaced under a recall, and it didn't affect the running or performance of that CR-V. The 2005 had a manual transmission and was entirely problem-free. A later CR-V is 2010 and also has been problem-free as is the RAV which is 2011 with the V6 engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind at all! That's one of the reasons for having forums such as this one. Previous CR-Vs owned have been 2003 and 2005 - the 2003 had an ECU problem which was replaced under a recall, and it didn't affect the running or performance of that CR-V. The 2005 had a manual transmission and was entirely problem-free. A later CR-V is 2010 and also has been problem-free as is the RAV which is 2011 with the V6 engine.
Thank you(yet again!) for your help! I guess the main part that is confusing me is IF the problems that the 2007 RAV-4 are in fact covered by the warranty or have been fixed, is it a good buy? I believe I read that the burning oil issue is covered until October 31st... Are there major issues with the 2007 model that are not covered by warranty? I am so lost... And so overwhelmed! I am also just confused since I seem to only find 98-01 models with 200k+ miles on them. But I don't want to get an ~15 year old to have it die on me from old age!

Thank you again for answering my questions! I didn't realize how little I knew... It's been humbling! Haha.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My brother has a 2012 CRV its been flawless for 4 years. Perhaps have a mechanic take a look at that 2005? Here is a site for car problems Honda CR-V Problems | CarComplaints.com

Now taking a look at the 2005 RAV seems like less problems for that year than the 2005 CRV.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/RAV4/2005/

What is your zip?

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Don't dismiss a CR-V just because you desire a RAV4. You just might miss out on a super deal.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Thank you(yet again!) for your help! I guess the main part that is confusing me is IF the problems that the 2007 RAV-4 are in fact covered by the warranty or have been fixed, is it a good buy? I believe I read that the burning oil issue is covered until October 31st... Are there major issues with the 2007 model that are not covered by warranty? I am so lost... And so overwhelmed! I am also just confused since I seem to only find 98-01 models with 200k+ miles on them. But I don't want to get an ~15 year old to have it die on me from old age!

Thank you again for answering my questions! I didn't realize how little I knew... It's been humbling! Haha.
Hopefully you will find what you're looking for. You've done a lot of research, but now suggest that you sit back and give it all a rest for a while! There isn't any make or model type of vehicle on the road that I know of with a perfect reliability record. One obvious problem is that, in general, the older the vehicle the more miles it most likely will have on it. If you're patient and keep looking, something may turn up which actually has relatively low mileage for its age and has good service, recall, etc. records. If you know a trusted mechanic it would be good to have them check out any vehicle you're looking at. Good luck, and keep us updated. :smile

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My brother has a 2012 CRV its been flawless for 4 years. Perhaps have a mechanic take a look at that 2005? Here is a site for car problems Honda CR-V Problems | CarComplaints.com

Now taking a look at the 2005 RAV seems like less problems for that year than the 2005 CRV.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/RAV4/2005/

What is your zip?
My apologies, I didn't see this until now! And my zip is 95063.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 2009 2.5 engine is solid. The 2.4 (2006-2008) had major oil consumption... so I would stay away unless someone could show you Toyota fixed their engine. I don't know enough about the 2 generations 2001-2005.
Are the V6 engines in the 06-08 year group a lot more reliable, and not plagued with the same oil consumption issues?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Allisonreneexo, you can get either a 2004 or 2005 RAV4 because it will suite your budget and is very reliable. I previously owned a 2005 and it was very reliable. It has the fewest problem and recall of any RAV4 model to date. The only problem I had was the door lock actuator and some rust in the exhaust pipe in a few places. Engine performance is quite good for this light SUV. Cargo space is small and the rear seating is not as comfortable and roomy compared to the bigger 3rd Gen (2006-2012). This car can easily surpass 200,0000 miles with careful maintenance.

Don't get anything 2001 to 2003 unless you know about the ECM problem which causes the automatic transmission to shift erratically and needing replacement.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Are the V6 engines in the 06-08 year group a lot more reliable, and not plagued with the same oil consumption issues?
There is no oil consumption problem with the V6. This engine is reliable for the most part. It is also super powerful with 269 hp. It is the same engine in the Highlander,Camry,Avalon,Sienna,Venza and Lexus 350.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the 4 cylinder 2.4L engine in the 2004-2005 have the oil consumption problem that the 2006-2008 2.4L engine have? What was different in 2006 that caused the engine to have the oil burning issue?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Is the 4 cylinder 2.4L engine in the 2004-2005 have the oil consumption problem that the 2006-2008 2.4L engine have? What was different in 2006 that caused the engine to have the oil burning issue?

For the 2006 model year (the new Generation 3) onwards for the 4-cylinder engine Toyota changed the engine piston ring design as part of a revision program and those piston rings often resulted in rings-to-cylinder sealing problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts