Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note. To make sure you have engaged your transmission correctly (for normal highway driving), make sure the display on your dash indicates it is in D not 4 (fore V6) or 3 (for the I4). This is for better gas mileage. The shift lever seems to flow into the 4 or 3 spot. Putting it in the 4/3 spot prevents it from going into the higher overdrive gear, thus reducing gas mileage, but gives you some engine braking. I guess I should have read the manual a little better. :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Our first test drive, the first dealer neglected to tell us that. OUr second dealer, showed us the ropes with the gear shift right away.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
When I test drove, I instictively notched the selector over to the left and my salesman immediately told me that the position locks out the overdrive gear. I'm used to a push-button selector or at least a little idiot light telling me that overdrive is disabled.

On a side note, I wish there was a light on the selector console that told me what position I was in... Having to look up at the dash display to confirm doesn't seem to be very intuitive...

R

·
0 Posts
I thought the new shift pattern was a little strange as well.

Pushing the OD button for added braking assistance had always seemed so natural.

I think you can get use to the new way in time. But, it did seem to kick over just a little to easy. Ii might end up there sometimes even if you do know better!!! So, this was a good post and reminder to pay close attention to the status of your shifter until it becomes second nature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts