·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rav4 2007
4 cylinders automatic
VT-1
2AZ-FE USA

Had noise engine underneath, which does not sound loud at all. Engine stalls when running. Starts with no problem. At times the noise is not heard.
What I did to start is removed the oil pan and found fragment pieces that seems to be made of plastic. Also some fragments that looks like part protective metal like coatings. Here are photos of the fragments found.

This first photo shows the metallic like fragments found. The following shows all pieces found. The bottom photo shows three pieces that someone may identify.
Art Font Fashion accessory Ink Visual arts

Artifact Font Fashion accessory Metal Rock
Natural material Artifact Metal Rock Sweetness

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
@Ike Carlson ; you’ve been deeper into these engines than most of us - does anything look familiar here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,333 Posts
What's missing in the photos is any perspective of size. Some common item such as a soda (pop) can in the picture would help but ANY pieces in the pan is a sign of MAJOR problems.

Reactions: papitohead

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's missing in the photos is any perspective of size. Some common item such as a soda (pop) can in the picture would help but ANY pieces in the pan is a sign of MAJOR problems.
When you say soda can, is it for sizing? I can post the photos again with a five cent coin? To me it looks like a bearing or some sort of an insert.

·
Super Moderator
11,333 Posts
Is that a US nickel? Looks more like a quarter to me but in any case the pieces are much smaller than I'd imagined. But at least they look soft like some kind of fiber. Don't know where there'd be a fiber gear in the engine but some do look like gear teeth.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,181 Posts
I agree @Dr. Dyno , it looks like fibre. Maybe the teeth marks come from the engine timing gear or something like that.

Is there a fibre gasket somewhere? Maybe that has been sucked in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a US nickel? Looks more like a quarter to me but in any case the pieces are much smaller than I'd imagined. But at least they look soft like some kind of fiber. Don't know where there'd be a fiber gear in the engine but some do look like gear teeth.
Yes it is. A nickel 2019 issue. Nice and shiny for sure. But your answer is so far the best. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
There’s teeth and fibres. Had this been any other engine I’d be thinking about a timing belt. It honestly does look like a belt type material.

Are the balance shafts run by belt or chain? That’s why I’d hoped to hear from Ike.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Could those be chain guide pieces? maybe they fell from behind the front cover. If it were me, I would take the engine front cover off for inspection. You might be hearing chain noise. It would be very risky driving with a broken chain guide. It might have already jumped one tooth which could account for the stalling.

I once found these in the oil pan from a Saturn.
Wood Grey Hardwood Rectangle Symbol

Reactions: papitohead

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There’s teeth and fibres. Had this been any other engine I’d be thinking about a timing belt. It honestly does look like a belt type material.

Are the balance shafts run by belt or chain? That’s why I’d hoped to hear from Ike.

Chain, but once it starts and run it runs ok, just that you start listening to the noise underneath/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could those be chain guide pieces? maybe they fell from behind the front cover. If it were me, I would take the engine front cover off for inspection. You might be hearing chain noise. It would be very risky driving with a broken chain guide. It might have already jumped one tooth which could account for the stalling.

I once found these in the oil pan from a Saturn. View attachment 171744
Will work on the front cover as you suggest. No, I have not been driving it because got sick all of the sudden with Pulmonary Fibrosis. A bummer for me for there is no cure.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That looks like the balance shaft gear. I have a few here that I can take a picture of. Pull your oil pan and clean the pickup tube. You will need to remove the shafts so you don't get any more chunks in your oil. The engine will run just fine without them. Did the engine stall at idle? If so, it could have been because the gear jammed it up and then broke. These engines make no torque at idle and I could see this stalling the engine. See if you can spin the shafts by hand. If so, you have your answer.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That looks like the balance shaft gear. I have a few here that I can take a picture of. Pull your oil pan and clean the pickup tube. You will need to remove the shafts so you don't get any more chunks in your oil. The engine will run just fine without them. Did the engine stall at idle? If so, it could have been because the gear jammed it up and then broke. These engines make no torque at idle and I could see this stalling the engine. See if you can spin the shafts by hand. If so, you have your answer.
Thanks for responding Ike! I figured you were the most knowledgeable member here for crankcase issues.

·
Registered
526 Posts
No problem. Dr. Dyno sent me a pm to notify me of the thread, so thank him.

This should be an easy fix, clean out the pan and oil pickup screen, remove the shafts, plug the hole, and put the pan back on. You can hold close to 6 qts if I remember right.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Can those shafts be removed from below? I didn't realize that was a fiber gear. If it is just a carrier below the engine, then there would be no need to remove the front cover which is a lot of work labor wise. Definitely plug the oil hole.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I truly thank all of you for all these fine answers. I do have a long day appointment today and If I feel strong enough I will get to it tomorrow. I have to get this fix ASAP and trade it so I can leave a better car for my wife for I was told at the Veteran's hospital to get my finances and whatever to date because is a one to three years life expectancy. I do not want you guys to feel for me, just a little hand to get this done. You guys are the BEST! Also, I have done lots of work on cars all my life but never on a RAV4 and this looks like a bit hard, but will never give up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts