Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a potential RAV4 buyer. I recently test drove the Limited V6. Very impressed. I think my choice would be the Sport V6. I am VERY curious to know if anyone uses any of the new upright style hitch mount racks, like the Thule (Sportworks) T2 or the Yakima Hookup. I'm concerned that the spare tire will interfere with the bike handlebars. I'm also wondering if you can open the rear gate with the rack on (no bikes or course) without the door interfering with the rack. And i very much doubt that you would be able to fold the rack upwards, as it is intended although i would not be very concerned about that. The only time the rack will be on is if i'm carrying bikes.

Would be very appreciative of any advice or info you can provide.

thx.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I installed an aftermarket hitch on mine. This hitch "sticks" out a little bit further than the stock hitch. I can use my Yakima Rack, but as you can see in the photo, it is right against the spare tire cover, almost touching it. Another option is to remove the cover. But I think I'll be using an extender :D so that I don't damage the spare wheel cover. This hitch folds down so that I can open the rear door, but not fully.

I'm looking for another hitch, one that swings out.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
230 Posts
How hard was the wiring? Did you get a kit from the same people you got the hitch from? How you found an acceptable bike rack yet?

Thanks for your help...I know you didn't take me to raise!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I haven't wire in the hitch yet - might do it this weekend though... Got the wiring kit from where I purchased the hitch. Wiring doesn't seem to be too hard.

Haven't found a new rack yet, but I'm looking.

Don't forget to brush your teeth. And make sure you have clean underwear on just in case you get in an accident :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Johnny, I did see that picture in another topic here - that's one of the things i'm nervous about - that's way too close. And i would be worried about what the extender would do to stability. I would imagine you would get some more swaying. The whole reason i'm looking for an upright mount rack is because my new MTB has an irregular frame shape. I bought a Yakima frame style rack last year and now its useless to me. :cry:

I'm going to attach a pic of the Thule one I am likely going to purchase - anyone using it successfully??

I think you must be looking for something like the Thule trailblazer or the Yakima Fullswing for the swingout rack:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=998XT

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump

*bump*

Anyone know if the Thule/Sportworks T2 will fit? I have one on my Vue 3.5L and am thinking of trading for a Limited 4WD 3.5L. From how its mounted on my Vue, I think it might be a tight fit, but might work.

Just have to test drive a RAV4 3.5L 4WD and Mazda CX-7 AWD and make up my mind 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T2 on a hitch

Here is what it looks like on the Vue, I think the main concern is possible interference between the spare tire and right side bike wheel well/holder. The bike trays adjust 2.75" laterally in either direction, so you have some play but its nicer if the bike wheels don't stick out further than the width of the car.

The right wheel well is about 2x3" rectangle that is 2.25" out from the end of the receiver hitch. The top of this rectangle is 23" above the center of the receiver hitch and the right side of this rectangle is 16" to the right of the hitch's center.

So that means from the center of the hitch the rectangular space 2.25" out should be clear from 14" right laterally and 20" up to 16" laterally and 23" up.

If necessary, the wheel well can be pushed 2.75" further to the right.

Is this explanation enough for someone with a hitch to measure?

Also, I guess you could switch the front and back bike trays and this might become a non-issue as the spare is mounted off-center?

Lastly, what about unfolded rack interference. The highest part of this rack is 9.75" above the center of the receiver hitch. How much space is there between the center of your hitch and bottom of the back door?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grey Ghost said:
Thanks Johnny, I did see that picture in another topic here - that's one of the things i'm nervous about - that's way too close. And i would be worried about what the extender would do to stability. I would imagine you would get some more swaying. The whole reason i'm looking for an upright mount rack is because my new MTB has an irregular frame shape. I bought a Yakima frame style rack last year and now its useless to me. :cry:

I'm going to attach a pic of the Thule one I am likely going to purchase - anyone using it successfully??

I think you must be looking for something like the Thule trailblazer or the Yakima Fullswing for the swingout rack:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=998XT
Hey Grey Ghost, did you go through with the RAV4 purchase and were you able to hook up the Thule T2 or Yakima Hookup? I'm looking to go the same route. Thanks for your reply.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Grey Ghost, did you go through with the RAV4 purchase and were you able to hook up the Thule T2 or Yakima Hookup? I'm looking to go the same route. Thanks for your reply.
RailTrail... I cannot believe the timing of your post... I had my hitch installed today. I picked it up after work, drove home, threw my Bike in the back (which BTW, will fit in lying down - both wheels on) and headed to my local rack shop. After I came home I took some pics and I was in the process of editing them and uploading to my album when I saw your post. Guess its your luck day!

Anyways, as you can see from my album, there are no issues with spare tire interference. I cannot open the door fully with the rack in its normal riding position - but as the one pic "rear door clearance" shows, I can fully open the door when the rack is folded down - which is possible via removal of a cotter pin.

The spare is integrated so well into the rear gate there are no issues. I've noticed that the molded plastic wheel covers stick out a bit more, but as you can see from my pics my bike isn't even close to the spare so I still don't think there would be an issue. The rack seems to be designed with rear spares in mind. Only thing that you have to watch is the new length that's added to the vehicle - it is a long rack.

Anyways, hopefully this thread will help you and other prospective T2 buyers.

Cheers, GG.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet DW-link bike ;)

If you swap the positions of the front and rear trays, couldn't you open the rear door a bit without having to fold the rack down (ie the wheel well will be out further so you can at least get in the back a little more without pulling the ping and folding it down?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
syadasti said:
Sweet DW-link bike ;)

If you swap the positions of the front and rear trays, couldn't you open the rear door a bit without having to fold the rack down (ie the wheel well will be out further so you can at least get in the back a little more without pulling the ping and folding it down?
DW-link?! That's all Maestro! :D

Didn't really think about the possibility of further door swing... I had told the guys to install the trays like so in order to minimize the spare interference - but looking at it now I could probably get away with it... Might have to take a look at that.

Thx.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its pretty easy to put together the T2 and/or reposition the trays.

I've owned all three generations of this Sportworks design (Thule bought Sportworks [best design on the market] and abandon their own efforts)

Maestro is infact a DW-link design, we'll probably be seeing some legal action sometime soon. I know and have met DW numerous times and he's a great engineer/guy - hope David slays Golaith(Giant).

A little history - first Giant tried to rip off the VPP but they had to redesign and came up with the DW-link ripoff (not their first time ripping companies off - they also have used the Specialized Horstlink on most of the products worldwide but only are licensed and sell the NRS with horst-link in the USA). IH's legal team isn't as strong as Specialized or SC/Intense, so we'll see what happens.

IH currently isn't really an option for most Canadians as its distributor (Sportschek) is a joke of a bike shop chain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for posting the pics. Looks fantastic (especially with the Reign)! I was on a ride last night with a buddy on a Faith who's deraileur hanger broke 3/4's way through a 16 miler with no replacement :cry: .

I just picked up my new RAV today along with the Thule T2. Totally stoked! :twisted: Now I just need a receiver. Are you able to fold up the rack when not in use? Do you ever see yourself putting 4 bikes on the back?

Grey Ghost said:
RailTrail... I cannot believe the timing of your post... I had my hitch installed today. I picked it up after work, drove home, threw my Bike in the back (which BTW, will fit in lying down - both wheels on) and headed to my local rack shop. After I came home I took some pics and I was in the process of editing them and uploading to my album when I saw your post. Guess its your luck day!

Anyways, as you can see from my album, there are no issues with spare tire interference. I cannot open the door fully with the rack in its normal riding position - but as the one pic "rear door clearance" shows, I can fully open the door when the rack is folded down - which is possible via removal of a cotter pin.

The spare is integrated so well into the rear gate there are no issues. I've noticed that the molded plastic wheel covers stick out a bit more, but as you can see from my pics my bike isn't even close to the spare so I still don't think there would be an issue. The rack seems to be designed with rear spares in mind. Only thing that you have to watch is the new length that's added to the vehicle - it is a long rack.

Anyways, hopefully this thread will help you and other prospective T2 buyers.

Cheers, GG.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts