Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need some help on what to buy/the problem here. So when I turned my fan speed on to 1 speed it was working fine. Once the car heated up some more I went to 2,3 then 4. But after I hit 4 to turn it down/shut off it is now suck at 4 speed regardless of the setting. I check the blower resistor and it looks fine. So should I replace the dial? Or the resistor? Or is it something else I'm not thinking about. Thanks for the help!

-Anthony
07 Base

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Does the switch feel any different? Try running it w/o the resistor. Since I believe it's bypassed on high, any problem would have to be in the switch. I've actually taken them apart and repaired them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran it without the resistor and it is still stuck on high. The knob feels the same has the same click. I took apart the front console & tried messing around with the wires...has the same problem still

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If any section of the resistor pack was defective (including the built in fuse), the blower would not run in either the lowest or off position.

Does the blower continue to run when the switch is in the off position? If it continues to operate in the off position then your selector switch is defective.

If the blower relay was stuck in the on position, the blower would operate continuously, regardless of the selector position, but only at the slowest speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's stuck on high regardless of the setting even on off. I will head to Toyota and pick up the part I will let you know! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Probably something melted inside the switch. You can usually see signs of it on the terminals.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There is always a small chance that the blower could be running at full speed if certain areas of the wiring were shorted to ground. For example a wire rubbing on a sharp edge of metal could cut through the insulation and complete a path to ground.

Although this cause is unlikely, it can be eliminated as a cause if unplugging the connector from the back of the speed selector switch stops the blower from running. If the blower continues to run with the connector off, then the problem IS NOT the switch.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Good point Rick - and another easy test.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I ran it without the resistor and it is still stuck on high.
Based on this clue, and barring the rare possibility that a wire has shorted out, I think you will find pins #6 ( 1 of 2 possible blue wires) and pin #5 (black & white wire) shorted together on the selector switch.

You can test if these two pins are shorted together with an ohmmeter, or test light. They should only be connected to each other when the switch is set to the highest speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts