Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on winter tires for the 2019 rav4. This is going to be my first winter and i live in New-brunswick Canada and we get some crazy snow and will definitely going to be out there in the storm and stuff!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got a great deal on some continental vikingcontact 7 tires off blackcircles.ca. They were excellent last winter in Vancouver. Didn't slip once in snow or slush or icy conditions. They are quiet too. I would recommend.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in eastern Canada so definitely need studs I have been looking at the GT Radial IcePro SUV3

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
108 Posts
I'm using Nokian R3's. Excellent winter tire. Have used Blizzaks in the past and they were very good as well. KO2's have the winter badge but they are more of an all terrain type tire. The dedicated winter tires with lots of sipes and the soft rubber compound do the best in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you need studs, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9s are one of the best you can buy. Pricey though.
+1 on that. My default winter tire here in Massachusetts for the past 10 years or so (except for a stint on studded Gislaved before they were discontinued in the US). They grip on snow and ice amazingly well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looking for input on winter tires for the 2019 rav4. This is going to be my first winter and i live in New-brunswick Canada and we get some crazy snow and will definitely going to be out there in the storm and stuff!
Here in Minnesota I went with a Cooper A/T 235/65/17" tire with a 17" wheel, I'm really enjoying these tires and best of all I did't loose any MPG like others have.
Max1.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in Minnesota I went with a Cooper A/T 235/65/17" tire with a 17" wheel, I'm really enjoying these tires and best of all I did't loose any MPG like others have. View attachment 155985
these look like a great three season tire i would like to get for next season , i definitely need a dedicated winter tire for the winter tho

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the prairies and have been comparing some tires based on reviews online and also pricing out the tire-only totals at local big brand vendors (haven't gotten to online/smaller shops yet). I anticipate using 225/65/R17 tires on 17" wheels (putting winters on the original wheels, purchasing new wheels for the A/S tires), and going with the Blizzak DM-V2 tires.
Tire Costs.jpg

·
Registered
615 Posts
My only issue with the DM-v2 is that the winter traction doesn’t last as long as with the Nokians. The Blizzak WS90s are newer and supposed to last longer

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@foomingo why you want to run studless? And I also want to run the factory alloy for winters and get a set of aftermarket to run a/t

·
Registered
26 Posts
I suppose I haven't fully considered studded tires. Have only been driving on A/S (old highlander), A/T or X-Ice for my other cars. Don't require too much extra traction this side of town.

·
Registered
879 Posts
@Dsa420meh, how do the road crews do in clearing the snow? The reason I ask is that although all of these are winter rated tires, some are much better in ice than deep snow, and vice-versa. If you’re still getting the traditional (stereotypical) levels of snow, I’d consider something with more of a deep-snow bias instead of an ice-focused tire.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Foryota in Atlantic Canada we get both. Where I live now the temperature is a little warmer and definitely a little more ice for city driving. But my wife is a social worker and will be going to all kind of places for work city unplowd driveways and also out in less populated outskirts. As for me I will definitely venture in the packed trails for sure. I think I need somewhat of a more snow bias tire with studs.

Sorry for the long story i love my new rav and love this forum thanks for all the input

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (Blizzard Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic)
59 Posts
I anticipate using 225/65/R17 tires on 17" wheels (putting winters on the original wheels, purchasing new wheels for the A/S tires), and going with the Blizzak DM-V2 tires.
I ran a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi on a BMW X3 for about ten years and they were phenomenal in snow and ice (studless)! Planning on a more current version (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV) for a ‘20 XSEh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Found some used, compatible aluminum rims locally on Craigslist last fall. Mounted a set of ALTIMAX ARCTIC 12 - 225/65R17 . Love em. Quiet, smoother riding than the 18" all seasons it came with. Excellent traction and studible if desired. ..... Reasonable price.... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic+12&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=265TR7AA12XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2019&autoModel=RAV4+Hybrid&autoModClar=Limited&cameFrom=WinterSection&fromWinter=true#RatingsReviews

1 - 20 of 40 Posts