Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They cut through the lock cables and took two bikes off my Rav4 while we were sleeping in a motel so I am wondering if there is a way to trigger my existing car alarm in an external addon gadget which detects motion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it's an aftermarket alarm, I would think a pin switch or a magnetic switch could be wired in. A motion detector could have a lot of false alarms. But the best deterrence of theft is to take your bikes into the motel. I've seen locked bikes with missing front rims and missing seats.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
As suggested take them inside. What good would an alarm do when you are sound asleep and half naked?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your sugestions guys,I am going with a breakaway switch in series with the locking cables which ultimately triggers the car alarm. My bikes would surely break down immediately if the saw me half naked ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
As someone who used to ride 4K-5K miles per year, I always took my bike inside when traveling with it. It didn't matter where I was, the bike stays in the room when I'm not riding it, no matter how I had to fit it in.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
As someone who used to ride 4K-5K miles per year, I always took my bike inside when traveling with it. It didn't matter where I was, the bike stays in the room when I'm not riding it, no matter how I had to fit it in.
Ended up in one particularly nasty town where I did that with the motorcycle.

That was an uncomfortably warm night with the heat from the engine.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
We travel with our bikes all the time, both for racing and just riding. We figured out a way to put two of them inside our 2005 RAV4 with plenty of room for "stuff" around them, including our travel cooler. If we haul more than the two inside, we have a roof rack they go on. We ALWAYS take the bikes inside, even those in the car. I would NOT be pleased if my amazing Time Trial bike was to disappear. Would I leave my girlfriend outside? No. I love her more but I still really like my bikes and don't trust people enough to leave them out. We have folding FEEDBACK bike racks that hold them up in the room. I have never had anyone question us taking the bikes into the room. Even upper floors: they are light; carry them up....or use the elevator. Bikes are perfect targets, regardless of HOW you have them attached to the car. Removing the rack with the bikes on it is not an impossible task. Take them in....as has been pounded in above. Colorado: a $500 car with a $3000 bike on the roof......:D

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'm with Roadjunkie. Removing the wheels takes less than a minute, and the bikes take up very little room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts