Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the processors in the Rav's have the capability of recording the speed and other driving characteristics that can be read for proof of fault in an accident. I know there are a few vehicles that have this (Black Box) built in.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
etop said:
Does anyone know if the processors in the RAV's have the capability of recording the speed and other driving characteristics that can be read for proof of fault in an accident. I know there are a few vehicles that have this (Black Box) built in.
All cars with OBDII interfaces can relay limited chunks of data, and with the assistance of software and devices like the CarChip, it can be downloaded and analyzed on your computer. The amount of data it stores varies depending on the particular model.

The E/X model also features what they call an "Accident Log", which is a recording of data for the last 20 seconds before the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

·
Registered
420 Posts
flyingn said:
Like Tony says.. Most likely yes. Most OBDII vehicles do..
The black box capability has nothing to do with OBD-II. And in case of 4.3, there is no "most likely" about it. It says "yes" right there in the manual, and lists characteristics that the box records. The next page has the Toyota privacy policy (which is quite weak - anyone who is an "authority" can get the data, without a court order). Do you guys even read your manuals?

·
Registered
234 Posts
zaitcev said:
Do you guys even read your manuals?
First thing I did - also read that to my wife about the "black box" and how it is recording key functions. And how it can be given to almost anyone :shock: 1984: Only 12 years late... :twisted:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you who don't take the time or don't have the time to look closely at the owners manual, the info on the black box is on page IV at the beginning of the manual.

In the event of a serious accident, the black box records your engine speed, brake usage, vehicle speed, accelerator position, seat belts usage and other info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts