Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone install one ? I would like to stay OEM .I know some time the wiring harness is all the same for all model. So just wondering if anyone look in to it? My back windows are limo tinted so its hard to see at night . I have a 2015 rav4 XLE

·
Registered
335 Posts
I saw that Honda CRV has a camera installed on side view mirror. But I cannot find similar camera for RAV4.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My '15 AWD Limited came with the tech package which includes the BSM. Vehicle is still pretty new to me and I'm still getting used to it. I will say that I do like the BSM and it has saved several embarrassing moments already. Rear visibility isn't the greatest in the RAV, even with turning your head/neck. I like them and think it is worth the exorbitant additional cost.

If the wiring harness is that same, as you suspect, then the mirrors from a Limited with the tech package will give you BSM. I have no idea where the cameras are. Maybe in the mirrors themselves? There is a small gap between the mirror and the mirror housing. Maybe the cameras are in there? A flashlight will tell you if they are.

(Tech package cost seven plus Franklins and include the LDA, (Lane Departure Assist), and automatic high beam headlights. I can see where the LDA will be quite useful on interstate trips. I absolutely hate the auto high beams. Not quite the devil's spawn, but close to it. Luckily, you can switch the headlight mode so that manual high beams are available.)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are you sure the Toyota BSM uses a camera and not millimeter wave radar sensors installed behind the rear bumper cover, as this site describes.

Since Rear Cross Traffic Alert is also included in the tech package, and RCTA uses radar, most likely the BSM does as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Are you sure the Toyota BSM uses a camera and not millimeter wave radar sensors installed behind the rear bumper cover, as this site describes.

Since Rear Cross Traffic Alert is also included in the tech package, and RCTA uses radar, most likely the BSM does as well.
Very interesting article. Thanks. I'm all for not having silly stickers on bumpers anymore.

As a side note, the sensors must look to the sides and not straight rearward. I installed a receiver hitch on my new RAV and a Yakima rack that sticks straight up. It's only about 4-5 inches wide and does not seem to have impacted the BSM system.

That brings up a thought. I've yet to carry my bike on the rack. The wheels will hang down to bumper level, or slightly lower. It seems that I should expect the BSM to malfunction when I'm carrying a bike.

·
Registered
424 Posts
These videos may provide some answers.
Awesome! Thanks. Now I understand how they work. Pretty good system. The other day, when I was backing out the driveway, it alerted me to an oncoming car that I couldn't see because it was hidden by my much larger Lexus RX SUV parked on the street. The RADAR 'saw around' the Lexus. Too bad it won't 'see' kids or bicycles, (can't 'see' anything smaller than a 125cc motorbike).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK the wireing is there just don't know where the BSM computer mounts at .. If I can find that Ill take lots of pic and do the install. thanx for the help guys .

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
OK the wireing is there just don't know where the BSM computer mounts at
Just curious if you have located all the parts and pricing.

I would think that installing millimeter wave radar sensors , the BSM computer, and replacing the mirrors would be more expensive than the $725 for the tech package. Especially if nobody is sure if all the harnesses are in place and those are all the components that would be required.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have BSM on my 2017 XLE but I don't understand the need for it. If you adjust your side mirrors properly you can always see a vehicle in your blind spot. The issue is that 99% of drivers don't have a clue of how to properly adjust the side mirrors.
When backing out my driveway I count on it. Even though I turn around and look behind me, I have blind spots where I can’t see traffic or cars pulling out across the street. It helps me a lot. I pretty much ignore it on the highway.

Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
When backing out my driveway I count on it. Even though I turn around and look behind me, I have blind spots where I can’t see traffic or cars pulling out across the street. It helps me a lot. I pretty much ignore it on the highway.

Bill
But as the article shows if you adjust your side mirrors properly you can actually see the area in your blind spot which is much better then seeing a blinking light in your side mirror. :wink

·
Registered
6 Posts
We moved from a sedan to a 2018 Rav4 LE and the blind spot on the passenger is a worry.
We rented a Nissan Rouge and the package looks just like the Rav4 LE except it has BSM.

Any way, did anyone find a dealer who would install BSM on an LE ? Or did anyone find the parts list to add BSM to an LE and verify that the existing wiring is in place?

So the math will tell. That is, if I can trade in my 2018 Rav4 LE for a 2018 Rouge w/ BSM for less than adding BSM to my Rav4 LE, we might have a new Rouge in the garage. :)

thoughts?

·
Registered
223 Posts
We moved from a sedan to a 2018 Rav4 LE and the blind spot on the passenger is a worry.
We rented a Nissan Rouge and the package looks just like the Rav4 LE except it has BSM.

Any way, did anyone find a dealer who would install BSM on an LE ? Or did anyone find the parts list to add BSM to an LE and verify that the existing wiring is in place?

So the math will tell. That is, if I can trade in my 2018 Rav4 LE for a 2018 Rouge w/ BSM for less than adding BSM to my Rav4 LE, we might have a new Rouge in the garage. :)

thoughts?
The BSM is just making drivers lazy. It's much better to adjust your mirrors properly so that you don't have a blind spot in the first place. My RAV4 XLE has the BSM and I don't even notice it since I can see cars approaching my blind spot before the BSM even senses the car in my blind spot. If you wanted the BSM so badly why didn't you buy a RAV4 model that has it like my XLE? Just curious. Your to do list.

1. Click on the link below.
2. Read the article, it's short but sweet.
3. Go adjust your side mirrors the correct way.
4. Go for a test drive.
5. Be amazed at the difference.
6. Keep them properly adjusted until you get used to it and you will never go back.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

You can also look on You Tube and watch hundreds of videos showing you the same thing and pointing out how most drivers are idiots for not knowing how to properly adjust their side mirrors. :wink

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whooa Cowboy,

RE: Now for Your to do list Cowboy....
1) If we wanted an XLE, we would buy an XLE (serious)
2) All that XLE luxury makes us fat, makes us look fat and makes Toyota fat (joke).
3) Please, turn off the Toyota Salesman mode comments. The comment is condescending and sounds like its from a used car salesman. (seriously :) )

Net. net, we want 'safety' components, not overpriced packages.
And frankly, the Rav4 has a serious blind spot which was probably designed by the same folks who designed in the FJ blind sport? hmm...
Yet, the Rav4 is targeted at the family vehicle market while the FJ was originally targeted to the 'off road' vehicle market. That's a big difference.

So back to the rest of the community who is not in Toyota sales rep mode.

Has anyone been able to find the parts list and directions on how to add a factory Toyota BSM to a 2018 LE?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts