Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, owned many Toyotas and getting older decided to move away from a Camry to a Rav4 because it doesn't sit so low to the ground.....but.
After purchaseing new Rav4 limited. Rear tires seemed out of balance and felt vibrations in seat at 70 to 75 mph since we purchased the vehicle. At 1500 mi took in to dealer and they balanced all four tires (Toyo tires). Same day took back because still had vibration. They rebalanced rear only. Still had vibration. They said if still a problem to bring it in and shop foreman would ride with me and evaluate. Next day took him for a ride and yes he acknowledged there was vibration in the seat at those speeds, gave me a rental and he would look into the situation. Got call next day that the vibration is "normal" and operating as designed. He had driven another new Rav4 from the lot and it did the same thing so the vibration is okay. He also rotated the tires and the problem did not change. Where I live the speed limit is 70 mph and when I had said the vibration is more noticable between 70 and 75, he said Toyota can't talk about any problems over 70 mph. Does this mean you can't sell a Rav4 in Wyoming where the speed limit is 80mph or Colorado where it's 75 where posted because of the vibration problem (a bit of sarcasm there you may note). If this is the norm should Toyota pull them from the market? The foreman said it may be in the suspension? Couldn't an automotive engineer figure a fix for this, or someone trained in "abnormal vibrations"? How about beefier shocks or springs? Anyone else out there had this problem or does my state have the only two bad ones. The foreman was nice but I have to drive a vibrating automobile for many more years. I love Toyotas and have owned them for years but!! Before you purchase a new Rav4 drive it at highway speeds and check for vibrations in the seat.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Welcome! The dealer is handing you a load of BS. It's possible that a tire or tires could be out of round and while they may do OK with a not-so-thorough balancing that would not sort out any out of round situation. Also RAVS obviously are designed so that they can exceed 70 mph comfortably. Haven't seen more than perhaps a few forum members complaining about vibration at speeds greater than 70 mph.

Reactions: albatross

·
Registered
209 Posts
try having the tires road force balanced, ask for the report afterward to make sure they don't lie about doing it.

I agree that they are giving you a load of crap, try calling Toyota corporate about it if you don't get resolution with the dealer.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
If it's bad enough, I suggest you replace the tires. Look at the reviews on tirerack.com. The OEM tires that come from the factory are terrible. But if they are in good shape, most tire shops will buy them from you.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Hmmm, I've had mine at 70-75mph many times, even near 90mph a time or two, no vibration from the Toyo A20s on mine, not that I'm in love with em, I've had much better Toyos in the past, but they'll work fine until they wear out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts