Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

My engine grinded up a rod bearing yesterday and I confirmed today. The #4 crankshaft journal looks like grated cheese and the rod is burnt to a crisp (no oil to that cylinder for some reason). With that being said, I'm not sure exactly what to do at this point.

Do you think I would get more money selling the car as-is or by parting it out? It's a really solid/clean car. It has 220k on the odometer, but the car looks/feels like it's brand-new. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
No one will buy a car with a blown engine. Unless he will do what you are thinking to do, sell it in parts. If it was me, I'll install another engine since the rest of the car, as you say, is cool. It would be good like a second car, emergency car, winter car, grocery getter.

If not, take some pictures and post them here, I'll bet you will get some buyers for parts. Especially those hard to get parts.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've bought plenty of cars with dead engines, or none at all! :D
Assuming the body and interior are good, and if you are capable, have the space and tools, and can do so safely, pull the engine (you'd have to anyway) and go through it. See the extent of the damage to determine if a rebuild if feasible. If not, then you probably need a "long block" rebuilt engine. I never use junkyard engines without going through and rebuilding them too. But another way is to find a recently wrecked car with low miles to get a donor engine and other parts.

Otherwise, put it up on your local Craigslist as a "Mechanic's Special" -- someone like me will pounce on it if the body and interior are great. Parting it out will take lots of time and space.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Otherwise, put it up on your local Craigslist as a "Mechanic's Special" -- someone like me will pounce on it if the body and interior are great.
My niece did exactly that with her 1998 RAV4 when it overheated and likely blew the head gasket. Got $1000 for it ASA the ad went up. And that was 5+ years ago. Probably sold it too cheap.

So unless you have the experience and patience to avoid all the potential gotchas with rebuilding or replacing the engine and the car is in good condition, sell it and look for another RAV4.

Reactions: bshea85

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The real reason I feel like I'm in a pickle, is that I've poured so much time, sweat, blood and money into this little truck. I put a new radiator in it and a new clutch recently. That money and time is gone now and I will never recoup that back, which is a huge buzz-kill. I'll put it up for sale on Craigslist and hopefully get something back for it. Do you guys have any idea what I should list it for? Would $750 be about right?

Oh, I'm also in the Detroit area. If anyone reading this is interested in buying the car, let me know!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
The real reason I feel like I'm in a pickle, is that I've poured so much time, sweat, blood and money into this little truck. I put a new radiator in it and a new clutch recently. That money and time is gone now and I will never recoup that back, which is a huge buzz-kill. I'll put it up for sale on Craigslist and hopefully get something back for it. Do you guys have any idea what I should list it for? Would $750 be about right?

Oh, I'm also in the Detroit area. If anyone reading this is interested in buying the car, let me know!
Pictures can speak million words. Post them so your possible customers might make you an offer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
$750 is giving it away IMO. Why don't you find another engine? Another idea is to install an upgrade 3SGTE engine. More power/Torque and more fun......250HP. I understand the frustrations you'd be having but just upgrade the Engine.........

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Your crazy, keep that RAV4 and install another engine. These vehicles are like the 70s Chevy Novas. They are Diehard. I've hammered mine and it still like a Bronco. Their isn't a day it doesn't surprise me with its performance. From the outside it looks great. Drop that engine, rebuild it, or change it.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
If that RAV4 was anywhere near me, even with all the projects I've got going including my 1968 Volvo 1800S, it would be in the other bay of my garage getting an engine transplant! :cool: :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would not junk that RAV, buy a used engine or even a good running but rusted out Camry off Craigslist and do a swap :D. I bet you could find a used Camry for $200 or so !, 5S-FE 2.2L or 3S-FE 2.0L will fit right in as its the same engine and essentially the same trans as a camry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts