Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I have a 1996 RAV 4 (manual transmission) and just wondering if there are ways to get more fuel economy on my car. I am thinking of having the fuel injector changed as I am concerned more on saving fuel. If i clean my fuel injector, will that be enough to achieve my goal? Hope you can share some information here. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Aside from a good running engine, driving habits will be what you get.
Injector cleaning is always a good idea but if you are looking for big gains, this won't get a whole lot. Engine performance is a group effort. Clean injectors are complimented by new spark plugs, a fresh valve job, new filters, properly inflated tires, new wheel bearings etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom. Thanks for the pointers. I bought the used car 3 years ago with 90k milleage and now its just around 110k. I hardly do some engine check aside from the normal change oil, spark plug change and other wear and tear parts replacement. The engine response is good and performance is great. I used a code reader and got EGR check code but not sure if this was a major issue since i don't get any engine light on my dashboard. It might be an issue with previous owner and i assume they have already fixed this but forgot to erase/erase the code. I erase them and will be doing a check again to verify if this code comes back. Not sure though if this is affecting my fuel consumption performance???

I am planning to use the fuel additive (MG1) to help clean up my fuel injection and have read some article on the internet that this helps. My tires and rim are 17" and is not the original from Toyota. Summing up the above details, any further suggestions that most likely give a impact in achieving fuel efficiency?

Thanks for for any help in advance.

RAM

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Aside from a good running engine, driving habits will be what you get.
The OP hasn't said where he lives but if it's in a winter area warming up a car can significantly reduce mileage.

When did you replace the oxygen sensor? If it's getting older and faulty it will ruin the economy
If either O2 sensor was defective he'd get an engine light and a code.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts