Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Bilstein has front struts for the 4.1, 4.2 and the 4.4 RAV4. From what I can tell the 4.4 strut looks almost identical to the 4.3 strut. Has anyone verified if the 4.4 struts fit the 4.3?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bilstein does not make struts for the gen3 RAV4. The Gen4 struts will not fit. What about getting the Sports struts from Toyota?
Thanks for the reply. Well, your correct. It's not on their website, Just the shocks (B4). However, Deaver in SoCal and Northwoods said B6's will work.
It's just 1500.00 for springs and struts is less than 800bucks, hard to stomach 700bucks extra because it's a kit. I don't mind spending money as my
full Kings suspension on my other vehicle are way more than what my 4.3 costs. I just don't like wasting it for nothing. Even though its a RAV, IMHO no vehicle
should use spacers or body lifts, etc.

If I find anything I will post up! Thanks

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have talked (email) with a Bilstein rep and they say they will make them soon.
He also stated that they don't make a B6 model for our gen is because of technical compatibility with the active stability software.

I have asked KYB and Gabriel and they don't have monotubes for those either. KYB makes front struts and also loaded assemblies (spring+strut).

Probably that's why everyone that makes brake pads don't provide an upgraded front compound either for the V6 bigger discs (296mm), but they do for the smaller 4 cyl discs (275mm).

Using the 2013 4 cyl year shocks and struts in a V6 is not appropriate IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm wondering what Northwoods does then for our vehicles? I'm wondering if they are modding it? But good to know that
they are making them soon. Hoping that soon is within a year!

·
Registered
2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 Limited GSA33W (Raiju)
56 Posts
People in the 3rd gen RAV4 group on Facebook have installed B6's on their 4.3's with no issues with the VSC. Pics from the post.

I have a set chilling in my closet with Modellista lowering springs from the 350G Vanguard already mounted.

Another option is the B14's for a 60 series Toyota Harrier Hybrid

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very Nice 84 (y)

Nice to see more technical posts like this on this forum vs. how to change oil or spark plugs. Thank you for doing so. I'm planning on going the other direction, up an inch but under 2.
I'll have to look to see what PN#'s they are using. What swaybars are you using? Smart on new tophats and endlinks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The sway bars are by Cusco meant for the 60 series Toyota Harrier. Front 30mm hollow and a solid 25mm for the rear.

I went full quick strut so, I could swap em easier. Just if the rona would go away so I could have some help. Otherwise I', gonna need a week of sunny weather (which never happens)

Reactions: neuropr and JWILSON

·
Registered
56 Posts
Might as well update. Monday I had my install day.

The springs still need to settle so it may go lower.

Reactions: FWYT and JWILSON

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might as well update. Monday I had my install day.
View attachment 153396

The springs still need to settle so it may go lower.
View attachment 153397
BRUH!!!!! Nice!

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Toyotas, and have just picked up a 2010 Rav4 base. I've been looking all over for info on decent suspension. Thank you!

Hey, do you have the link to the FB group? I want in on that tech info. I thought I was going to be doomed to KYB or worse. I just knew someone had done the cross referencing work! Thank you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
BRUH!!!!! Nice!

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Toyotas, and have just picked up a 2010 Rav4 base. I've been looking all over for info on decent suspension. Thank you!

Hey, do you have the link to the FB group? I want in on that tech info. I thought I was going to be doomed to KYB or worse. I just knew someone had done the cross referencing work! Thank you!
Its the Toyota Way, parts from many cars on the same platform fit all within that platform. The 3rd gen rav4 are on the New MC platform so all cars suv's on that platform something will fit.

I have been working with TEKSMRT to find as many parts as possible.

The New MC Platform consists of
Toyota AlphardAH20 (2008–2015),[2] AH30 (2015–present)
Toyota AvensisT270 (2008–2018)[2]
Toyota AurisE150 (2006–2012), E180 (2012–2018)
Toyota CorollaE150 (2006–2013), E170 (2013–2019)
Toyota Corolla RumionE150 (2007–2015)*
Toyota HarrierXU60 (2013–2020) *
Toyota Mark X ZiOAA10 (2007–2013)
Toyota PreviaXR50 (2006–2019)
Toyota PriusXW30 (2009–2015)*
Toyota Prius vXW40 (2011–present)
Toyota RAV4XA30 (2005–2013), XA40 (2013–2018)*
Toyota VersoAR20 (2009–2018)
Toyota SaiAZK10 (2009–2017)
Scion tCAT20 (2010–2016)
Scion xBE150 (2007–2015)[2]
Lexus CTZWA10 (2011–present)*
Lexus HSANF10 (2009–2017)
Lexus NXAZ10 (2014–present)*
Lexus LMAH30 (2019–present)

*So far sway bars, shocks/struts/coilovers, adjustable end links, adjustable toe arms, adjustable rear upper control arms interchange with these cars (mostly 60 series Harrier). I'm always cross referencing.

Next is the possibly of utilizing Cusco chassis braces for the 60 series Harrier, or F Sport chassis brace kit for the CT200h.

As for the Facebook groups there are many and Im in most of em, so it TEKSMRT.

Reactions: FWYT and TEKSMRT

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It might be the same platform, but the spring rates and the damping curve are different between different models, based on some elaborate calculations about axle unspung weight, payload capacity, towing capacity (if provided). Structural members (front subframe, rear one if present), that are part of the "platform", are factory variances between different cars.
A Prius rear suspension crossmember is nothing like an 4WD RAV4. Front subframes are not exactly identical either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It might be the same platform, but the spring rates and the damping curve are different between different models, based on some elaborate calculations about axle unspung weight, payload capacity, towing capacity (if provided). Structural members (front subframe, rear one if present), that are part of the "platform", are factory variances between different cars.
A Prius rear suspension crossmember is nothing like an 4WD RAV4. Front subframes are not exactly identical either.
And that is where the fun comes into play. My B6's are for a 4th gen rav4 which is close and ride nice, the springs are Modellista for a GSA33W Vanguard which is the same chassis as mine, and the sway bars are from a 60 series Harrier which is only 15 pounds lighter than the rav4. You need to put the book down and enjoy some testing and development on your own.

Reactions: FWYT and TEKSMRT

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
And that is where the fun comes into play. My B6's are for a 4th gen rav4 which is close and ride nice, the springs are Modellista for a GSA33W Vanguard which is the same chassis as mine, and the sway bars are from a 60 series Harrier which is only 15 pounds lighter than the rav4. You need to put the book down and enjoy some testing and development on your own.
How is the ride on extremely bumpy roads? My Sport has a terrible ride on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
We don't have proper testing equipment. I would not rush to do changes just because it looks good theoretically.
I actually have emailed Bilstein technical support about the B6 shocks and they said that they are not appropriate for my Gen 3 RAV4.
Like they actually didn't want my money.
I also have asked KYB about monotube shocks for same Gen3 and again they told me that there are compatibility issues.
If you think they are both stupid... More power to you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We don't have proper testing equipment. I would not rush to do changes just because it looks good theoretically.
I actually have emailed Bilstein technical support about the B6 shocks and they said that they are not appropriate for my Gen 3 RAV4.
I also have asked KYB about monotube shocks for same Gen3 and again they told me that there are compatibility issues.
Actually if you want KYB's look into some KYB SR Specials for the Vanguard
Your part numbers below.
Front (R): NST5396R
Front (L): NST5396L
Rear: NSF2106 X2

And your other point I dont think companies are stupid. I'm just not into what something was designed to do, I'm interested in what they can do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How is the ride on extremely bumpy roads? My Sport has a terrible ride on bumpy roads.
Fine, though I'm not finished yet. I figured since I'll have this one chance of an alignment I should do a couple other bits. Look into Spoon Rigid Collars.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Rush to do changes? Who's rushing? Your response is short sighted and interpreted as if @84hachi hasn't spent hours, days and week researching his information.

Just curious, have you ever modified ANY vehicle yourself without a manual or are you always a strictly "by-the-book" type of person? Did they at least give you a reason besides "not appropriate"? That is the kind of response I'd expect a parent scolding a child - "because I said so". Every time someone speaks of a mod that isn't "by-the-book" it appears to be frowned upon and that does nothing for innovation and creativity.

I'm not typically satisfied with any answer without knowing the real reason. To me it sounds like the company just haven't spent time doing R&D yet. I'm also the kind of person that likes to figure out a solution when there doesn't appear to be one listed in a book or manual. If there were issues with @84hachi installing the Bilsteins, he would know about it by now. Just because a company doesn't have a product listed as available for a specific vehicle typically means they haven't had that specific test mule vehicle because either (A) they were shortsighted or (B) they couldn't invest in the R&D - leaving that to us regular folk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SWEET!! Thank you for the info! I'll have to do some homework on these various models and getting the parts. I might drop you a PM for specifics if that's OK? Who is the US distributor for Modellista? Or would the H&R springs fit the Bilstein B6 struts?

My experience is with a couple Toyota trucks, 22RE motors. Put 300k miles on one and 450k miles on the other. So some of these names are new to me. Man, those little trucks!! Heck, I converted mine to power steering with just a pump, pully and steering box from another Toyota truck! $250 in used parts and straight bolt-in! I miss that simplicity!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts