Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pretty sure i have a spun or lost rod bearing. i noticed the engine had a low idol at a stop sign, 500-600 RPM so i turned off the radio. next shift i heard what i think is rod knock, i puled over and listened to the engine witch sounded fine just low idol. i checked the oil: it was at the L mark but it had oil. i began do drive home, at ~2500 RPM it makes a piston slapping head sound, 5 mins later the engine was struggling to keep idol and when i was taking off from a stop sign it staled and would not start. i let it cool over night and tried to start it the next day, no luck. so now i need to decide if i rebuild the engine i have, buy a used engine, or sell as is for little cash. i have rebuilt an engine out of a 87 supra (7m-ge) but i am wondering what my best option is. one other option is swapping to a diesel engine witch i would like but need to keep things in prospective. any thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble RavScotia, I see you have a manual model which was my choice also. How many kilometers on the Rav and why was the oil level low, had it been using oil for awhile or is that something new ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has ~260,000 kms, i have been putting a "spalsh" 125-250ml in every 2 to 3 weeks. last winter my oil pressure switch began to leak and i didn't notice until the head sounded a bit "valvey" and when i replaced the switch i had to put 2.5-3.0L of in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did a bit of looking and $1,500 seems to be the number. il have to see how my engine looks when i open it up, i wouldn't want to put a bad/worn out engine in. i haven't found a forum on a diesel swap yet have you heard of any?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Should be able to get reman 2AZFE with head bolt upgrade for a bit more. I haven't looked into diesel swaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts