Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to find the best possible 0w20 synthetic online.. so far advertisements ad reviews point to Pennzoil Platinum.. I’ve used royal purple in my Pilot and I like it.. any advise?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If Royal Purple put as much money into R&D as they do into advertising and product placement on "gearhead" cable shows, they might actually have a decent product... but they don't, and they don't.
I tested several popular products in my motorcycle... Royal Purple didn't hold up any better than plain old Castrol GTX... both sheared down from 50wt to 30wt in 2000 miles.
Amsoil and Mobil-1 won out, maintaining grade to 6,000 miles.

Schaeffer and Redline is other solid products, but they are not readily available over the counter.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If Royal Purple put as much money into R&D as they do into advertising and product placement on "gearhead" cable shows, they might actually have a decent product... but they don't, and they don't.
I tested several popular products in my motorcycle...
Mobil 1 is my choice. I use it in my 4x4 GMC, RAV4, Ducati 900ss, BMW R100rs and 1956 Harley chopper. In fact, I would take the used oil from the BMW and use it in the Harley. So shoot me but I sold the Harley with about 50,000 miles in awesome condition. (Sold the BMW @110,000 miles in great condition.)

Mobil 1!

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^ Totally AGREE.

Wife's v6 RAV4 oil and filter, gets changed every 10,000 Km.
- and the used oil still retains 1/2 its honey color

WIX "XP" oil filters is their new Platinum line / using synthetic media....
www.filter1.com out of the States, is 1/3 the cost of local NAPA/UAP here (in Ontario)
- once a year I order my filters in bulk, and drive to MI for parcel pickup

My favorite oil is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (from 99.5% clean N-Gas base stock) / Canadian Tire had on sale, few weeks ago... $47.98/5L Yellow Jug + HST
20 years using AMSOIL here...no more, too expensive without the extra added value proposition / competition has caught up or exceeded it.

>> Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum is made from 99.5% clean Natural Gas base stock.
Plus a WIX XP Platinum synthetic filter, from Filter1 online / same as Amsoil Filter, re-branded.

Read my Post #4 : http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/272273-synthetic-oil-switch.html

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well Ive only used mobil 1 so far.
I like it in the winter in Canada. Motor turns over nice even when its -25c.

Seems like an excellent product and its onsale at crappy tire atleast twice a year.

I generally run 12k kms or so on an oild change which might too long in some peoples books....

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
M1 is working fine for me. Pick one and go with it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I’m trying to find the best possible 0w20 synthetic online.. so far advertisements ad reviews point to Pennzoil Platinum.. I’ve used royal purple in my Pilot and I like it.. any advise?
I get Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum . I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I just go with the one that has the rebate offer at the time. Right now it's Pennzoil. They have a $2 a quart rebate ($10 per 5 quart jug) until 12/31/2017. I find Walmart has the best prices.

Oil Change Coupons for the DIYer | United States

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was using mbile1 in my last car (it was a Pontiac Vibe but it had Toyota engine and transmission), I switched to Amsoil and I noticed improvement in fuel economy and less engine noise! Now I use Amsoil in my RAV4.
I also should also say that in my last car, I replaced the transmission oil with Amsoil and I saw again huge improvement! (I did that myself).
I wish I could replace the transmission oil with Amsoil in my RAV4, but I searched about it and it is too complicated for me.
I change the oil myself every 5k (about 6 month) so ~$50 is not a lot.
I know I it is safe up to 10K but I shoot myself if I reach to 10K.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is no "BEST". It would take hundreds of thousands of miles and scientific testing to prove it. Also, best at what? Longevity? Cleaning? MPG? Choose one and go with it. You're asking for opinions which will yield thousands of answers.

Read this:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1664795/"What_oil_should_I_use?__#Post1664795
BITOG is a great site.

Rumor has it that TGMO is actually made by Mobil. M1 has never done me wrong. Cold starting is amazing.

I tried Penz Platinum in another car and the engine was a little nosier than M1 and it used more oil.

The other nice thing about M1 is 5 quart jugs are usually a good price at China Mart.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
No question, it is made by Mobil to Toyota specs. Excellent product.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^ What he said above! I use Toyota's brand whenever I get my oil changed because the lube joint I go to carries it. I'd use M1 if I couldn't find the Toyota brand locally.

PS...I stand right there in the 'pit' area, watch and ask questions as both the oil and the filter get changed.

Reactions: LuckySixes

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Ref. RTexasF's Post #6 - engine oil threads almost always result in sacks full of responses It's hilarious on our motorcycle forums - when someone starts a thread about engine oil the veteran forum users chime in with responses like "watch out, incoming," and "bombs away" accompanied with appropriate cartoon characters. Those usually result in the ends of the threads. Here, joyridin' in Post #13 has it.

Reactions: LuckySixes

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
In Ottawa, Genuine Toyota synthetic 0w-20 is cheaper than any other common branded synthetic (Castrol, Pennzoil, etc...) from Walmart or Canadian Tire. So it is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No question, it is made by Mobil to Toyota specs. Excellent product.
^ What he said above! I use Toyota's brand whenever I get my oil changed because the lube joint I go to carries it. I'd use M1 if I couldn't find the Toyota brand locally.,,,,,
I asked our son, when he gets his '15 Lexus RX350's (3.5L-v6) oil changed (at Canadian Dealership) with synthetic, ask them "what specific brand of oil do they use"?
- service adviser said:
- "oil comes straight out of a Mobil1 drum / bought locally, from Case & Drum"
- and whats good enough for Lexus, is also good enough for the entire Toyota lineup
- so I doubt that Toyota would have their own unique Mobil1 oil spec.
- given they don't manufacture their own fluids

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use Mobil 1. You can great great deals when they offer their promotions. $12 back on a 5 gal jug or $24 back on the purchase of two.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
- so I doubt that Toyota would have their own unique Mobil1 oil spec.
- given they don't manufacture their own fluids
They do indeed make it to a specific spec for Toyota. That's why the 10K miles interval can be specified. I can't find the information at the moment but I'll keep looking as I've read it before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They do indeed make it to a specific spec for Toyota. That's why the 10K miles interval can be specified. I can't find the information at the moment but I'll keep looking as I've read it before.
Since we are talking 0w20, you cannot get that in regular Mobil 1. You have to get it in Mobil 1 Advance Fuel Economy for the cheapest. That comes with a 10,000 mile/1 year warranty, exactly Toyota's OCI. Mobil may make a specific spec for Toyota, but the 10,000 mile OCI is not the reason as you can see Mobil 1 AFE is capable of doing that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^ What he said above! I use Toyota's brand whenever I get my oil changed because the lube joint I go to carries it. I'd use M1 if I couldn't find the Toyota brand locally.

PS...I stand right there in the 'pit' area, watch and ask questions as both the oil and the filter get changed.
I figured at this point in the discussion that I would chip in. I drive truck for a large midwest oil distributer. We carry Mobil, Motorcraft, Valvoline and Cam 2 brands.I drive an oil tanker and pump motor oil at many dealerships in northern Michigan. I currently deliver to 3 Toyota dealerships.
Long story short, there is no such thing as Toyota brand oil. All Toyota dealerships use MANDATED Mobil oil. If I go to Walmart and by a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 full syn. 0/20 it is the exact same oil that I pump in bulk out of the 5000 gal. tank at work. Likewise all Chevy, GMC dealerships are MANDATED to use Mobil brand also. Ford MANDATES Motorcraft brand oil.
About 8 years ago GM, Ford, and Toyota went to the dealerships and stated in no uncertain terms. YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED TO USE WHATEVER BRAND OIL THAT YOU WANT. YOU WILL USE THIS BRAND OR WE WILL SHUT YOU DOWN. Seems they thought that they were paying too much on warranty work. Needless to say I use Mobil oil of various viscositys in every engine that I own.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Long story short, there is no such thing as Toyota brand oil. All Toyota dealerships use MANDATED Mobil oil. If I go to Walmart and by a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 full syn. 0/20 it is the exact same oil that I pump in bulk out of the 5000 gal. tank at work.
. Do you mean Mobil 1 Advance Fuel Ecomony?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.