Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have a 2009 base 4WD 4 cylinder Rav4 and I've been grappling with this issue for a while and am at a total loss... My power locks and windows are all broken from both the individual doors and the master switch. Each time I accidentally use the switches that don't work, I blow the 25 A door fuse below the junction box. I've crawled through these forums extensively, and have tried replacing a myriad of fuses that have solved others' issues to no avail. I had an really mean mechanic take a look at the wires going through the door boot to check if any of them were frayed/broken/ungrounded and all he did was rip out my remote start, 'repair' the connections and yell at me for trying to fix myself. I'm at my wits end! details below:

I had an aftermarket remote start installed close to 10 years ago now that never gave me any issues until this year it just quit working. I took it to some guy in town that does remote starts (I live in Wyoming now and the service options are limited...) and he put in a whole new remote start. He did not change any of the existing connections and simply attached the new remote start wires to the old ones. He also replaced the speakers on my front doors, meaning he had to take off my door panel and disconnect my door/window master switch and reconnect it after. When he reattached the power lock and window switch, all windows and power locks completely stopped working. He noticed the 30A power fuse in the junction box had blown and after replacing this the drivers window started working again; no locks, no other windows. He was super nice about it, but also was adamant that there's not really a wrong way to disconnect and connect the window module as its just a simple plug and play. Since then, I have replaced both the 30A and the 25A fuses and have replaced the window/lock module entirely twice. I'm hoping its not a ground issue with my wiring because no one in this town (besides the mean guy) offer the service, or probably want to, trace all my connections to diagnose the issue. I am even more nervous that something wonky is happening with the wiring due to the original or subsequent installation of the aftermarket remote start (or maybe the speakers??). Are there any fuses I should double check? If the fuses are blowing when I plug in or unplug the door module, could something weird be happening with the wiring into the door module that fries it whenever I try to use it? Willing to try anything relatively easy before I bite the bullet and drive 5 hours to the nearest Toyota dealer.

UPDATE** I switched out both the Power and door fuses one last time and now I can roll down my rear windows as well as all windows from their individual door switches. Using windows doesn't blow the door fuse, it seems to be the lock/unlock button on the master switch that does it. I'm pretty positive there's an issue with the lock/unlock wire somewhere, but I have no idea how to read wiring diagrams. Any other resources I can look into that could help me identify/trace this wire?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
There is a wire some where that is either damaged or getting shorted maybe loose. The power lock/window wire is probably one of the wire (on driver side in the front). So just follow the wire for the power lock/window and see which one is the problem. Can you take the door panel off and fix this?

The fuses blow because there is a short (you turn on the door lock or window and the power is touching a ground) and don't take it to Toyota. This means you have to give your right hand if they try fixing it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had an aftermarket remote start installed close to 10 years ago now that never gave me any issues until this year it just quit working. I took it to some guy in town that does remote starts (I live in Wyoming now and the service options are limited...) and he put in a whole new remote start. He did not change any of the existing connections and simply attached the new remote start wires to the old ones.
Toyota door uses ground trigger for lock/unlock, if the new remote start uses +12V to lock/unlock, the trigger wire is getting shorted, which could blow the 25A fuse. Can you disconnect all the connectors to the remote start and see if the lock/unlock works? If the remote start is configured as normally closed, you can still drive the vehicle without the remote start functioning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toyota door uses ground trigger for lock/unlock, if the new remote start uses +12V to lock/unlock, the trigger wire is getting shorted, which could blow the 25A fuse. Can you disconnect all the connectors to the remote start and see if the lock/unlock works? If the remote start is configured as normally closed, you can still drive the vehicle without the remote start functioning.
Unfortunately when I took it to another mechanic in town to take a look at the issue, he removed my remote start entirely. He said he repaired all the connections that were part of the remote start, so hopefully this isnt the issue. After replacing both the power 30A fuse and 25A door fuse one last time, I can now operate all windows from the drivers panel except the passenger window. All windows can be operated by their own door switches. I have found the door fuse only blows when I try to lock/unlock using the driver door switch, so I'm thinking its like the lock/unlock wire. Still doesn't explain why the passenger window wont work though....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts