Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 XLE running software version 3.2 and using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. When I connect to Bluetooth, it will work for anywhere between 1-30 minutes, and then it drops. The phone thinks it's still connected and will keep playing music though it's silent. The display on the radio shows "no bluetooth device connected" and if I try to go to setup, it shows bluetooth off, the box is unchecked and nothing will let me do anything in the setup menu until I shut the engine off and back on. Then the cycle starts over again. It's driving me nuts, I have tried everything to fix it and nothing works. My previous phone was an LG and I didn't have the issue. I brought it up at my last service and Toyota was of no help. This is a popular car and a popular phone, it can't be a unique issue. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My guess is if the LG phone worked fine and the Samsung does not it would be the Samsung phone software not the RAV4 software. If you have not done so yet I would delete the BT connection and after a phone & car reboot pair it again and see what happens. I had some minor BT dropping issues and this worked out for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was the phone as well, so I tested my wife's phone and the issue is not there. Also tried deleting and adding back the pairings, no luck. When I asked the Toyota tech if he has heard of any problems with phones and Entune, he said "daily".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue at first with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and our 2015 XLE. I read somewhere that you should turn WiFi off when connecting to Bluetooth. I deleted my pairing, rebooted my phone, then paired my phone again, and made sure WiFi is turned off whenever I am in the car. That seemed to solve the problem. Not the most convenient solution, but it is better than the Bluetooth randomly cutting out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota Software Issue

UPDATE - Toyota Service Dept told me today that the issue is theirs as to the software. However, again I had to call them, nothing proactive from Toyota which is disappointing.:frown

Thank you PC Hooks, we have a 2013 Rav Limited which started having the same problems when we took the car in for service about 6 weeks ago. We both have Samsung Galaxy 5 phones and did not have ANY problems since we got the car a year and a half ago. I believe during the service call they did an the upgrade to version 3.2 software but not sure definitely as it wasn't mentioned on the work order. As I mentioned we had no problems till our last service call at 15K+ miles. Since then the Blue tooth will connect for about 2 - 3 minutes and then drops off. As noted we too get the Blue Tooth is not connected on either Galaxy 5. Both phones though connect via bluetooth to an Audi, a Bose Sound Dock and a Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker and a Plantronix Edge hands free I use with my phone with no issues. So I know it is not a problem with the phones but with the Entune System. After Toyota Dublin had the car most of the day this past Tuesday, I sat with the Assistant Service Mgr and then the Shop Manager and deleted the sync setup for the 5th time (I deleted and re-installed the bluetooth 3x BERORE I came in to make sure it wasn't the phone) and 2x more with them in car since they claimed it worked fine with an Apple 6 phone but then they started seeing the same problems. But I suspect they made the connection and then shut the car off and did not operate the Rav long enough for it to drop the bluetooth connection. I have been told today, 3 days later, that the factory tech are there and working on a software update and should have an answer later today. So my strong suspicion is that the 3.2 update may have some corrupted code that maybe causing for the Bluetooth device to lose the signal. Will update when I get more answers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you tried doing a "soft reset" on your Note4? It's nothing like as harsh as a full "Factory Reset" and it
cured a problem I was having with just one app. It only takes a few seconds as all you do is operate the
Volume Down button, Power off button and the Home button simultaneously. Keep pressing all 3 and within
a few seconds the phone will restart itself. According to my local phone shop where I bought the Note4 this
isn't quite the same as usual restart that you can do. Nothing was wiped from my phones memory unlike when
I did the Factory reset when it took a long time to get everything back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this my problem a couple of days ago. Then I updated my Note 4. And then it started working. Maybe see if you have an update for your Note 4?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Per my post, I have a Galaxy 5 phone as does my wife. It is not an issue with my phone as I have 4 other Bluetooth devices working fine with the phone including our Audi, 2 Bose device and a Plantronix headset, it is a Toyota software issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My ATT Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) with Android 5.0 works fine with the Bluetooth on my 2015 Rav4.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with over 7K miles

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Heh heh, my cheapo $75 Blu Dash android BT works fine for Amazon music and phone on mine, Toyota Entune doesn't even list any Blu phones in their compatibility list! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Francesco please see my original post from Aug 7th, we have the same phone and the same 5.0 software update as does my wife, worked fine till they did a software update a few weeks ago during a std service call.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if anyone else got this, but I just today received an email from Toyota saying that both Entune and the car software will have an updated release on 8/20, specifically referring to bluetooth issues among other things. Will report back once I have applied it. Let's all hope this is it!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I took my Rav in it turns out the bluetooth stops working if you have more than 1,000 contacts in your phone book, straight from the Service Department Mgr. Toyota has known for a while since people are coming in daily to complain about the issue. Apparently the iPhone 6 models don't have this problem, other older iPhones models supposedly do. So Nitto Denso and Google are working on the software update for the flash memory that should be updated by end of this month by either or both parties. Why my wife's phone works and mine drops since I have 2,000 contacts in the phone. This applies to all Toyota and Lexus dealers as people are walking in daily with the same problem. Apparently Ford is seeing the same issue. So it sounds like the software update is rolling out per PCHOOKS post but that is the root issue. Interesting as my 5 yr old Audi A4 doesn't have the problem but then I remembered it limits your phone book memory to 500 contacts on my year/model. The new ones probably have more flash memory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I finally had time to run the update today. I haven't had long term testing, but it appears much better. The update will bring it up to 5.1 which is a significant jump in versions. After running the update on both the head unit and the entune on the phone, I turned on Bluetooth and it connected quickly, to both the phone and media, which is encouraging. I left it connected for about 8 minutes without any issues. I will report back after a few days, but I am cautiously optimistic. let me know if anyone else has any experience with the update, good or bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok well, the issue is back. After a longer ride in the car yesterday the issue came back again. The only difference is now when it drops, the screen on the head unit says "stopped". It gives me no options to start it again, and if I change to another screen when I get back it says no Bluetooth device is set up for your vehicle. I'm seriously considering trading in this vehicle for something else at this point

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently had the same problem in my 2013 Rav4 XLE with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I can't relate it back to a dealer visit or a software upgrade to my S4, but here is what I did to resolve it.

1.On your S4, unpair the phone with your Rav4 in Bluetooth settings.
2. Still on your S4, go to Application Manager and scroll over on the top to ALL. I think it is 3 swipes to the left. Scroll down to Bluetooth Share and click on clear data, clear cache. Turn off bluetooth on your phone, and restart your phone.
3. Go to your Rav4, delete your Samsung from your Bluetooth paired devices and turn the key off.
4. Turn on key on and start the process of pairing on your Rav4 and your S4 phone. Turn on Bluetooth on your S4 and scan for devices. Your RAV4 should appear. Accept the connection on your phone and the RAV4. BE READY! WATCH the screen on your phone and as soon as it asks you to allow access to messages, check "Do not ask me again" and say OK. Then when it asks to share your contacts, check "Do not ask me again" and say OK.

It's been a few days now and everything seems to be working OK.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's been off again on again for any length of time between hours and days. So I would say it's better, but not reliable enough to use full time. I will try blasting and reloading my phone when I am ready, but it will be awhile, so it's back to the cable for me.
thanks everyone for the assistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently had the same problem in my 2013 Rav4 XLE with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I can't relate it back to a dealer visit or a software upgrade to my S4, but here is what I did to resolve it.

1.On your S4, unpair the phone with your Rav4 in Bluetooth settings.
2. Still on your S4, go to Application Manager and scroll over on the top to ALL. I think it is 3 swipes to the left. Scroll down to Bluetooth Share and click on clear data, clear cache. Turn off bluetooth on your phone, and restart your phone.
3. Go to your Rav4, delete your Samsung from your Bluetooth paired devices and turn the key off.
4. Turn on key on and start the process of pairing on your Rav4 and your S4 phone. Turn on Bluetooth on your S4 and scan for devices. Your RAV4 should appear. Accept the connection on your phone and the RAV4. BE READY! WATCH the screen on your phone and as soon as it asks you to allow access to messages, check "Do not ask me again" and say OK. Then when it asks to share your contacts, check "Do not ask me again" and say OK.

It's been a few days now and everything seems to be working OK.
Hope this helps you.

It's coming up on 3 weeks for me after using this process and the issue has not re-occurred

1 - 20 of 25 Posts