Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for an a reliable performance tire that handles snow, spring slush/mud, winding canyon roads (strong sidewalls), with limited stone retention in the treads as the vehicle travels some dirt/gravel roads - for a 2011 Limited V-6, 225/65/17 tire - any suggestions? Hakkapeliitta 8, Cooper Evolution, Goodyear Ultra Grip ???? Anyone with some good experiences that address the aforementioned? Have tried Yokohama Geolanders but not impressed.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I have the General Arctic Altimax winter tires which have proven to be quite good in deep snow. The treads are deep and the thread last a long time. The ride and handling is excellent also. There is a newer model which is suppose to be better called the General Altimax Arctic 12. General is offering a Mail In Rebate of $50 if you buy by Oct 31 for the Arctic12. This is a highly recommended winter tire.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Shopping for an a reliable performance tire that handles snow, spring slush/mud, winding canyon roads (strong sidewalls), with limited stone retention in the treads as the vehicle travels some dirt/gravel roads - for a 2011 Limited V-6, 225/65/17 tire - any suggestions? Hakkapeliitta 8, Cooper Evolution, Goodyear Ultra Grip ???? Anyone with some good experiences that address the aforementioned? Have tried Yokohama Geolanders but not impressed.
Generally good winter performance and good corner characteristics are not found in the same tire. Recently there have been some tires branded with the 3 peak mountain snow flake (3PMSF) rating that are not a full winter rubber compounded tire. https://www.rav4world.com/threads/all-weather-tires.301362/#post-2729706
These are said to try to straddle the 2 worlds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run Blizzak DMV-2 tires in the winter. Quiet and steadfast in all wintery conditions thus far, including gravel roads. I didn't monitor gravel retention, but never noticed it being an issue. It is an issue with my all-season tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Generally good winter performance and good corner characteristics are not found in the same tire. Recently there have been some tires branded with the 3 peak mountain snow flake (3PMSF) rating that are not a full winter rubber compounded tire. https://www.rav4world.com/threads/all-weather-tires.301362/#post-2729706
These are said to try to straddle the 2 worlds.
I started the thread about all weather tires that you linked. I have been intrigued by the concept since it was introduced a few years ago by Nokian and Toyo. All season tire are just not very good in severe winter condition such as I see in central NYS. Dedicated snow tires are definitely the answer for these conditions, however, few actually go that route even though they should. The hassle of changing tires/ wheels seasonally is a pita. i have been getting by with AS tires, but the stopping has been getting worse so I took the plunge to try the "All Weather Tires" I have no idea if they will live up to the claim of being a good winter tire, but I will find out.

I currently have about 500 miles on my the new Nokian WR G 4 tires. Yesterday, I drove about 350 miles through the Adirondak Mtn's to see the color change. I deliberately chose twisty winding roads, and some gravel to give the new tires a good dry road test. I must say I am extremely impressed with ride comfort, quietness, and most of all the high speed cornering. These tires have made me a much more spirited driver than I would ever have imagined driving a Rav 4. I had way too much fun. The grip is just amazing. So far these are really performance tires on dry pavement.

But - the reason for buying this type tire is for it's supposed good winter capabilities which remains to be seen. Right now though I am quite impressed. Stay tuned...

To answer the OP's question, My vote: Hakkapeliitta 8. BTW/ Nokian just opened a new factory in Kentucky. Previously only made tires in Finland and Russia.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I started the thread about all weather tires that you linked. I have been intrigued by the concept since it was introduced a few years ago by Nokian and Toyo. All season tire are just not very good in severe winter condition such as I see in central NYS. Dedicated snow tires are definitely the answer for these conditions, however, few actually go that route even though they should. The hassle of changing tires/ wheels seasonally is a pita. i have been getting by with AS tires, but the stopping has been getting worse so I took the plunge to try the "All Weather Tires" I have no idea if they will live up to the claim of being a good winter tire, but I will find out.

I currently have about 500 miles on my the new Nokian WR G 4 tires. Yesterday, I drove about 350 miles through the Adirondak Mtn's to see the color change. I deliberately chose twisty winding roads, and some gravel to give the new tires a good dry road test. I must say I am extremely impressed with ride comfort, quietness, and most of all the high speed cornering. These tires have made me a much more spirited driver than I would ever have imagined driving a Rav 4. I had way too much fun. The grip is just amazing. So far these are really performance tires on dry pavement.

But - the reason for buying this type tire is for it's supposed good winter capabilities which remains to be seen. Right now though I am quite impressed. Stay tuned...

To answer the OP's question, My vote: Hakkapeliitta 8. BTW/ Nokian just opened a new factory in Kentucky. Previously only made tires in Finland and Russia.
The all weather tires are ideal for some people and they have their place. It is better then all season tires for sure. I had spun out of control in all season tires just driving in very slushy wet snow which was very slippery. Luckily no cars were near or beside me at the time and I did not hit anything. At the time I was too cheap to go with winter tires. Every since that incident I said it does not take much to get into an accident. When I got my next vehicle I went with winter tires. They are expensive and you have the hassle of changing and storing them. But since you have two sets of tire that means the all season tires will last twice as long. Another thing is safety which means your life depends on how good your tires are. Lastly winter tires stop better and have better traction in deep snow which means better performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
handles snow, spring slush/mud, winding canyon roads (strong sidewalls), with limited stone retention in the treads as the vehicle travels some dirt/gravel roads -
So no ice mentioned. Do you need a snow/ice specific rubber compound? seems like that is the part that wears fastest, and the biggest negative to winter specific tires. That being said, you are going to come across ice sometime. On the stone retention, I wonder about the Cooper Evos, seems like an aggressive tread pattern well suited for much of what you describe

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run Nokian rotiiva tires on my 07. They are listed as in all terrain / All Season / winter / low rolling resistance Tire. I don't know how they do it. But they do. I can't wait till winter!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I run Nokian rotiiva tires on my 07. They are listed as in all terrain / All Season / winter / low rolling resistance Tire. I don't know how they do it. But they do. I can't wait till winter!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Nokian all weather tires are great if you don't like swapping snow tires or don't have room to store them. It is not as good as a dedicated snow tires but it does have some definite advantages.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I only run blizzaks on the rav in the winter. I'd actually be ok with some of the other top tiered studless winter tires like the Michelin ice-X.
The current blizzaks are almost worn half way down. So I bought a set of WS80s for a mid winter swap.

I am not a wealthy man, but I don't mind spending money on tires. That one time you step on the brakes and the car doesn't stop as you slide through a red light into a busy high speed intersection, you'll pay anything not to have that happen again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that shops like Discount Tire offer very good Black Friday deals on winter tires if you can wait that long. I think last year it was 20% off with free installation + some $ rebates. I sourced my TPMS sensors from TPMS.com at around 50% off retail prices - and Discount Tire installed and programmed them at no cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts