Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s hard to believe it but the info comes from a very reliable source!!!!!
New RAV will come in Greece THIS SEPTEMBER!!!
TOYOTA offices in Athens they don’t like to speak about and they still keep their mouth firmly closed. But I have checked this out from two totally deferent and absolutely reliable sources. I also fount out that from the 1st of the year people in major Greek cities can have cars with diesel engines!
Also the new Hilux will come at the same period with RAV. (End of September)
I can only tell you one thing. They are ready to make a big surprise to their competitors!!!!! New RAV will be a big surprise for all since there is NO ACCURATE PHOTOS ON THE NET AND SPECIALLY INSIDE PHOTOS! as my friends told me
So the previous info I had told you about the possibility of first appearance in Frankfurt auto show was correct.
Greetings to all.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
............................................. and the big news was??? !!! :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Sorry for the enthusiasm!
For me it is big news because I have already arranged with the local dealer to give away my pick – up truck (Hilux) and get the new RAV automatic in 5 doors with the new 2.2-turbo diesel engine 175 HP!
Usually we get our vacancies end of September… So this year hopefully the big trip to Crete will be with the new RAV!!!!
8) :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that's big news... cuz he said... no accurate photos... which means... everything we've seen so far is just some high school kid playing us around with photochopping.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it's really a big surprise that will freak out the competitor i'll probably stick with rav4 instead of BMW... cuz toyota is very good with their surprises you know.. like the new lexus IS for example... it's beautiful...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Levanter said:
:D Sorry for the enthusiasm!
For me it is big news because I have already arranged with the local dealer to give away my pick – up truck (Hilux) and get the new RAV automatic in 5 doors with the new 2.2-turbo diesel engine 175 HP!
Usually we get our vacancies end of September… So this year hopefully the big trip to Crete will be with the new RAV!!!!
8) :D
Levanter... I was just playing.... Happy for you !!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here in North America don't get too pumped-up about a Diesel. The big Companies say "we (north americans) don't want diesels in gereral and that we are not a viable market. I say with rising fuel costs I'll yank my 2.0 and throw in a diesel just to save on fuel. I may have to drive my Rav for the next 28 years to make I worth while because have you noticed that in this part of the world the diesel technology is extremly exspensive. Example VW Toureg is $20,000 more with the V 10 diesel. I'd rather spend it in fuel just on principal. Manufactures are Nuts. What do you think?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SPLAIN something to me....

I know everybody talks about Diesel being cheap... Really?

I see prices of Diesel around the country to be almost exactly same as 87 Octane... Am I missing something?

·
Registered
422 Posts
IIRC, the Turbo Diesel Rav gets something like 40 mpg, that's why the new diesels are considered cheaper. I think some of the VW diesels (cars, not necessarily the Toureg) get even more mpg.

Becky

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have friends with Jetta's and they get over 1000kms (610mi)per tank combined city/highway. The gas versions may get 490 or so. That is where you save. Less trips to the gas station. Works for me but not if I have to pay for it up front by pay too much for the car. Later.

·
Registered
771 Posts
P.S. Did you hear about the Jeep Liberty Diesel coming this fall? Competion for the Rav. I almost bought one (gas version) but came to my sences and bought my Rav. Wheue that was a close one! :oops:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey Becky! Don't your tires rub your wheel wells. You said they were 235 or 225/70R16 didn't you.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You do realize that your spedo is under by 5mph at 60. On the upside, it saves you from getting a speeding ticket and you will put less miles on your truck/ the wheels turn less. I may do the same because it does give more ground clearance. Good to know they don't rub. :wink: Maybe they will put bigger tires on the 06. They seem to be putting bigger tires on everything and the price on tires goes higher and higher

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here in Eastern Canada it is about the same price as regular gas. Today Gas is 91.9 cents per liter (U.S. gal. has 4 liters do the math) Yeah its expensive! The price for Diesel is 89.9 and "Bio-Diesel"(re-used Mcdonalds french frie oil combined with regular Diesel) is 87.9 cents per liter. There are huge savings because of fewer trips to get fuel but what I'm not keen on is that you have to pay more for the vehicle in the beggining. Its one of the oldest technologies and because of the growing popularity they suck all the money out of us for it. I guess thats life in the 21st century. M. Out! :?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Old technology as it may be, it used to be extremely dirty. It wasn't till the newer generations of diesels (such as the VW Golf TDI) that it has become environmentally friendly. Before it was really dirty, which turned off alot of buyers. Not to mention places like LA or Chicago didn't need the emissions from them. BUT, the current generation has less pollutants than a standard gas engine. Now than, as for why they cost more, well, popularity is one part. Another is the companies need to pay off the R&D on the technology, so the base price goes up for awhile and lowers later. Third, Americans still have a stigmata about desiel, which means they sell less, which means they produce less, which mean each engine costs more. And as for the price of Desiel fuel, in town I find it for 15 cents more per gallon, and out on the freeway at like truckstops, it costs less per gallon (also a supply/demand thing).

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If someone has an opinion about that please tell me….
FACTS.
1) Present RAV4 Diesel costs in Greece 3.000€ more than Rav4 gas and that will be the deference also for the new one.
2) Present RAV4 diesel comes only with manual gearbox!!!!!
3) EVEN the new one with the new 2.2 turbo diesel intercooler probably will NOT have automatic gearbox as my sources told me!
4) Present fuel tank is 57 liters and needs 4€ less if its diesel (0.98 for gas) and (0,91 for diesel)
5) With diesel RAV4 makes almost 220 klm more so another 18€ in kilometers
6) TOTAL deference in each load approximately 22 €!!!.
7) So to equalize the 3000 € I need about 136 fill ups!!!!

Conclusion
THAT WILL TAKE ME ABOUT 8 YEARS TO DO IT!!! :? I make about 12.000 klm every year! On the other hand I will not enjoy an automatic gearbox on my travels if my info is correct. :?
I am getting closer to have another gasoline RAV! :wink:
SO what you think about it …your opinion will give me a small help on that.
Thank you and greetings to all from Greece!

Ps. you can be sure that when I will take my new RAV I will fill up my album with a lot of photos. :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
They did some comparison in Oz a month back where they compared some peugeot diesel to its petrol (gas) counterpart.

With deisel costing more here, plus the fact the deisel car cost 4000 dollars more, they worked out it would take 4 to 6 years for the deisel to start having an advantage over the gas version of the car.

LPG here is about 45 cents a litre. Once you add the price of conversion, it would take you only 2 years to reap the benefits

Marcutio, I didnt think gas was that expensive in Canada!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts