Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a blown rear differential on a 2011 Rav4,

until repaired, can the drive shaft be removed from the transfer case and to the wheel and have it run as a FWD? for a week? apparently, the gasket was cracked and wife did not notice the noise..

so I can repair it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The rear wheels will still be connected to the half shafts that will still be connected to the differential...if there is anything rattling in there it will continue...taking the drive shaft out only prevents power from going to the rear...of course I could be wrong...

·
Registered
263 Posts
yikes - idk that I would even try. and as posted above, differential will still be differentiating, even if power doesn't go to it.

curious was caused it - gasket cracked = leaked fluid?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is a breather valve/vent at the top of the differential...this will get mucked up over time if it is not occasionally cleaned of crap on it...once this vent closes up due to not being taken care of pressure will build up in the dif...if enough pressure builds it can blow out a seal...if the blow out occurs on the lower half then the gear lube will leak out eventually...then all kinds of bad things happen...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a breather valve/vent at the top of the differential...this will get mucked up over time if it is not occasionally cleaned of crap on it...once this vent closes up due to not being taken care of pressure will build up in the dif...if enough pressure builds it can blow out a seal...if the blow out occurs on the lower half then the gear lube will leak out eventually...then all kinds of bad things happen...

Ok.. I looked under, it is very difficult to reach ,I could not even see it, perhaps removing the whole differential?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In all the cars I have removed the splined front yoke of a drive shaft from, oil leaks out. There is a seal on the shaft.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If a blown rear differential on a 2011 Rav4, until repaired, can the drive shaft be removed from the transfer case and to the wheel and have it run as a FWD?
Can't say for sure about your RAV. However, I've done exactly that with my 2001 Ford truck (for weeks) while trouble shooting/repairing a vibration and it was fine and did not damage anything. My truck also has a rear diff and a lower geared transfer case. However, it doesn't have the same electronic crap on it that our RAV's have so I can't say for sure one way or another.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can't say for sure about your RAV. However, I've done exactly that with my 2001 Ford truck (for weeks) while trouble shooting/repairing a vibration and it was fine and did not damage anything. My truck also has a rear diff and a lower geared transfer case. However, it doesn't have the same electronic crap on it that our RAV's have so I can't say for sure one way or another.

Yep! the rear coupler is done.. my question is, why is it there in the first place, should the read driveshaft be directly connected to the rear diff?
and what is someone take that piece of coupler junk out and fit the driveshaft directly onto the red diff? and pull the abs and traction control fuse.. should I have more control of my own Rav?

(out of warranty and paid for and willing to play)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yep! the rear coupler is done.. my question is, why is it there in the first place, should the read driveshaft be directly connected to the rear diff?
and what is someone take that piece of coupler junk out and fit the driveshaft directly onto the red diff? and pull the abs and traction control fuse.. should I have more control of my own Rav?

(out of warranty and paid for and willing to play)
The coupler essentially turns the 4wd on and off. I am sure you gain a couple of MPGs not running in 4wd 100% of the time. Maybe the VDC uses it too.

So far I have not had any issues with mine so I m ok with it.

If you can come up with some kind of splinned shaft to 4 bolt pattern bearing adapter I think you can convert to 100% 4wd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts