Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

While build & pricing a Rav4 2015 on the toyota.ca, a charge of almost $300 is included by default in the price of the car. Hovering over the block heater item in the exterior options section, I get a popup that says it's standard in Alberta. Does that mean that every car made to drive in Alberta MUST include a block heater? The reason that I am asking is that the block heater was not listed on the Offer to Purchase form and I failed to see that before signing it. I wanted to arm myself with info before talking to the dealership.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My understanding is that yes, Block Heaters are standard in all vehicle makes and models in Alberta because of our cold weather months. I've heard conflicting info though, on how pricing is factored. I had a co-worker of mine insist that a dealership can't charge because they're in all AB vehicles, but I'm thinking that as you noticed, it's already factored into the price to begin with. She said one dealership here (not Toyota, for reference) wanted to charge her extra for it in her vehicle, but maybe it was that it was already built into the price, and they tried to charge again??

·
Registered
846 Posts
For those in Alberta or elsewhere who had block heaters installed, are your block heaters only accessible once you pop the hood open? I had one installed over the week at a Toyota dealership and there doesn't seem to be a way to snake it so that that the plug is set in front of the radiator.

Not sure if this was the default way of installing it but I didn't want to pop the hood open and close every time I need to access the block heater but it seems now that opening and closing is required. I didn't realize that could have been a cord length limitation.

I forgot to mention my wife's is a hybrid.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTNTNqOWZoNnBLWjA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTOGJYNHpkMUk2RW8/view?usp=sharing

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Yes all new vehicles in Alberta have a block heater.

Mr. Auditor
Get your dealer to feed it through...no big deal..much more difficult to get the plug end back from the front of rad to engine bay as the plastic (somewhat flexible) baffle around the rad perimeter acts one way..look for a portal around the top corner of the rad driver side

1 - 4 of 4 Posts