Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How much is too much for tires? (Any Season)

• $400

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $600

• $800

• $1000

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me be the first to say that the new 17" Standard size and the 18" Option will be very expensive for the average "Joe" who buys the new RAV 4. Deffinately will be an eye-opener at replacement time.

People who love performance and big wheels certainly won't mind. For the masses out there who just want a good vehicle that will get them around where they want to go and do the things they need it to do will not like the fact that Toyota has cornered them into a HIGH PRICE tire market.

16" are expensive enough for a family of 4 who, every third or fourth winter, have to replace these things. At a ball-park # like $1000.00 the price will shock most. It is a reality in most cities around the world that this will be the price for a decent set of socks for the new RAV. I see figures everyday for $1200-$1400 that families making ends meet have to pay just to keep their cars/SUV's and P/U's on the road.

The first year for alot of models, requires you to buy your tires at the dealer depending on whether or not it is a new size. Tire manufactures eventually catch-up but not before you need those winter tires or even in some cases new A/S or Summer tires.

One of the "Make it" or "Break it" factors for me when buying a vehicle is the Price and Availability of the replacement tires for summer and winter. Some you can get some you can't get in winter sizes for the first year or so.

Do your homework. If you can't afford the tires you should re-think the vehicle (buy a vehicle with the ability to put on smaller sizes for winter). Many out there drive unsafe vehicles because the tires are too expensive to replace so they go beyond the safe amount of wear alloted. This make it dangerous for you and me too since they are the ones driving towards us at 70 mph.

Manufactures don't always see the big picture that the families they market to (house-hold income) cannot in many cases fit a $1200 set of tires into their budget for the 18" wheels Toyota has made them purchase.

To Toyota I say: "Shame on you!" Make the 16" an option that people can still use. Winter safety is an issue around the world and people will not replace their tires often enough if they now have to pay double for them. Bottom line, the new sizing doesn't fit the "average families" maintenance budget.

Later. M. :evil:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Bigger Sizes - More Money

Marcutio said:
Let me be the first to say that the new 17" Standard size and the 18" Option will be very expensive for the average "Joe" who buys the new RAV 4. Deffinately will be an eye-opener at replacement time.
Hey M,

I didn't really think about it, but could agree with most of what you said. I think the thing is, the tire companies stay in business by offering new tires in different sizes to fit all applications. Same reason the car companies don't settle on one type/model distributor, brake pads, or battery...

What most companies think is, "when everyone is buying 18" tires, the price will go down (while the 16" never will go lower than a set price) and then we'll start pushing 20" tires while we get ready for 22" tires"..

It's called the Microsoft Hardware model. Build bigger software so everyone will have to buy new hardware, which drives software sales even further.

Wayne

·
Registered
685 Posts
Tires or no tires......this will probably be my last RAV......I don't want or need a bigger RAV ........ :evil:

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Yesh, the 225/65R17's are more expensive than the old 235/60R16's, but not blindingly so... The Sport model, however, is a different matter with those 18" wheels...

I've been shopping around for a set of Yokohama AVID V4S and at the Tire Rack they're $84 apiece plus $40.80 for road hazard and $33.60 ground shipping -- still have to pay for mounting, balancing, valve stems, installation and disposal out of pocket. Tires more comparable to the factory Geolandars and Bridgestones run $93 & $94 each (plus all that other shtuff).

And then we get to the 225/65R17's -- Tire Rack has only two tires available: Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's for $117 and Yokohama Geolandar H/T G93B's for $129 each.

The kicker shows up for the 235/55R18's, but at least there's more selection -- Tire Rack has five different tires for those rims and they will run you as much as $207 each (plus all that other shtuff). Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's are $141, Goodyear Eagle GS-A's are $143, Yokohama ADVAN S.T.'s are $162, Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's are $165 and Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's are that evil sounding $207 (road hazard scales up to $99.36 for those puppies!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts