Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (Blizzard Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic)
59 Posts
Is it worth having tpms for winter other than having the annoying light
That’s a personal choice. On my X3, I got tired of seeing the TPMS light and not knowing if there was a flat. In fact it was low once and needed a repair.

Now, I chose to have TPMS (actually reusing the stock wheels for winter tires and bought a set of Camry/Avalon TRD wheels for summer use and added TPMS to them).

·
Registered
882 Posts
That’s a personal choice. On my X3, I got tired of seeing the TPMS light and not knowing if there was a flat. In fact it was low once and needed a repair.

Now, I chose to have TPMS (actually reusing the stock wheels for winter tires and bought a set of Camry/Avalon TRD wheels for summer use and added TPMS to them).
The alternative is of course pulling out a tire pressure gauge on a semi-regular basis, as we did before the nannies

That and a piece of electrical tape...

·
Registered
59 Posts
The alternative is of course pulling out a tire pressure gauge on a semi-regular basis, as we did before the nannies

That and a piece of electrical tape...
Yes, it’s important to check tire pressure regularly and adjust as the ambient temperature changes with the seasons.

I’m a tire geek and always look at the tires on my and other vehicles. I often find under-inflated tires and sometimes debris embedded in them. Then I leave a note or tell them. I was looking at the tires on a police motorcycle once, they asked what I was looking at, and I told them the front tire was mounted backwards. Another time, I was looking at the tires on a police car, they asked what I was doing, and I told them that there was a screw in the tire. I work for a city and these are my colleagues so I pay special attention to their equipment that I see.

So, visual inspection and pressure monitoring are important. As was pointed out, that’s all we had before TPMS. That said, there are a LOT of people running on tires that are under-inflated with likely no knowledge of it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yes, it’s important to check tire pressure regularly and adjust as the ambient temperature changes with the seasons.

I’m a tire geek and always look at the tires on my and other vehicles. I often find under-inflated tires and sometimes debris embedded in them. Then I leave a note or tell them. I was looking at the tires on a police motorcycle once, they asked what I was looking at, and I told them the front tire was mounted backwards. Another time, I was looking at the tires on a police car, they asked what I was doing, and I told them that there was a screw in the tire. I work for a city and these are my colleagues so I pay special attention to their equipment that I see.

So, visual inspection and pressure monitoring are important. As was pointed out, that’s all we had before TPMS. That said, there are a LOT of people running on tires that are under-inflated with likely no knowledge of it.
What a relief! Someone else leering at tires on other cars! I thought was the only one doing this... other drivers look at me funny if I tell them something (or a light out!)

Having come from working as a dealership tech, a particular peeve of mine new vehicles which haven’t had their tire pressures reset as the tech is supposed to do (gets paid for this). We rented a new Chrysler 300 two weeks ago and were the first to drive it. It felt funny, with a much sharper ride than it should have had. Knowing that L-body Chryslers actually report the pressures in the individual tires I flipped to that screen. Door panel recs are 34 all around, and the tires were (clockwise from LF) 41, 38, 39 40. SMDH. So I adjusted them myself when we got to our destination. Serves me right. Three days later, I ended up with a flat due to a screw, so we lost a couple hours getting that fixed.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 LE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Since I got the conversation going will 17x8 fit? I have been having a hard time to found a aftermarket wheel that a like with a offroad look to it and alot of them nicer ones are 17x7.5 or 17x8

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since I got the conversation going will 17x8 fit? I have been having a hard time to found a aftermarket wheel that a like with a offroad look to it and alot of them nicer ones are 17x7.5 or 17x8
Probably, it’s depends on the wheel offset and what you mean by fit.

This site can help you visualize changes in wheels, tires, and suspension Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

This site can help understand what widths are recommend for a given tire size 225/60R17 Tires

It depends on what tire you want to run. A 225/60R17 that comes stock on some RAVs is indicated to fit on wheels 6”-8” wide. At 8”, there will be very little rim protection from curb rash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ended up going with Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV winter tires. Now just waiting for my KMC wheels to arrive.

Was also debating the TPMS sensors - quoted $50 per sensor at the time of winter tire installation. Embarrassed to say that the annoying light might just be enough for me to throw an extra $200 on top of everything. However @TENSHI you bring up some very good points!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was also debating the TPMS sensors - quoted $50 per sensor at the time of winter tire installation. Embarrassed to say that the annoying light might just be enough for me to throw an extra $200 on top of everything. However @TENSHI you bring up some very good points!
I have read around here that the Canadian RAV4 does not have TPMS. Double check that before you spend $200 on sensors. I can't say for sure until mine gets here.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have read around here that the Canadian RAV4 does not have TPMS. Double check that before you spend $200 on sensors. I can't say for sure until mine gets here.
Canadian 4.3 models DO NOT have TPMS, so if you have a vehicle that was first sold in Canada, don’t waste your money on the sensors - there’s nothing for them to connect to!

Reactions: Dsa420meh

·
Registered
26 Posts
It appears you are right, @wishk and @Foryota. I called the dealership where I got my Rav4 to be extra sure. Thanks!

Guess that's one less thing to shell out for... Back to my ol' trusty tire pressure gauge.

·
Registered
882 Posts
For everyone here, please fill out the rest of the information in your profile - vehicle, trim, and most importantly your region. As JuneBug says, advice for Reading, PA is very different than advice for Reading, UK! Or Ontario CA vs Ontario CAN!

Reactions: Dsa420meh

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got a great deal on some continental vikingcontact 7 tires off blackcircles.ca. They were excellent last winter in Vancouver. Didn't slip once in snow or slush or icy conditions. They are quiet too. I would recommend.
This.

I guess your on red flag deals as well. I got the same tires with a killer price. A bonus was it came XL (extra load) for free! Now I have to find some 17x7.5 holeshot style rims. I can't wait to use them. I'm from Vancity as well.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
663 Posts
Got the Michelin Xice2's from costco last November when they were running their $100 rebate - they were fantastic in the cold quebec snow, much better than my previous Blizzak's on the late civic. They have a beefy presence too on black rims, not quite wildpeak A/T, but close. Can confirm no TPMS sensor on my '20 XLEh (thank god), I carry a digital gauge in my door that I check every 2 weeks, one less christmas light on the dash 🍻

Glad to see other users of RFD on here, there was a promo earlier last week on Bridgestone's costco was running, pretty sure the deals are going to start appearing soon! For anyone looking to pick up basic DIY gear, Crappy tire is running a wicked silent sale right now, got some 3T jack stands for $34.99, and a friend grabbed a $570 socket set for 80% off. Might have some other automotive goodies if you look.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
12 Posts
Hey everyone, this is the first post for newbie in this forum.

I purchased a set of Bridgestone WS90 from Costco.ca two weeks ago and have been looking for winter rims since then. I am debating if I will go with steelies or alloys. Actually I returned a set of steelies I ordered at the same time I got the tires. Now I am wondering if I made the right decision. can you guys provide any advices on the benefits from alloy rims over steel ones? for example, appearance, fuel efficiency, rustproof, etc? Thank you!
By the way, I decided to size down from 18" to 17". Does anyone know what OEM fitment for 17" rims? does 17x7 5/114.3 OB60.1mm, ET39 work on my RAV4 Hybrid Ltd? I got 225/65R17 tires.

One more question, are there any recommended TPMS other than OEM ones?

Thank you all!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey everyone, this is the first post for newbie in this forum.

I purchased a set of Bridgestone WS90 from Costco.ca two weeks ago and have been looking for winter rims since then. I am debating if I will go with steelies or alloys. Actually I returned a set of steelies I ordered at the same time I got the tires. Now I am wondering if I made the right decision. can you guys provide any advices on the benefits from alloy rims over steel ones? for example, appearance, fuel efficiency, rustproof, etc? Thank you!
By the way, I decided to size down from 18" to 17". Does anyone know what OEM fitment for 17" rims? does 17x7 5/114.3 OB60.1mm, ET39 work on my RAV4 Hybrid Ltd? I got 225/65R17 tires.

Thank you all!!
I see you’re in Ontario. I actually have a set of OEM steelies I’m getting rid of. Will pm you.

For your wheel questions, I’ve found www.wheel-size.com to be an excellent resource. Note that this will only list the sizes that were available, but doesn’t account for various trims (some models have larger front brakes than others).

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XLE
5 Posts
My dad and I have run snow tires on our cars for years in all parts of CO.
I preferred Blizzaks, particularly the DMV2 on my Tacoma. That was unstoppable in everywhere I went. Particularly one storm I was passing cars and SUVs stuck all over the place in a canyon and I was plowing thru it as a mild inconvenience.
However, I got like 2 seasons on them before it was useless (down to 6/32", like 15k miles.)

My dad preferred the Michelin Xi2 because they lasted longer with similar performance. But I felt like ice performance was better with the blizzaks.

Also heard good things about hakapellka (?) tires, but they were expensive.

Long story short, you could probably get away with all seasons, at least in Denver, but for max performance, and a few hundred dollars, you could make winter driving easier with any snow tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am new to jazzing up my car and personalizing it, ie. getting nicer wheels for winter as opposed to steel.

Has anyone had experience with alloy wheels oxidizing and becoming unstable after prolonged winter use? I was chided by a tire shop for purchasing wheels that were not "winter approved."

If it is a genuine concern, then they can easily become my summer wheels... But it isn't something I had considered before. Thoughts?

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
663 Posts
I am new to jazzing up my car and personalizing it, ie. getting nicer wheels for winter as opposed to steel.

Has anyone had experience with alloy wheels oxidizing and becoming unstable after prolonged winter use? I was chided by a tire shop for purchasing wheels that were not "winter approved."

If it is a genuine concern, then they can easily become my summer wheels... But it isn't something I had considered before. Thoughts?
Honestly depends how harsh your city salts. In Toronto, no wheel lasts forever... Even my steelies on the late civic called it quits after 8 years with decent enough care. I'm inclined to say fancier wheels won't fare better and loose their "finish" over time unless you OCD maintain them. Saying that, the biggest advantage you'll gain over steelies is lightness in weight which means slightly better gas mileage in the winter when it plummets. I averaged 6.2L/100km this past winter, and this summer 5.1L/100km.

Personally I like the additional weight since I think the car is more planted in the snow, and less likely to skid if that's a thing. My dealer gave me for free decent looking steelies if you're worried about the looks of the usual full covered ugly steelies (not my car, pic form reddit) OE Part Number: 42611-0R090, 42611-42250:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts