Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm still a noob with regards to Rav4's.

has anyone tried a DIY on blackhousing lights?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, I have smoked my headlights, I've also cleared out the amber.

This project will take a long time and although it may seem intimadating.. its really isn't that hard. The only thing u can really mess up on is being careful when the headlight is apart. The lamps can take high temps... but besure to check every so often.
Check every 5 min !!! if you have to.

DO THIS AS YOUR OWN RISK!!! just so that people wont blame me if the oven thing messes up. these are just suggections and the way I did this project.

Tools:
----------------
- Flat head screw driver
- Kitchen Oven
- Epoxy or something similar

Time:
----------------
- 1 hour if you know where every screw is
2 or 3 if you are really new to this.

Skill level required:
----------------
- Spray painting, know how to evenly coat it
- Patiants

Instructions:
----------------
These items are to be removed in order:
- Grill
- Metal insert under grill *
- fog lights or signals
- Bumper
- headlight bulbs and parking light bulb
- headlights

* The trick to removing the metal insert under grill, using a flat
head screw driver, stick it into the space between the insert and
the fender. There should be 2 clips that hold it in place, 2 on each
side.

-------------------

Preheat the oven until it reaches 250 degrees.
Place both lamps into for 15 mintues, but be sure to check
the lamps every so often.

Pry open with flat head, the glue should be soft enough pry open, the glue will still put up a fight so becareful not to pry too hard..

once its pryed open, the amber part should pop right out and the other reflector

the outer reflector is what SHOULD be PAINTED!!

DO NOT TOUCH THE INNER REFLECTOR.. IF YOU DO AND TRY TO WIPE OFF THE FINGER PRINTS IT WILL SCRATCH UP A LOT!!!!!!!

Seal up lamps with epoxy or anything that will prevent moisture from going in. In case it does.... which I think its normal, usually the moisture goes away. But it might depend where u live.
-----------------------------
FINISHED!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are not that expensive i got mine for about 200+ search google for rav4 sports headlamp...

·
Registered
225 Posts
like what jdmrav4 said, do this at your own RISK!

i tried the oven method to remove the amber tint from my headlights and i think on the later model RAV's (2003 and above), Toyota is using a more tougher glue on their headlights cause no matter how many times i've put them in the oven, in a few seconds the glue would harden up again and i couldn't pry the headlights open. so i just said to H*LL with it and rather than risking my headlights from being deformed from overbaking i just aborted the project. :x

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
If the quality of the plastic is as good as the originals, that should be enough for a lot of people. For me, the cost would almost be the same between new headlights from the dealer and these ones (give or take $50), so it could be worth it a try? Still undecided :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts