Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Better Shocks

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  arf 
#1 ·
Has anyone found replacements or replaced the OEM shocks and struts on your RAV with more absorbent/better ones? It would be nice if the ride could be improved to make it less “busy”!

2015 RAV4 Limited

#2 ·
Found this:

Says it will help with cornering and reduce nose dive when braking. No information about refining the ride.

Does anyone have expertise in this area who understands the ins and outs of changing shocks and suspension parts?

#4 ·
Thank you for responding!

By “busy” I mean bumpy, jittery and bouncy—but not extremely so. It’s just enough to jostle me around and make me uncomfortable. On smooth highways the ride is fine, but I drive on back country roads quite a bit.

I did get new tires that helped calm the car down. But tires don’t change the nature of the beast.

#7 ·
I put Monroe shocks all the way around my 2013 XLE at 135,000 miles. While seeming to smooth things out a bit--perhaps just returning the vehicle to how the factory suspension performed when new--I didn't notice any substantial improvement. Shocks/struts are still stiff and the back end is still just as clunky.

#8 ·
I would look into the 4.5 gen shocks if they fit in a 4.4 gen RAV. They say the ride improved in the 2019 models so why not give those shocks a try if they have the same fitment as the 4.4 gen?

#9 ·
Good suggestion—I guess first thing would be to drive a 2019 model and see how much improved the ride is. I remember reading somewhere that the 2016 shocks won’t fit a 2015 model. So the same might apply to 2019. But I will do some research and see what turns up.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.