1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd post an update on the rav.

originally i when i bought it:

bought some Plasti Dip:

Latest update. I liked how the rims looked in black but i had always truly wanted actual black rims. So after constantly searching kijiji in canada i found something that really caught my eye that was barely used and half the price. So i pounced quickly to get them. Also i've never really liked how the white headlights were so i went on Ebay and bought "JDM TOYOTA RAV4 BLACK CLEAR LENS HEADLIGHTS LAMPS 06-08 AMBER REFLECTOR SPORT" this was the title. i tried to find a link for you guys but nothing was on ebay anymore. I picked those headlights because they were more black on the inside and less chrome reflective silver.

1) So one thing that i noticed right off the bat was the headlights helped my HID kit work 100 times better, originally after i put HID in stock housing it was brutal and i know it would annoy other drivers cause i saw how much light it scattered so i went back to normal stock bulbs till i had a solution to use HID. I know many members are really particular about having projector headlamps with HID's but i hate the look of the Halo ones and getting ones from Japan would have taken me forever and cost an arm and a leg. I did some thinking and figured if i had less chrome it would scatter less light. So on ebay i found these JDM style ones. they were 100 USD plus shipping so i thought it would be a good gamble.

I installed the new headlights, did the proper prefessional headlamp adjustments and it worked way better than stock housing. At night i did some test with my car with my friends sedan to test different distances driving behind the sedan and going in the opposite direction in oncoming traffic. After all that they were directed properly and not blinding to other drivers. I will say that i've never been high beamed or flipped off by another driver using these at night.

2) found a crazy cheap deal on rims through the online classifieds. They are 18 x 8 Rennen's. Originally they were $1200 plus tax and i got them for less then half price with 3-4 months of usage only. I tossed on 235/55/18 tires on them and i'm ready to roll. They were 45 offset so they fit even more flush with the body so it gives it a greater overall look in my opinion.

There's a few more minor things i'd like to do but i will post an update after i do them.

I've had a bunch of compliments so far from friends and random people surprisingly. I'd say it's pretty good for an older 4.3 model.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Glad that you enjoy the look. For me it does not appeal at all and that matters none. You took the time to do it, you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I have never liked the murdered out look on any car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad that you enjoy the look. For me it does not appeal at all and that matters none. You took the time to do it, you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I have never liked the murdered out look on any car.
I disappear into the night faster when i'm out gallivanting and doing bad things.

Monotone cars look amazing to me in my opinion. I don't like chrome accents on any vehicle i think chrome accents are really tacky so that's why i blacked it out as well. To me it's the worst when i see a guy driving an escalade, crown vic, camry, accord or any other car and they've added more chrome on headlights, pillars, door trims and any other area you can think of.

so you're telling me you wouldn't drive a murdered out Aventador or G63?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I disappear into the night faster when i'm out gallivanting and doing bad things.

Monotone cars look amazing to me in my opinion. I don't like chrome accents on any vehicle i think chrome accents are really tacky so that's why i blacked it out as well. To me it's the worst when i see a guy driving an escalade, crown vic, camry, accord or any other car and they've added more chrome on headlights, pillars, door trims and any other area you can think of.

I really like the look of your blackedout rav4. It's aesthetically pleasing.
I have the Magnetic Gray Metallic. My rims are still stock super chrome BUT I did plastidip the chrome lettering on all three sides:
AWD-i/Hybrid/RAV4 letters.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts

I would not own nor drive ANY car that was murdered out. I enjoy and like chrome since I grew up in the 1950's. Chrome was in but it can indeed be overdone. I do prefer some chrome and also shiny wheels. Not that I'm right and you're wrong or even the reverse. We just differ in taste, no big deal. It suits you and that's as it should be.

That's the beauty of cars.....you can make them the way you want. Your taste and mine are opposites, that's all. It doesn't mean that I don't admire what you have done. I did say as much previously and stick with what I said. I appreciate that what you have done appeals to you and that's all that matters. I have no argument with you. I merely said that it is not my taste, that's all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not own nor drive ANY car that was murdered out. I enjoy and like chrome since I grew up in the 1950's. Chrome was in but it can indeed be overdone. I do prefer some chrome and also shiny wheels. Not that I'm right and you're wrong or even the reverse. We just differ in taste, no big deal.

That's the beauty of cars.....you can make them the way you want. Your taste and mine are opposites, that's all. It doesn't mean that I don't admire what you have done.
yea i understood your point, no offense was taken so don't sweat it. i can understand where you come from. Only certain cars can pull off chrome in my opinion. A lot of my friends are big tuner guys with Gtr's, civics, impreza's so i get a little influence off them.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Believe me I'm not sweating it. I just didn't want you to think I was crapping on you for your choice. End of comments.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I blacked out most of the chrome on my rav as well. I did the wheels, but peeled it off since I hate how black wheels makes your tires look dirty all the time LOL...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agree and well put. To each their own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome rav4 sir ..
Applaud the dedication, ive always done black on black, with my fusion , n g37. Recently been trying white on black with my 14 ram..and now my new to me rav 4 .
Your stock rims plasti dip black was actually nice looking. I been debating to ugrade to the dark grey oem sport 18 but cant find them anywhere. But your limited rims look just like mine. Were they 17 also? If so ..i think ill rock those .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comment.

the OEM rims are 17 inch. To be honest if you're gonna go to 18 I suggest staying away from the OEM look. A good choice of rims really changes the look of your vehicle, my friends noticed right away how different my rav looked when I changed them. It has a better wow factor than OEM. Why spend $$$ to look OEM. I've also noticed that it catches people's attention being blacked out and aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the comment.

the OEM rims are 17 inch. To be honest if you're gonna go to 18 I suggest staying away from the OEM look. A good choice of rims really changes the look of your vehicle, my friends noticed right away how different my rav looked when I changed them. It has a better wow factor than OEM. Why spend $$$ to look OEM. I've also noticed that it catches people's attention being blacked out and aftermarket rims.
well seeing how the black made a difference on your 17 stock , i am considering iether doing that or getting 17inch . my situation now is :

according to tirerack. KMC775 kmc wheels 17x7*5 fit our stock tires 225/65/17, and according to members here , tires 235/65/17 and tires 245/65/17 fit our stock 17 inch limited oem wheels.

so buying those kmc 17x7*5 rims should be a direct plus and play with any of those tires installed and then mounted on 4av with no issues?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts