Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2007 sport with 130k miles, the blower fan makes a slow chirping sound at all speeds (faster at high speeds, slower at low).

I am hoping it just needs lube, but wonder if it needs replacement.

1) How can I fix it?
2) If just lube is needed, what kind?

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Sometimes such noises result from little uninvited guests starting to built homes in the blower. Many posts on the subject. Unscrew the blower and check that first.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Sometimes such noises result from little uninvited guests starting to built homes in the blower.
You mean there could be a hamster running around in there? :)

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
You mean there could be a hamster running around in there? :)
Never could figure out why anyone would want mice as pets. 0:)

(Note that if I get too many nasty responses :mad: to this you may get several PMs asking what happened to them - at which point I'll delete mine too and make it all go away. :wink: )

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
You two aren't the most helpful, but I'm enjoying the comic relief... :)
Glad you're having fun on us but my first post was totally serious. Mice nests in the blower is a common problem with many brands and model cars and trucks. You'll find posts on anything from just vibrations to VERY nasty messes caused by the critters. I installed a wire mesh cover over my cabin filter to stop the issue on my RAV4.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Yes, rodents can set up shop on the cabin air filter and chew through that to get to the blower. It's a horrible mess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I knew you were serious on the first post. But I had a Volvo years ago that had a similar noise and it turned out to just be a worn out blower. I think I was mainly asking for info about whether worn out blowers are common for this year, and if so how to go about repairing it. But your account is helpful and I'll give it a look sometime.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Worn out blowers are not a common problem on this forum. The few I remember on this forum just QUIT without squeaking or chirping.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds exactly like the same issue I am having. Started last week, checked the filter and it is still relatively new (installed in early November).
Looks like I will have to have it ordered from a parts store.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
The chirping noise could be a dry bearing in the blower motor. When I've had that noise back in my college days and I had little cash for car repairs with other vehicles I've slowly put oil onto the shaft where it protrudes from the motor and allow that to penetrate, and occasionally that solves the problem, sometimes for years. If that doesn't work one can drill or punch a small hole in the collar which surrounds that bearing and oil through that hole. Also have punched s small hole in the other end of the motor where the shaft terminates and oiled that bearing through that hole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same chirping sound years ago in an old car I owned. I could have sworn it was blower motor bearings and the sound was driving me nuts. My buddy went in through the glovebox area, pulled out a bunch of leaves - problem solved.

My point is, it's not always bearings. First thing is to check for leaves and critters.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
My point is, it's not always bearings. First thing is to check for leaves and critters.
Agreed and welcome shoppe.

And if one can't find the problem at the filter the next step is to remove the blower. Then as Blogson says lubricating the bearings may fix it. But if it is the bearings in this case it would be the first 4.3 I heard of to have the issue.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Agreed and welcome shoppe.

And if one can't find the problem at the filter the next step is to remove the blower. Then as Blogson says lubricating the bearings may fix it. But if it is the bearings in this case it would be the first 4.3 I heard of to have the issue.
Agreed - the best approach is to look for the easiest to fix and most likely cause of the problem first. Doing a search there have been other reports of blower problems with 4.3 RAVs but in most cases the OP didn't report back with the solution. A few had said that they intended to replace the blower motor, but again didn't post back about the result.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I think if I went to all the trouble of removing the blower motor, I'd just replace it. But that would depend on the price of a new one, of course!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Replaced the blower motor anyway...

Replace the noisy blower motor last night. Seems that water got into the motor housing through somehow. Never seen the filter with any water damage/dampness. There is some form of "breather" port for the fan and I think that this is where the water may have entered the motor area. This caused the bearings on the lower part of the motor to loose lubrication and start making noise. Took only about 50 minutes for the entire swap process.

Tore apart the motor after confirming the new one works, of course. There was lots of rust and copper/metal dust inside. The brushes appear to be alright, but the stator had rust on it. The commutator (where the brushes make contact) were grooved worse than brake rotors :surprise.

Sorry, I do not have pictures of the teardown.

PS> Got the blower motor from the Toyota dealer at a "buyer" discount - $139. The parts person also says that the Tacoma suffers from blower motor issues as well.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Replace the noisy blower motor last night.

PS> Got the blower motor from the Toyota dealer at a "buyer" discount - $139. The parts person also says that the Tacoma suffers from blower motor issues as well.
Thanks for posting back with your solution for the problem. Too often other people don't post back about their solutions and that makes it difficult for members to build a knowledge base and help others with their same situations.

But obviously it also will be necessary to discover how the water got into the blower bearings or the problem is likely to recur.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts