Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best tires with snow & hills in mind?

I'm thinking about picking up a new RAV-4. 4WD, Automatic, standard LE. I love everything I read about it... except the tires. Ive seen a lot of people say negative things about them. Especially in regards to snow. I don't live in an area that gets a lot of snow (both in frequency or amount). But I am surrounded by hills. Steep hills. Even my parking lot has a mean hill. So when it does snow, I don't want to worry about it.

I want some good tires that can handle the snow. I think getting pure snow tires is a bit over kill. So maybe some all terrain tires? As long as they are built to really last and handle snow excellently... I'm happy with any suggestion you fine folks might throw at me.

Thanks a lot folks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Only real snow tires can handle snow properly - tires with the snowflake logo. For my wife's older Mazda 5 I use Nokian WRG3 all weather tires. These are real snow tires you drive all year round. For my RAV4 I put on Michelin X-Ice XI2 225/65R17 on separate rims.

I'm thinking about picking up a new RAV-4. I love everything I read about it... except the tires. Ive seen a lot of people say negative things about them. Especially in regards to snow. I don't live in an area that gets a lot of snow (both in frequency or amount). But I am surrounded by hills. Steep hills. Even my parking lot has a mean hill. So when it does snow, I don't want to worry about it.

I want some good tires that can handle the snow. I think getting pure snow tires is a bit over kill. So maybe some all terrain tires? As long as they are built to really last and handle snow excellently... I'm happy with any suggestion you fine folks might throw at me.

Thanks a lot folks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only real snow tires can handle snow properly - tires with the snowflake logo. For my wife's older Mazda 5 I use Nokian WRG3 all weather tires. These are real snow tires you drive all year round. For my RAV4 I put on Michelin X-Ice XI2 225/65R17 on separate rims.

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a gear head or know much about cars. But its my understanding that you shouldn't use snow tires outside of winter because they are soft and you will wear them out quickly. Is that true? If yes, are the tires you suggested fine to use all year around?

·
Registered
406 Posts
A 4x4 doesn't need snow tyres to get up a hill. It does need them to stop at the bottom when going down though ;)

It sounds like you want All Seasons or All Terrains. ATs are if you go off road though, so not needed for pure city use, but if you do go for them, make sure they have the Mountain Snowflake symbol as said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 4x4 doesn't need snow tyres to get up a hill. It does need them to stop at the bottom when going down though ;)

It sounds like you want All Seasons or All Terrains. ATs are if you go off road though, so not needed for pure city use, but if you do go for them, make sure they have the Mountain Snowflake symbol as said.
Forgive my ignorance, but how do All Season and All weather differ? I'm not going off road so I think AT' are overkill for me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're right. Running snow tires in hot weather wears them out much faster - they really shouldn't be driven faster than 120 kph either. Therefore the Michelins are taken off when winter is over (I usually wait until early April). The Nokians though are meant to stay on all year long - see them at: https://www.nokiantyres.com/tyres/suv-4x4-tyres/winter-tyres/.

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a gear head or know much about cars. But its my understanding that you shouldn't use snow tires outside of winter because they are soft and you will wear them out quickly. Is that true? If yes, are the tires you suggested fine to use all year around?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any tire called 'All Season' is NOT a snow tire. They do not have the snowflake symbol on them and are meant for warmer climates with little snow. Once the temperature drops below 7o C, the rubber compound in those tires start to get hard and therefore grip starts to fade. The Nokian tire on the other hand IS a winter tire, but it's design and compound are rated to be driven 12 months of the year even in winter climates like we get in Central Ontario.

Places like Quebec (most parts, I believe) in Canada have a law that says all cars must have dedicated snow tires on between certain times of the year. I wish they would extend this law to parts of other provinces like Ontario. Basically anyone living north of Toronto where the 'snowbelt' starts should have proper winter tires on or be prepared to get into trouble when the weather kicks in. Of course it's not going that's the main problem, it's stopping! (Here's a good article on why winter tires - Why winter tires? There are many reasons - WHEELS.ca)

Forgive my ignorance, but how do All Season and All weather differ? I'm not going off road so I think AT' are overkill for me.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

If climbing a slope or hill from a stop on icy surfaces or slushy surfaces, a winter tire will also provide traction.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds similar to my situation, not a lot of snow, but many hills. I live in the Pacific NW near the foothills and I do travel some over mountain passes as well. I recommend (and own) a set of Michelin Premiers, and they are the best all season tires I've ever run in over 40 years of driving these types of roads. We had about 4 inches of snow near the foothills (with a bottom layer of frozen slush) several weeks back and they handled excellent on untreated roads! They have a better snow ratings than many winter tires do, and when I tested I literally slammed on the brakes testing traction and they were very difficult to even get the abs to kick in. Near zero slippage, and great year round smooth tire. Here is the Tire Rack rating on them. #1 out of 42 tires rated, and 8.1 out of 10 on winter / snow which is also the top rated all season.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

·
Registered
28 Posts
My original Toyo tires were about half worn and I decided to try and get thru winter with them. After sliding thru a snow covered intersection I decided to replace tires. I put on a set of Goodyear Triple Treads and what a difference. They are a bit pricey but well worth it. They are quiet on dry roads and go and stop in the snow. I previously put a set of these on my Honda Odyssey when I had trouble getting out of my driveway that had about 4 inches of snow on it. I could not believe the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts