Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found replacements or replaced the OEM shocks and struts on your RAV with more absorbent/better ones? It would be nice if the ride could be improved to make it less “busy”!

2015 RAV4 Limited

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this:

Says it will help with cornering and reduce nose dive when braking. No information about refining the ride.

Does anyone have expertise in this area who understands the ins and outs of changing shocks and suspension parts?

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's a lift kit

I happen to have Northwoods Performance springs and love them, but it depends what you want to do.

Bilstein makes some shocks for these cars which are said to improve the ride. What do you mean by a busy ride?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding!

By “busy” I mean bumpy, jittery and bouncy—but not extremely so. It’s just enough to jostle me around and make me uncomfortable. On smooth highways the ride is fine, but I drive on back country roads quite a bit.

I did get new tires that helped calm the car down. But tires don’t change the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would look into the Northwoods Coils and Bilstein shocks / struts. You can decide whether or not you want to do the lift, or just get the coils for the stock height fit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I put Monroe shocks all the way around my 2013 XLE at 135,000 miles. While seeming to smooth things out a bit--perhaps just returning the vehicle to how the factory suspension performed when new--I didn't notice any substantial improvement. Shocks/struts are still stiff and the back end is still just as clunky.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would look into the 4.5 gen shocks if they fit in a 4.4 gen RAV. They say the ride improved in the 2019 models so why not give those shocks a try if they have the same fitment as the 4.4 gen?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good suggestion—I guess first thing would be to drive a 2019 model and see how much improved the ride is. I remember reading somewhere that the 2016 shocks won’t fit a 2015 model. So the same might apply to 2019. But I will do some research and see what turns up.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mikey D. the heavy duty B6 Bilstein’s look promising. For the price they are worth a try.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has replaced their originals with these.:unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put Nissan Armada rear shocks on my 07’ v6 with H&R lift springs. You get a big beefy shock with slightly longer travel, no more bouncy rear end. They are very nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts