Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 v6 sport. Full sized spare so don’t need to find a set with run flats. What is the best bang for your buck for an all season tire that You’ve put on your rav? Anyone else from Colorado please comment :) thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello...I have a 2012 V6 Limited and live way up North of Canada where we have between 7 and 8 fts of Snow during the winter...So i put 235 70R16 with agressive threads and with the very effective AWD of the Rav4 ....i got no problem to drive around.
But i'm wondering if i have a flat tire...my spare is 225 65R17 ....so
i will have tires mismatch and the awd system may freak out...? because i've always been told to install 4 identicals tires on my Rav4...
Anybody can clearify the mismatch tires sizes ...Thank You...

·
Registered
387 Posts
We got Cooper AT3 4S 235/65-17 in the fall and they were great this winter. We plow snow with ours and the traction was amazing. We saved the best old tire for a spare, even though it is smaller. The spare tire cover won't fit the Coopers. If we do get a flat, the spare will go on and a new tire will be purchased if the flat can't be repaired. They are a heavier tire with a higher load rating. They're awesome. 5 star reviews online with only a handful of negative remarks, and those are mostly from people who can't drive, lol.

I believe toyota says 5% mismatch is ok. That's a big difference.

Slight mismatch will be fine, as long as they are the same on each axle. EX: small tires up front and bigger in rear, or big up front and smaller in rear. We had different brands of the "same size" before buying the new tires and when I mounted the new tires I lined up the old ones. They were very different sizes even though the sidewalls said the same thing. We had goodyear on the front, and yokohama and michelin on the rear. They came mismatched from the previous owner because they got flats.

The stock tires are supposedly 28.5" tall. The bigger Coopers are supposed to be 29.2". The Coopers are definitely bigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello...I have a 2012 V6 Limited and live way up North of Canada where we have between 7 and 8 fts of Snow during the winter...So i put 235 70R16 with agressive threads and with the very effective AWD of the Rav4 ....i got no problem to drive around.
But i'm wondering if i have a flat tire...my spare is 225 65R17 ....so
i will have tires mismatch and the awd system may freak out...? because i've always been told to install 4 identicals tires on my Rav4...
Anybody can clearify the mismatch tires sizes ...Thank You...
I have the same concern having 16 inch winters. That’s why I’m deciding to go up to 17inch for my next winter so I don’t have to worry about buying two spares for winter and summer. There’s no point of going smaller for winter if you are going wider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My advice based on my own experience living just north of Toronto, Canada... do NOT buy all-seasons, buy ALL-WEATHER tires. Let me share this with you... I've had All-weathers on my 2012 4WD-RAV4 V6 for a few months now and I'm more than impressed with their winter performance. I've driven cars with winter tires and these all-weathers have easily exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, if the performance of my all-weathers tires (Toyo Celsius CUV in this case) is typical of the type, then perhaps all-weather tires should be demanded as standard OEMs for vehicles sold in Canada or anywhere that experiences winters. They are also thread rated to 100,000 kms (60k miles). From a safety and affordability point of view it solves a lot of problems and would be a win for consumers... and I'm not shilling for anyone. This is my experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yep. All weather tires are way better than all season tires. We had goodyear all season last year and they were almost useless. We have Cooper's this year and they are great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 v6 sport. Full sized spare so don’t need to find a set with run flats. What is the best bang for your buck for an all season tire that You’ve put on your rav? Anyone else from Colorado please comment :) thanks!
Just got a set of Michelin CrossClimates. Serious V treads going out from center on each side. And they are quiet as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts