Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there you have it... My coolant is leaking out from the block drain. I see some drips here and there.
Dealer says they can't get to it unless the transmission is removed. It is at a very difficult spot and easy to fix IF you can get to it.

After driving about 70,000 miles (in 18 months) myself (now 230k) and showing my old RAV the continent had a price tag in addition to filling the gas tank :eek: .. the tag is now $1100.

I think I can go another 10,000 miles before this becomes an emergency.
The right front axle seal is leaking also ($265) but that isn't my worry much.

Thoughs?
Experiences?

Just put a new engine in? That is the longer term best solution in my head.
Since I plan to never buy a new vehicle thanks to automatic transmissions.:rolleyes:
I will shoot myself before I get stuck in a auto trans car on a permanent basis.. :D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Do you think it is a/the block drain, on the back of the engine (under the intake manifold), or is a freeze plug or similar on portion of the block where the trans' bellhousing attaches? Either is not fun to get to especially with AWD, but the former wouldn't require pulling the engine or trans. Removing the intake manifold is a big job with several hard things to get to underneath it. Hopefully I'll never have to do it again! (Did as part of replacing the valve stem seals on both 4.1s).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Block drain in the back. Haven't seen any more drips in the past few days so I think I should be ok for about 10k miles but I need to plan for a new engine because I am burning out a quart of oil every 1000 miles now anyway. My last trip put a big toll on the engine. I had the car loaded down and the rocky mountains were merciless. LOL !

·
Super Moderator
10,224 Posts
You might try some radiator sealer. It's about the only cure-in-a-can I ever use. Just shut off flow to the heater when you add it.

A quart every 1,000 miles? That's 4,000 mpg on oil! :wink

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try some radiator sealer. It's about the only cure-in-a-can I ever use. Just shut off flow to the heater when you add it.

A quart every 1,000 miles? That's 4,000 mpg on oil! :wink
LOL. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts