Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i think i'm about to change my shocks, i'm planning to change them (front, rear) at the same time. my only question is, while i'm searching for shocks, i noticed that bilstein have two kind of shocks for the rav, one is HD (heavy duty) and the other one is the sport. do anybody have any idea whats the difference between the two shocks? the ride? and also maybe you can suggest, aside from bilstein a better shocks for my rav. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
650 Posts
HD are meant to be used with stock springs and SP with lowering springs.

I'm looking into doing something in the future also. The problem I've run into is that my front struts are sealed and so far, I havent found too many options.

Which RAV do you have? If you have the L edition, your front struts are sealed.

Besides Bilstein you can look into Koni's.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Actually, I believe that if you have the 4.1.1 you have the insert strut and if you have the 4.1.2 you have the sealed type. If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh... i forgot to mention i've got an '00 rav NOT L edition. is it difficult to replace the shocks? i'm planning to purchase the shocks and installed it by myself...

Q

·
0 Posts
u can use the hd on lowering springs. i worked fine in my car and w/ the tein stec springs paired w/ it, it actually had a nice firm ride. the handling improved big time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
"HD" are "heavy duty" normal type shocks for stock springs. black color.
"B6 sports" are gas type mono-strut shocks for stock springs. yellow color.
"B8 sports" are gas type mono-strut shocks for lowering springs. yellow color.

don't use B6's with lower springs or B8's with stock springs... or "BANG", toasted shock!!

i have B6's with the stock springs & no problems!!

Q

·
0 Posts
actually the b6's is what i had...they didnt blow n they were fine and i prolly had one of the most aggressive drops on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts