Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I had a water leak into the passenger compartment and I diagnosed it to be from the HVAC drain hose. Below are some photo's of the area/culprit in question. While you don't necessarily have to take off the glove box I did as I didn't know what I was up against.

1st pic - the glove box and passenger side compartment area where the leak was.

2nd pic - the trim piece that has to be removed to access the drain hose.

3rd pic - both areas exposed.

4th pic - HVAC unit with drain hose attached.

5th pic - a closeup of the HVAC unit and hose.

6th pic - the HVAC drain hose nipple.

7th pic - the disconnected drain hose. That's a decent size hose!

That last photo show's about how much water was left inside the HVAC unit after I took the hose off.

PS... I uploaded the pix in the correct format (right-side-up), but the system altered them. :frown

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Maybe toss a few copper sulfate crystals into that chamber to prevent mold/mildew from growing in the leftover water that fails to drain from the HVAC unit.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
PS... I uploaded the pix in the correct format (right-side-up), but the system altered them. :frown
So what caused the blockage in the hose? And how did you fix it?

P.S. I rotated your pictures 90 degrees.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for fixing the pix JB! :wink

As far as what caused the blockage I don't know, I don't even know how far down the hose the blockage was as everything was done from the inside of the RAV. I used an air nozzle attached to my compressor hose to try and clear out the blockage @ 60 PSI but that didn't work. I was successful only after increasing the pressure to 100 PSI - I found a big puddle of water under the RAV after that.

There was no water leaking into the passenger compartment after running the AC for an hour after that.

If you look closely at pic #5 you can see the gray gasket material between the base of the HVAC unit and that cover with the screw - that's where the water was leaking from initially. When I ran my finger around that area it was wet to the touch as well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sure be nice to know what was plugging the drain. There is a recall or some such about insects plugging the drain tube on 2012 or so Camry's. The little buggers must be trying to keep all the water to themselves.
I was wondering if the RAV4 would have the same issue, it's drain looks much the same. The Camry's were a hassle since the water could leak onto the airbag control and connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ťoday my friend has exactly the same issue.
She has a 2018 RAV4, recently could hear a sound of water flowing under the center console when made a left/right turn, and there was some water on the passenger seat floor. Today she went to Toyota dealer, they said the A/C drain hose clogged by spider web. I searched on the website and found that some people mentioned about the same thing.
Why is this keep happening on RAV4?

And they charge her $210 without asking because they said she had signed a "Preliminary Estimate" $210. So now you went to Toyota dealer in CA, if it is not about maintenance or warranty issue, basic price is $210, correct?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ťoday my friend has exactly the same issue.
She has a 2018 RAV4, recently could hear a sound of water flowing under the center console when made a left/right turn, and there was some water on the passenger seat floor. Today she went to Toyota dealer, they said the A/C drain hose clogged by spider web. I searched on the website and found that some people mentioned about the same thing.
Why is this keep happening on RAV4?

And they charge her $210 without asking because they said she had signed a "Preliminary Estimate" $210. So now you went to Toyota dealer in CA, if it is not about maintenance or warranty issue, basic price is $210, correct?
View attachment 143181
It's not just the RAV4. This can happen to any vehicle. The drain gets clogged with debris and the box fills with water created by condensation on the evaporator when running the HVAC system. The $210 is probably just the standard charge for 1 hour of diagnosis at that dealer. Your friend was likely told the rate before she signed the repair order.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After you're done with the HVAC hose go topside - open the moon roof and check the drain holes in both corners of the opening for debris and blocked drain holes. Why? Because if you don't you might get water leaking into the vehicle during a heavy rain storm like happened to me on Monday. Water was rolling down both A pillars and had saturated the roof liner on both sides of my RAV during a heavy downpour. I screwed up because I failed to check the drains at the beginning of Spring. ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts