Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be quite a few products available for Techstream programming on Toyota vehicles from places like Amazon and Ebay. I see all types of reviews depending on what people are doing on different type of vehicles. Some would appear to have better software and more intuitive processes than others. I'm wondering if anyone has a particular cable/software combo that they find particularly useful and would recommend for the later Rav4s. Please chime in with your experiences and some info of what you have and where you got it. This will be really helpful for those of us who are novices at this. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Got mine on Amazon, but didn't use the software that came with it, I downloaded the latest version from the net, it works fine on an XP laptop, I also loaded it on a Win10 laptop which used a Win10 driver for the interface cable, but it won't connect to the vehicle. I had to disable Avira antivirus on the XP system to install the driver that came with the cable, same for the driver that I downloaded, Avira detects a Trojan which it quarantines and won't allow the installation, disabling AV allows it to work tho. There are several discussions here and elsewhere that cover Techstream, just google them or use the search this forum box.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
So was it a real virus or just a false positive? Chinese intrusion software?

I have no idea and no way to prove one way or another, Avira is one of the best AVs available, it identified exactly what it was detecting every time I tried to install it with the AV running, tr crypt.xpack.gen, I don't use the XP laptop for anything else so no risk if I doesn't go online, I won't use the Chinese driver on the Win10 system.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Bought the techstream from; Seller : camprofessor on ebay
installed it on the bought laptop with Windows XP 32 bit. used the supplied CD since it was latest version. Just need to disable the anti-virus every time the techstream is used and for original install. Simple install and had no problem.:smile

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Bought the techstream from; Seller : camprofessor on ebay
installed it on the bought laptop with Windows XP 32 bit. used the supplied CD since it was latest version. Just need to disable the anti-virus every time the techstream is used and for original install. Simple install and had no problem.:smile
Most AV programs will allow you to specify files to exclude when scanning. Go to the settings or options, add that file to the exclusions list and you won't have to disable every time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What settings are you all changing with your software?

Just got version 12 loaded last night and havent tested it on the RAV yet.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Customization, any setting that the dealer can set, all those listed in the owner's manual and a lot more.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tried changing the seat belt chime for the passenger seat last night, cant seem to change anything.
Almost as if the software is in "Read only" mode.

Is there a special key sequence to change values?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
does this thing also let you change tire size to get the speedo back to correct?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tried changing the seat belt chime for the passenger seat last night, cant seem to change anything.
Almost as if the software is in "Read only" mode.

Is there a special key sequence to change values?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Had to re-install software. All is good now.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
does this thing also let you change tire size to get the speedo back to correct?
Nope, and it won't let you alter the odometer reading either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts