Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 99 is getting near to needing a new set of shocks, front and rear. I looking for recommendations from those of you that have already done this. Bilstein, Gabriel, Sears, etc, etc. Which ones? Suggestions with model numbers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mohit said:
bilstein, kyb, dobinsons or monroe
I've tried Monroe at rear and I've changed rear shocks more often than engine oil! :shock:

3 pairs in 2 years!

The last pair has lasted 3 months.

Don't ask me why. Our RAV run on asphalted road and it is never loaded.

I returned them and I bought Toyota shocks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Stick with the Toyota shocks.

The two decent alternatives, KYB and Bilstein, will improve handling a little bit, however the ride will be more stiff and uncomfortable.

Monroes are junk.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Maybe the Monroe shocks you get there are different to the ones we get here coz i've got Monroes on the rear of my RAV and they are fantastic...way better than stock shocks. The ones we get here are designed and made in Australia for Australian conditions...maybe that makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would go with the Bilsteins. Lifetime warranty; and Toyota uses them as OEM equipment on their TRD Off Road Tacomas as well as other models. :D

It all depends upon what you will be demanding for the shocks to accomplish. If you want better handling, the Bilsteins or other performance shocks such as KYB or KONI. If you prefer a softer ride, then go with the OEM Toyota shocks. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mohit said:
Maybe the Monroe shocks you get there are different to the ones we get here coz i've got Monroes on the rear of my RAV and they are fantastic....
It was Monroe Sensa-Trac.

About the KYB, nobody was able to tell me it has two different model of rear shock.

One model for "normal" RAV4, and anaother one for "L" model.
So, I didn't take them.

It's why I've bought at Toyota dealer.
The only question my Toyota dealer asked to me is: Do you have 215/70R16 or 235/60R16 tires?

·
Registered
50 Posts
have for sale...

if anyone is interested...i have the front Bilstein HD struts for the RAV. PM me! I would like to get rid of them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jeff said:
joel said:
The only question my Toyota dealer asked to me is: Do you have 215/70R16 or 235/60R16 tires?
Haha that's a good one.
I'm not really sure to understand why you seem to find that funny. :?:

My Toyota dealer really asked me this question, because, in his parts catalog, he has two different number for rear shocks.

One for RAV4 originally equipped with 215/70R16 tires and
another one for RAV4 originally equipped with 235/60R16 tires.

EDIT: FYI : Part # on the invoice: 48531-49137

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's weird coz all rear aftermarket shocks for the RAV here in Oz will fit all models of RAV4s ever made regardless of stock tyre size!

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
just for general knowledge, the bilstien b6 shocks are not really stiff at all!! i put a set in just before christmas & done about 8,000+ km's on them. they feel much better now than when they were new (VERY hard). even the most finely tuned comfort sensor (my wife's backside) has not complained recently.

cornering is great in combination with 235/60-16 dunlop sp9000 tyres. so good in fact that corollas, civics, & various other cars have to slow down if they are chasing me into corners!! hmmmm, bmw's are a different story though..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts