Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. First time poster and occasional lurker.. I have a black 09 base and have been reasonably happy with the finish until recently. Paint is starting to oxidize a little on the hood but it's not too bad and that appears to be the worst of it.

My plan is to use a RO polisher from PC or Griots. My question is whether Toyota has a preferred system for their paint? If not, what have others here had good luck with? I plan to start with clay and go from there. Kicker is that I really REALLY hate swirl marks.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
The Griot's buffer is head & shoulders above the PC, I have both and a Cyclo. Get the Griot's 6" with the longer cord, it's worth the little bit extra. Also get a 5" backing plate along with some 5.5" pads.

There is nothing special about Toyota paint but it can be a little bit soft. Start with the least aggressive polish & pad combo on a trial spot and check the results. Go from there depending on how well (or not) it worked.

Here's one I did several years back that came out very nicely. Click for larger image.

235.JPG

239.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Menzerna polishes are my preferred brand. As I recall I used a Lake Country flat white 5.5" pad on the Griots machine. I don't recall the sealant I used, I think it was Wet Paint.

EDIT: Now that I've had time to think about I believe I used this as the sealant:

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Menzerna polishes are my preferred brand. As I recall I used a Lake Country flat white 5.5" pad on the Griots machine. I don't recall the sealant I used, I think it was Wet Paint.

EDIT: Now that I've had time to think about I believe I used this as the sealant:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.
Good to know. Now I just have to look around here to see what to do about a few key scratches. Neighbors stink sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts