Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New poster, but I've done some research here already that has been quite helpful, so thanks for that up front.

My wife has a 06 Rav4 Limited, and the AC stopped blowing a few days ago. Next day it was working again and worked for several days. Yesterday, stopped working again. In humid southern weather, not having AC isn't really an option, so I have to get this fixed. Digital panel indicates the fan is blowing, but nothing is actually coming out.

Took me a while to figure out (I think) that it wasn't the blower motor resistor when I finally figured out (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Limited with the automatic AC doesn't have the resistor. So that basically ruled that out. :)

So I believe at this point that I need a new blower, and even though I'm not a gear head I think I can replace it myself based on what I've seen.

What I'm not clear on is if the blower motor itself is different on the base model and the Limited. I've found the blower motor on Amazon for $73, which seems to be a good bit cheaper than most everywhere else I can find other than ebay. Also it does say it fits the Limited.

Before I fork over the money, I'd love to get your opinions if I'm going the right route here, or you feel like I should try something different.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Do some diagnosis before you spend time and money replacing the motor which might be fine. The Limited uses a module to control the blower speed. If it is the motor, don't buy the cheapest one you can find. If you can find a TYC, that is good stuff. But first, do this :

Check for battery voltage with the key on and the blower switch off at terminal 4, Gray wire at the Integration Control and Panel Assembly blower switch. Monitor the voltage at terminal 4 and turn the blower switch to high and verify that the switch grounds terminal 4 to turn on the heater relay.

If the Integration Control and Panel Assembly blower switch did not ground terminal 4, jump from terminal 4, Gray wire to terminal 5, White/Black wire and verify that the blower motor runs. If the blower runs, the Integration Control and Panel Assembly blower switch has likely failed.

If the blower motor doesn't run, check for battery voltage at the Integration Control and Panel Assembly blower switch at terminal 6, Blue wire. If there is voltage, ground it with terminal 4, Gray wire and terminal 5, White/Black wire jumped. If the blower motor runs on high, the Integration Control and Panel Assembly blower switch has likely failed.

Let me know what you find.

Reactions: eunice ronald

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Integration Control and Panel Assembly
Your going to have to forgive me. I'm really not a gear head, I'm just trying not to have to pay an arm and a leg. Is the Integration Control and Panel Assembly the front panel with the AC controls, or something else? I'm a little out of my league on voltage, but my wife did computer engineering in college and feels pretty comfortable with a volt meter (i'm a software guy). But we need to know where these terminals are located to start.

Again, thanks for the help. Just treat me as just slightly more intelligent than a child on car maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Without connecting to the vehicle, I have no idea. You should find a shop that is AAA Approved and employs at least one ASE Certified Master Technician.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts