Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for new tires for my 2007 Limited 2wd V6. I am not easy on my vehicle and I like to use the V6 engine, if you know what I mean. Which tires are the best ones out there? I have looked into the other forum about tires but they all suggest different brands. I have not had luck with tires on my old Ford and I need to get tires on my RAV soon. Help!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm absolutely LOVING my Michelin Latitude HP Tour tires. They are extremely quiet and exceedingly good under very wet conditions.

These are my summer tires. I do not know how well they would perform under icy/snowy conditions, though I gather they would at least do fairly well.

Reactions: Loomis

·
Registered
178 Posts
All season...good weather all year?...high mileage...light off roading...performance handling...mostly wet or dry...there is no one tire that is perfect for it all...I have Hankook dyna pro atm and they are the best year round, snow belt suv tire I have ever owned...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am in the market for new tires for my 2007 Limited 2wd V6. I am not easy on my vehicle and I like to use the V6 engine, if you know what I mean. Which tires are the best ones out there? I have looked into the other forum about tires but they all suggest different brands. I have not had luck with tires on my old Ford and I need to get tires on my RAV soon. Help!
As other mentioned, might be easier to qualify what you mean by "best". Otherwords, what features are the most critical for that tire you are looking for. Also would help to know if you RAV4 is bone stock or if you have any mods on it - could be a big influence on the tires. On my 2009 Rav4 Limited - I have Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. Good all around tire, good tirewear so far (have about 40K on them, looks like they will make it atleast double that). Great hydroplane resistance, has more grip than the chassis can put out, worked out surprisingly well in this past blizzard (we got over 3 feet of snow in NoVA, even with 60% worn tires).

·
Registered
129 Posts
To narrow down your choices, look at the tread wear and traction UTQG ratings to eliminate lower rated tires. You can compare those ratings with your oem tires.

My new Firestone Destination LE2 has ratings of 520 tread wear and A traction. My oem Yokohama Geolander G91a had ratings of 280 and B. Oem tires lasted only 30k miles of non-sporty driving.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nitto Crosstek! I'm on my second set because I like their dry and wet performance with my V6....

These tires are made for turning hard. :wink

Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am getting new tires on my 2007 Sport tomorrow. Highly recommended were Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+. I looked online and found high ratings and good reviews.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm very happy with my Michelin Defenders on my 2010 V6. Quiet, seem to be wearing quite well, handles very well in dry and wet. Never driven them in snow as I'm a snowbird!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Michelin Premier LTX. Amazing 3 season tire ( I mount Nokian Hakkapelitta's SUV2's in the winter so mine will never see the snow).

I will post a review of my experience with the Premier's once I reach 10,000 km. on mine which will be by the end of July. However, I can say they are the best 3 season tire I have driven on in my 40+ years and 2,000,000 km. of driving.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Conti TrueContacts 235/65R17 they have like an 800 UTQG, LRR, and seem to stick to the road nicely.. tirerack rates them equivalent or better than the michelin defenders and cost a little less. Like someone else said, really depends on your application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow!

Thanks all that responded. I live in southern North Carolina and mostly have humid warm weather with very little snow. When it rains, it pours so I definately am looking for tires that will do well to prevent hydroplaning. I am also wanting long tread life and performance with little noise and a smooth ride. I do not do any off road riding just country roads and highways.This is my first SUV, I am used to buying low profile tires for sports cars. All of the different options can be confusing. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thanks all that responded. I live in southern North Carolina and mostly have humid warm weather with very little snow. When it rains, it pours so I definately am looking for tires that will do well to prevent hydroplaning. I am also wanting long tread life and performance with little noise and a smooth ride. I am no longer going to trust a tire salesman!
"When it rains, it pours".....you too, heh?>:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ... we mostly have humid warm weather with very little snow. When it rains, it pours so I definitely am looking for tires that will do well to prevent hydroplaning. I am also wanting long tread life and performance with little noise and a smooth ride. I do not do any off road riding just country roads and highways.
Your criteria pretty much lines up with what I was looking for when I researched tires ... especially the wet surface handling and performance. The Michelin Premier LTX's covers all of those bases.

Go to tirerack.com and look at the Premier's test results and also look at where they rank against all of the other SUV tires. I liked what I read there. The icing on the cake was when I read these tires are the OEM tire for the Lexus RX line out of the factory.

Sold me and I have been impressed so far and that's not an easy thing to do.

Tire Test Results : Testing Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires: Evolution Improves the Breed

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your criteria pretty much lines up with what I was looking for when I researched tires ... especially the wet surface handling and performance. The Michelin Premier LTX's covers all of those bases.

Go to tirerack.com and look at the Premier's test results and also look at where they rank against all of the other SUV tires. I liked what I read there. The icing on the cake was when I read these tires are the OEM tire for the Lexus RX line out of the factory.

Sold me and I have been impressed so far and that's not an easy thing to do.

Tire Test Results : Testing Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires: Evolution Improves the Breed

Run a comparison between the Michelin Premier LTX, Contential TrueContact, and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S

The Premier is a 620AA, the other two are 800AB and 800AA respectively
Consumer survey ranks the 128$ Conti right up in there with the the two 165$ michelins.. and a lot (whole lot) more folks have and like the Conti's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like what I see

Thanks both Marion and Bug Jr. Cost is always a factor. I will do a little more research. Thanks again for contributing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are considering Firestones, the local stores price match the online prices including any promotions. The other tire companies may do the same, you would have to check.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts