Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried (unsuccesfully) to silence demist fan,manual I have says remove glovebox and 3 screws hold in fan on my 97 Rav,this doesn't seem to be the case and it would appear much more invoved than description suggests.....is this the case?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yep, that's the case. :) The motor will drop down after you release the three screws. It is handy to remove the glove compartment when doing it too. I just replaced my blower motor just a little bit ago. It's pretty straght forward, but let me know if you need any help with it. :wink:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I wouldn't mind a little extra help on this one. I have the exact same issue with my blower motor (squeaky). Dealer says the part is CDN$150 and 3/4 hour labour to install. That's expensive. I assume the part is available for less elsewhere?

Then I'd need to get access to the area to change them out. Not having a shop manual, is it a fairly simple procedure? If someone has time I'd love some instructions.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How to change the blower motor... :wink:

First, as far as price of the motor, I replaced mine with an aftermarket blower motor, not a Toyota(Denso) one, thorefore it was ALOT cheaper. I paid about $40US for mine. So I suggest checking out your local parts store for the blower to save you some cash.

Now, as far as changing the motor on your RAV, it's relitivly easy. If you look directly below your glove box, toward your firewall, you'll see the motor base, with three screws holding it up in place in a "Y" formation, as well as the wire connection to it. Now you can release these screws, and the motor will drop, but it will get caught up on the frame of the glove box, making it difficult remove the motor all the way out without some using force. That's why a suggest removing the glove box, it makes it alot easier to get out with less force. The important thing is, that the motor has to drop stright down, because the fan is a drum type fan. Once you get it out, you have remove the fan drum, and replace it on the new motor. I suggest cleaning the fan drum itself while it's out too, it's probably pretty dirty. Removing the fan can be pain, beacause it's clipped on the motor shaft, but once done, it is easy to put back on the new one. After that, just reverse the process to put it all back in, and just make sure to line up the motor, just as it came out. One part of motor has two small square holes for venting the motor itself, these have to line up with the holes where it attaches when repalcing. In fact, I don't think it allows you to mount the motor in the wrong way, it only goes in one way, so no worries.

Hope this helps, I'll get some pics posted if you need them, and by all meens, let me know if you have any ?s. :wink: I'm probably making this sound more complicated than it is... :roll:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write that up! This task isn't on my immediate horizon but it's something I'll eventually want to do to get rid of the squeak. If I can get an inexpensive generic blower motor to fit a RAV4 at a local parts shop that'll be a plus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts