Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now running 31.5" tires on my '07 rav4. I'm happy to be humbled and hear this isn't the biggest, but I have spent around a year browsing for guidance and found none.

To fit 31.5" 245 75 17 tires on my 2-4" lifted rav I had to reduce tire rubbing points of contact:

1. Strut spring lower perch must be raised approximately 1" before mounting new tires.
2. Fender wells near the bottom of the body pan moved in.
3. The front structural bar may also need to be moved away from the tire.

Wheel spacers may help, but I haven't tried that yet.

I don't have all the answers yet on how to make this work without rubbing, but rough fitment is possible with changes to existing things. Possibility and recommendation are two different things, mind.

--
More notes:
1. The spring pressure must be safely reduced or eliminated to move or bend the spring perch. This might be better solved with coilovers. 1" is the minimum to clear these tires, another 1/4" - 1/2" will be good insurance on clearing the new tires.

2. Fender wells are easy to spot. You could preemptively work the problem area or put the tires on and hammer where it rubs the finish off.

3. The front structure is a light rub. I haven't figured out a good way to alter the bar. A small wheel spacer would probably solve this (5-10+ mm).

For legal purposes: You alone are liable for modding your car. This is not a guide on what to do to your car. Consult with your mechanic / dealer before doing any modifications to your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lift kit is not the most important to clear these tires. The strut needs to be modified, or swapped out to coilovers that don't have the clearance issue.

It started as a sport which is about 1" lower than a base model as I understand it.
I installed cheapo quick struts up front which would presumably be base height.
I installed a no-name kit for another year which is supposed to be 2" in the front and 1" in the rear.
I wedged in 2 types of spring boosters in to the rear sport springs to test out the height for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lift kit is not the most important to clear these tires. The strut needs to be modified, or swapped out to coilovers that don't have the clearance issue.

It started as a sport which is about 1" lower than a base model as I understand it.
I installed cheapo quick struts up front which would presumably be base height.
I installed a no-name kit for another year which is supposed to be 2" in the front and 1" in the rear.
I wedged in 2 types of spring boosters in to the rear sport springs to test out the height for now.
Oh hell..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I have eliminated the low speed fender rubbing (Item #2 from OP).

Now I just have to figure out how to get the tires to not rub the frame (Item #3).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Care to show how you modified the front struts?
I'll show the progress.
With respect, I was purposefully vague when I said alleviate the spring pressure and move the perch. It's a very dangerous operation if done improperly or without safety equipment. I am mostly informing people who can fill in the blanks with their own safe creativity, at their own risk.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Looks like you bent the coil bucket upwards. How does this affect how the spring sits in it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you bent the coil bucket upwards. How does this affect how the spring sits in it?
It might be a tiny bit higher and firmer in the front, or maybe not. Hard to tell a difference so far.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would be concerned since the coil spring is sitting on an angle at the bottom, that it might get dislodged or move slightly. Is the bucket only bent upwards on the outside facing side?

I have seen people cut the weld on the bottom spring perch and move it upward, then re-weld, but I am wondering about the long term effect of a coil spring sitting at an angle like that.

I'm not bashing, just curious as I have often wondered how to deal with the front spring perch as well when increasing tire size.

I do think the final result looks great

Also, your coil boosters... I am all for lifting but that is really not the way.

Be safe!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be concerned since the coil spring is sitting on an angle at the bottom, that it might get dislodged or move slightly. Is the bucket only bent upwards on the outside facing side?

I have seen people cut the weld on the bottom spring perch and move it upward, then re-weld, but I am wondering about the long term effect of a coil spring sitting at an angle like that.

I'm not bashing, just curious as I have often wondered how to deal with the front spring perch as well when increasing tire size.

I do think the final result looks great

Also, your coil boosters... I am all for lifting but that is really not the way.

Be safe!
It's all for fun. If you want to sponsor me some lift springs I'm totally down and will do a write up.

Update: 31.5" is not the biggest tire on record. Freedom4 has that number smoked by 0.1" on 265 265 18 (31.6" haha).

·
Registered
67 Posts
what is the biggest tire i can go up to without having to do these mods? I'm coming from a 4.2 Rav4 with 235/70/16's and just got a Rav4 V6 4WD so I'm trying to learn this 4.3 gen in and out. Looking to get some Cooper AT3 4s tires soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what is the biggest tire i can go up to without having to do these mods? I'm coming from a 4.2 Rav4 with 235/70/16's and just got a Rav4 V6 4WD so I'm trying to learn this 4.3 gen in and out. Looking to get some Cooper AT3 4s tires soon.
Welcome to 4wd V6. :)

Biggest stock 4.3 tire is 245 65 17 or 235 70 17 and it looks like the tire you want comes in both sizes. I'm guessing you drive in the snow since youre paying more for the severe snow service rating, if so you'll probably want the skinnier tire, the 235 70 17.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to 4wd V6. :)

Biggest stock 4.3 tire is 245 65 17 or 235 70 17 and it looks like the tire you want comes in both sizes. I'm guessing you drive in the snow since youre paying more for the severe snow service rating, if so you'll probably want the skinnier tire, the 235 70 17.
Awesome thanks! I live in LA so I'm just a few hours from a couple mountains (Mammoth Lakes and Big Bear) that I like to go for snowboarding in the winter. I have the Cooper AT3 4s on my 4.2 Rav and they performed really well in the little snow I did drive in so I'd like to bring that over to the 4.3. Still a little skeptical on how the 4.3 4wd will perform against the 4.2 full time, but for me personally it's more about where and how you drive the car and what lines you take. I do a lot of primitive camping in the desert and off fairly maintained forest roads in the mountains. Nothing extreme but I have taken my Rav places some of the people on this forum would tell me "tHe RaV iSn'T tHat KinD oF cAr!!" LOL... and did just fine. The Coopers along with the full time 4wd on the 4.2 really surprised me. However, I couldn't stand the little 2.0 engine any longer. It is so painfully slow... going up hills? Forget it. Might as well get out and walk. HUGE difference coming to the 4.3 V6. If only they were able to fit a V6 in the older gens... Anyways, excited to get to point A to point B without having to keep my foot glued to the floor!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
tHe RaV iSn'T tHat KinD oF cAr!!
Welcome! To the thread on the biggest tires. You are in good company. I drove down a river following a Land Cruiser on 35's for no particularly good reason, but they promised to pull me out if I got stuck (I did not get stuck). Only a select few will know the magical sounds of continuously scraping the 4.3 V6 4wd.

Still a little skeptical on how the 4.3 4wd will perform against the 4.2 full time
You can see discussions on R4W regarding this. And this famous video which shouldn't shake you:

Please watch this video before deciding Subarus have a far superior AWD system:

I have had no issues with the 4wd system. On dry rotted stock tires and blown out stock suspension I've taken it everywhere an old stock 4x4 with open diffs can go. I haven't had major traction issues yet and I've climbed some technical sections where F150s and Tahoes lose traction much faster than I and they use more momentum than me to get over. IMO once you need more traction and ground clearance than a 4.3 can offer, you're risking damage, so it's a not matter of ability but a matter of potential repair costs if you slip. I've been down trails where I'm often on 3 wheels and I had no issues with traction even on the dry rotted stock tires. Now, my modified ground clearance on the 2007 Rav4 is approximately 11 inches but I haven't tried it out yet. So a Subaru is not the cure most of the time in the off road real world (as opposed to engineer designed roller ramp tests and dead stops on dust hills). I go off road so rarely that even if I damaged the 4.3 and repaired it, I would probably still come out ahead in net vehicle operating costs (better MPG than a real off roader). And thankfully there's no one-wheel roller ramps on my commute. A last jab at Subaru: they are notorious for mods, loud exhausts, and teenagers zipping around like wannabe race car drivers. The Toyota is humble and delightfully boring. I like having the performance without the unnecessary attention from law enforcement.

This is a car discontinued in 2012, so this is a budget based discussion. If I ended up off roading much more often I would save up for a real off roader like a 4runner or Land Cruiser, lift it 2" and put slightly bigger tires on it. Part of Rav4 ownership for me is the acknowledgement that an off road car is more suitable to my needs than a lifted truck. I need to save money on gas and repairs, haul a family around, and invest for the future. The V6 and 4wd system keep the on and off road fun factors very present.

I couldn't stand the little 2.0 engine any longer. It is so painfully slow
This is what makes the V6 a great investment for me. I came from sports cars and motorcycles promptly to family-life and 4 doors. The Rav platform fills my responsible provider needs while the V6 is fast enough for spirited daily driving purposes. I don't need to remind you that these acceleration numbers match entry level sports cars of the same vintage.

Reactions: Mistermike
1 - 16 of 16 Posts