Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sucks to be us in this dark ages state, eh.
I posted this in the PRIME confirmed thread earlier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucks to be us in this dark ages state, eh.
I posted this in the PRIME confirmed thread earlier.
Sorry, must have missed that. We have been on the fence between a Venza and the Prime...... This makes the decision a little easier.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No need to apologize. Good luck on the Venza and hope Toyota will actually be able to supply what they advertise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Frankly, I'd never buy a new car in its' first year of production. By the second year of production, they typically make a lot of small changes. But if you must buy one and don't live in a ZEV state, I'm sure you could go to one of those states and buy one. It is only a matter of money............

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok so per EV adoption Toyota has 95k tax credits left. Assume they sold 15k Prius primes since the numbers were updated, and this is 80k left. This year if they sell 5k RAV4 primes at 2021 start there would be 75k left.

I don't think Toyota will produce 75k total prius and RAV4 primes for the us market in 2021, regardless of demand. I think there will be tax credits left in 2022 and then if they expire that year there are 6 more months of full credit left.

So might as well keep on waiting. Better deals and a debugged vehicle will come along. Or competition...

·
Registered
713 Posts
We don't get EV's here either. No Hyundai EV, no VW EV, not even Tesla dealer - the closest being in North Carolina or Georgia - so you can go there and buy one but there are very few chargers anyway.

The upside is gas in the last 5 years has never exceeded $2.40 a gallon - hurricane's offshore excepted.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can drive to a state that sells them and get one. Check sales tax laws. Usually on new cars you pay sales tax to your home state. Make it clear to your dealer what you are doing so you don't pay sales tax twice. You may have to get special "transport" plates or tags too to take an unplated vehicle across state lines. Not expensive at all, just extra paperwork.

I would NOT fear getting a first model year. I think automakers put more effort into making a good showing. Higher attention to quality control.

I bought a year 2000 Honda Insight. First year they were available. Got number 2497 ever made. Was a trouble free car for 15 years.

I bought a year 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. First year they were available. Got one of the first 10,000 ever made. Was a trouble free car for 15 years.

I bought a year 2017 Chevy Bolt. A real early one. One of the first 3000 ever made. Has been a trouble free car.

I bought a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid. A really early one of this refresh year. Has been fine, except for the well known pervasive fuel tank issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm disappointed this wasn't made more clear 6 months ago when they revealed the Prime would be coming this summer. Living in Illinois I put down a deposit at a dealership that now won't get a Prime until next year. Buying a CX-5 next weekend.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Back oh: 15-20 years ago.... when hybrids were only being shipped to California, I drove my trade in to CA and drove a new Hybrid back to Colorado. A 1000 mile road trip is fun in a new car. Then my Colorado neighbor friend did the same thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can drive to a state that sells them and get one. Check sales tax laws. Usually on new cars you pay sales tax to your home state. Make it clear to your dealer what you are doing so you don't pay sales tax twice. You may have to get special "transport" plates or tags too to take an unplated vehicle across state lines. Not expensive at all, just extra paperwork.
What do you think of the "car broker" approach? Basically you pay a few hundred bucks to someone who contacts the dealers on your behalf, negotiates with them with greater skills than you will have, and finds you the best deal. If you like the deal part of the deal is shipping the vehicle on one of the high volume services, which only costs another few hundred bucks, which means it can come from several states over.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
988 Posts
I have done the go 2 states away twice. Cost was a temporary tag and a week or so delay in paperwork. And the cost of me getting to them and then driving back home. You can tell that I like this way as I did it again 8 years later, same dealer. I paid sales tax in my home state and transferred my old car's tags etc at the DMV. Trivial.

My only worry re doing this now with the Rav4 plug-in is there would be no one trained at my local dealer to handle any needed repairs for a while until the local dealer could sell them and thus had reason to get a mechanic trained.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just bought out of state at a dealer in an East Coast ZEV state last week (though I just bought the regular RAV4h, but anyone buying a Prime would go through the same). The dealer is well known on this board - in fact the same one Mike above me used.

Because I financed through the dealer (Toyota), their system calculated my state’s sales tax & fees. I was told I would receive a call a week later (this happened last Friday), with all the titling documents I needed overnighted the next day. They will arrive tomorrow, along with a check made out to my state for taxes/fees (only risk is they calculate too much and I need a new check). I will then take all that to the DMV/agency for processing. I also need to obtain my own safety & emissions inspections (though I qualify for a new car exemption for the latter in my state).

I was given a 60 day temporary registration from the purchasing state in the interim (which added maybe $20).

·
Registered
282 Posts
I live in a non-ZEV state which has its pluses.

I called Oregon Toyota and to be placed on the waiting list you must deposit $1,000 with no guarantee of color, price or package or availability.
Of course if they cannot deliver it is refundable but does anyone believe if you are one of the lucky 5,000 buyers the dealer will sell for MSRP

No way, greed will add $5k in dealer junk add-on and the XSE will go for $50k +

Toyota why hype up the Prime when only 5,000 will be available in only 12 States?

This just makes me feel like Toyota is artificially inflating the price by limiting the auto to 12 states and 5,000 produced.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have bought out of state and its no problem, however buying from a dealer 700 miles away, for a vehicle there likely not to get, and if they do it will be thousands over MSRP, and no one here will be able to fully service it - sounds like a loosing proposition.

In 10 years or less every manufacturer will sell EV's in every state for cheap. I'll just wait it out. Early adoption just costs too much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts