Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flutes on the 4cyl oil filter are very shallow and I have tried 2 different wrenches (Caps) and they spin and don't grip the filter. Is there a better filter we can use. I have used OEM, Purolator, and Fram. Is there another size that will fit and be easier to come off?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts

I got one of these from Harbor Freight Tools to take off the difficult to remove spin-on oil filter on my motorcycle, and it works great.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I saw a mechanic changing the oil on my acura integra many yrs ago and he used a very "large" pair of channel lock pliers....I've used those on every vehicle I've owned since......the pliers above look like they work nicely also.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Wait, I thought all the 4.3s have the canister design filter with the replaceable element?

I'm not certain about the oil filter on the 4.3 RAV I4 engine, but if it's a canister type with a replaceable internal element one would not want to use the plier I suggested above for removal. I know that the V6 has that type of oil filter.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
I'm not certain about the oil filter on the 4.3 RAV I4 engine, but if it's a canister type with a replaceable internal element one would not want to use the plier I suggested above for removal. I know that the V6 has that type of oil filter.
If he has a 2006-2008, he has the traditional canister filter on his 2.4L. In 2009, the 2.5L was introduced with the same cartridge filter as the V6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts