Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2014 Rav4 at the end of February. It is Toyota certified with 12k miles. Just noticed (as I was washing the car) that the black plastic parts of the back bumper look like they are actually peeling? The underneath is very dull. Is this something that should be covered under warranty? It's not cracked or anything, just "peeling" and looks like crap.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is it possible that the previous owner, or dealer, treated the bumper with a bumper coating, such as Back to Black, or something similar. Now it's peeling off.....
Most black exterior vinyl will get dull or even greyish if it is exposed to the sun long enough....doesn't look good so most owners will try some sort of commercial product to restore that "black"..........

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Almost looks like someone plastidip sprayed it or something. That doesn't look normal in my experience.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Yeah, it looks like somebody painted it and didn't use paint made for plastics. The paint has to have a plasticizer in it to make it flexible or else it will flake off.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Which is the OEM bumper finish - the rest of the bumper, or the part from which the finish apparently is peeling? Whether the problem is a defect or the result of someone's using an inappropriate product depend upon which is which. From the pic it appears that the factory finish is what is on most of the bumper. My bumper is factory painted so I can't determine which is the OEM finish from looking at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't determine it either, but would the dealership have put a coating on the bumper before selling it?
If so, they are going to have to fix it. If not, someone still has to fix it. This does not look good at all.
My wife has the vehicle right now, but I will post more pics when she gets home. I found more damage inside where the hatch meets the bumper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible your car was in a minor 'fender-bender' before you purchased it? You shouldn't be finding this type of damage unless something has been previously repaired..

·
Registered
166 Posts
If the car was a lease return or rental, it is a common practice for dealerships to spray the bumpers to cover up any scrapes or scratches. The problem is ... it's usually a fast, cheapo job just for cosmetic purposes and then you have exactly the trouble you are experiencing ... peeling paint and an unsightly bumper.

When it happened to me on a lease car purchase, the dealer said "we do not have a record of this car having the bumpers resprayed ... sorry you are on your own because it obviously has been touched up and that voids the warranty". Maybe the previous owner did it before handing it back ... who knows? I suspected it was the dealer and they just didn't admit it because there was no way to prove it and they weren't interested in dealing with it again.

Good Luck to you ... I had none.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...finally resolved. The bumpers had been painted, apparently unbeknownst to the dealership.
We bought the car as a certified Toyota product, so the dealership took it to their bodyshop and they determined they could not "fix it" so they had to replace it with a new one.
Thanks for everyone's help. Appreciate the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts