Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently obtained a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Our Canadian winters can be brutal. Considering having a block heater installed. Has anyone on here done this with their RAV4? Is it necessary?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't have one? I beleive its mandatory in Canada. Even on Toyota.ca it's automatically added when you go through build and price. Although I haven't looked for mine yet either.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The Hybrid engines have a heater available, but it doesn't do much. Keep in mind that the engine uses 0-20 synthetic oil which flows in any temp. If your Canadian purchased unit lacks one consult your dealer.

The main reason for using one is comfort - having warmth available quicker. Its about a 400w heating element so it doesn't do a lot. They can also be fairly expensive to install. (time consuming) If you already have one the cord should be apparent under the hood.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The block heater is all about oil viscosity, trust me in super cold conditions if you don't have something heating your engine, you aren't going anywhere. Not all cars (vehicles) in Canada get block heaters, out here at the Wet West Coast, they don't install them. No need in Vancouver, Victoria and coastal areas et. al.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Seems to depend where you are in Canada. During build and price you select your province. When you get to the exterior accessories page in mb block heater is already checked off. If you click on the magnifying glass it gives more info. " block heater is standard in Manitoba".

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't think you're fully understanding how much of an impact -40C weather has on a car. In that kind of weather without plugging in(if it starts at all), our cars just reach operating temp as I get to work 45 minutes later. It's very hard on the vehicle and any battery. Plugging in wil allow heat much sooner but also allow the ICE to actually maybe turn off. Which I guarantee it would not at -40 if it weren't plugged in.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't think you're fully understanding how much of an impact -40C weather has on a car..
You're not understanding how the hybrid system works. You're not cold cranking an engine at 100rpm and hoping it will start. The hybrid system has ZERO to do with the 12v battery.

As for the ICE turning off sooner - it won't happen. You can't maintain a warm ICE in those temps, it will be running continuously just to make heat.
The Gen-4 system uses radiator louvers to help it keep warm, but the Rav4's Gen 3 system does not. In arctic temps you will gain a lot more from radiator blocking than from a block heater. The block heater is only a benefit for about 2 min.

The good news is that the block heater only costs a few pennies per hour to use, so if you have one use it. But its by no means a requirement.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It was an option for mine. Since my car is garaged, don't need it.

Seems to depend where you are in Canada. During build and price you select your province. When you get to the exterior accessories page in mb block heater is already checked off. If you click on the magnifying glass it gives more info. " block heater is standard in Manitoba".

·
Registered
59 Posts
A block heater warms an engine to increase the chances that the engine will start as well as warm up the vehicle faster than it normally would in extremely cold weather.

The most common type is an electric heating element in the cylinder block, connected through a power cord often routed through the vehicle's grille. The block heater may replace one of the engine's core plugs. In this fashion, the heater element is immersed in the engine's coolant, which then keeps most of the engine warm. There is no pump with this type of heater. They may also be installed in line with one of the radiator or heater hoses.

Block heaters that run directly on the vehicle's own gasoline or diesel fuel supply are also available; these do not require an external power source. The coolant is heated and circulated, usually by thermosiphon, through the engine and the vehicle's heater core.

Heaters are also available for engine oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate throughout the engine during start up. The easier starting results from warmer, less viscous engine oil and less condensation of fuel on cold metal surfaces inside the engine; thus an engine block heater reduces a vehicle's emission of unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide; also heat is available more quickly for the passenger compartment and glass defogging.[1]

Block heaters or coolant heaters are also found on permanently installed systems using diesel engines to allow standby generator sets to take up load quickly in an emergency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

·
Registered
846 Posts
I live in Toronto and had the dealership installed one just before taking possession. Thought I might as well get it done. Didn't really know it wasn't required because starting up uses the much bigger hybrid battery. At that time, no one seemed able to offer a suggestion. :S

Will installation of the block heater possibly affect MPG? I was told by the dealership they had to open the engine for this installation. We are only getting about 13.5 km/L or 31.75 MPG (85% highway/ 15% city in terms of distance traveled) in spring but it's still kinda darn cold in Toronto.

It is only mandatory in Alberta and perhaps Winnipeg and Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I live in Toronto and had the dealership installed one just before taking possession. Thought I might as well get it done. Didn't really know it wasn't required because starting up uses the much bigger hybrid battery. At that time, no one seemed able to offer a suggestion. :S

Will installation of the block heater possibly affect MPG? I was told by the dealership they had to open the engine for this installation. We are only getting about 13.5 km/L or 31.75 MPG (85% highway/ 15% city in terms of distance traveled) in spring but it's still kinda darn cold in Toronto.

That is strange. I'm getting between 6-7.5 l/100kms. I think I was getting better than 13.5 on my 14 xle. Is your engine actually shutting down when it should? I'd imagine our temps are similar right now.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, looks like we are using different units of measure. Assumed your km/l was a typo.

·
Registered
218 Posts
13.5 km/l works out to 7.4 l/100km - not bad. My mileage this month has dropped from that range down to around 6.7 l/100km, or 14.9 km/l.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That is strange. I'm getting between 6-7.5 l/100kms. I think I was getting better than 13.5 on my 14 xle. Is your engine actually shutting down when it should? I'd imagine our temps are similar right now.
13.5 km/l works out to 7.4 l/100km - not bad. My mileage this month has dropped from that range down to around 6.7 l/100km, or 14.9 km/l.
How much city driving are you guys making? Lots of them are on the highway as we live in the suburbs.

Good to know it's not way below average and we already have ECO mode on, haha.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never use ECO mode - hated on my Lexus CT200h and don't like on the RAV4. I'm in Sport mode most of the time (normal in winter).
I drive 15-20km on rural roads (max. 80 kph) into a small city to do most of my work, then I'll drive around town and back home. Once in a while I'll hit a major hwy (100 kph)

How much city driving are you guys making? Lots of them are on the highway as we live in the suburbs.

Good to know it's not way below average and we already have ECO mode on, haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts