Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone is using to keep the black plastic trim looking good.
Everything I have tried acts like a magnet to dust and dirt so the trim ends up looking worse than ever.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g14716-ultimate-protectant-spray/

I only use it when cleaning my car....I gave up on being anal about every little detail for when it comes to keeping a car in a "car show condition"
The way I see it,...the car is meant to be used. It has cheap plastics in the interior that were never coated from factory. The plastics just have a dull finish to them and it will scratch no matter how many times you try to search for the best product at keeping it perfect.
If anyone wants a perfect good looking car that doesn't have any wear and tear, then simply park the car in a bubble and don't drive it.

whoops, you mean exterior....see next post of mine for exterior

·
Registered
59 Posts
For exterior rubber and plastic trim I use CarPro DLux. It's a silane-based glass coating.

• Made from quality high grade organic silane. DLUX is a Silane-based glass coating, DLUX Contains more than 50% pure silica!
  • Restores faded trim
  • Withstands temperatures of more than 800 degrees making it the perfect coating for your engine bay and exhaust tips
  • Lays down a protective film which forms an extremely durable glass coating on top of any substrate it is applied to.
  • We have incorporated a totally different nano composition to bond hard to plastic surface and achieve a thick uniformed layer.
  • Dlux offers a semi permanent chemical bonding to surface pores
  • Very easy to apply with great UV protection, on all exterior substrates.
  • Can be used on textured or smooth plastic
  • DLUX also offers semi permanent protection of aluminum wheels & Plastic finished wheels.
  • On wheels, DLUX will repel dirt and dust with ease & aid in the removal of brake dust.
  • DLUX will leave a glossy finish and is entirely hydrophobic.
  • Durability: 9-12 months
  • Average use for 4 wheels and all plastic trim = 10ml.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've used quite a few products over the years, but the issue I always ran into was as soon as it got wet, it would run down the paint and need to be reapplied after the next wash. They all temporarily restore the look fairly well, but durability is always lacking.

I've used Mothers Back To Black, Adam's Super VRT, 3M Rubber Conditioner, Megs Trim Dressing, etc. etc. but none of them had the durability I was after. The Adam's is still pretty good and somewhat weather resistant, but I still had issues with it leaving 'trails' behind.

So far I've had the DLUX on for about a month on my Rav and about 2 weeks on my wifes and it's fantastic. It really is hydrophobic as evidenced by the beading during the weekly washes. Mine even sits outside 24/7 and it's still as strong now as it was the day I put it on. A bit costly, but you use so little and it lasts so long that it's really a bargain in my book. Looks fantastic too.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Peanut oil seems to be working ok for me after 5 heavy rainfalls and 2 months outdoors. I actually stole the oil from a new jar of peanut butter where the oil was floating on top. May be I would not use it on a show car though ;) but it comes me nothing and I can't find a difference in the peanut butter taste or texture.

Give it a try on a hidden area and report back. I used on it on the black door trim for the side mirrors.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
How about ICE?
I liked it for the black plastic but can't find the original <clear> stuff any longer, do they still make it?
Anyone find it please report where.

The "new & improved" version is a white creamy color and is crap IMHO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just looked on the CarPro USA website, that CQuartz Dlux stuff is pricey. I most likely would only purchase such a product if I was using it on a show car judged for perfection and detail, not use it on a car used daily or whatever. Simple products that can be found in auto stores around the area are fine.

CQuartz Dlux Plastic & Rubber Coating (SKY Kit) - www.CarPro-US.com

I thought the same thing, before I bit the bullet and tried it. It took me a while to justify the price, but once I did and applied it. I completely understood. I was shocked at how little it took to coat an entire vehicle. Combine that fact that you only have to do it 1-2 times per year at most, the cost per application is minimal. Not to mention the level of protection. It's definitely not for everyone, but like I said I was looking for something that would look great and be durable and this fit my needs perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'll see if I can find the CQuartz Dlux product locally.
Our cottage is on a dirt road and I'm trying to find something without any sticky residue that seems to attract the road dust.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You could also try some Adam's Polishes In and Out Spray. It will dry to the touch and not attract dust. Adam's has a Canadian distributor as well. It's easy to apply, will make your trim look great, but the durability is not there. Overspray cleanup can be a little tedious at times, but it's not terrible.

·
Registered
2010Prius,2012Camry,Just ordered a rave4hybrid.
17 Posts
Peanut oil seems to be working ok for me after 5 heavy rainfalls and 2 months outdoors. I actually stole the oil from a new jar of peanut butter where the oil was floating on top. May be I would not use it on a show car though ;) but it comes me nothing and I can't find a difference in the peanut butter taste or texture.

Give it a try on a hidden area and report back. I used on it on the black door trim for the side mirrors.
How do you keep the squirrels from chewing on your trim?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts