1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TSB Number: BO021-06
Bulletin Title: COWL PANEL WATER LEAK
Release Date: November 1, 2006
Applicable Year(s): 2006-2007 (VIN Specific)
File Size: 479kb PDF
Download: http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/BO021-06.pdf

Description: Some RAV4 customers may complain of water on the passenger's side floorboard after a heavy rainstorm or when going through a carwash. Water may be traveling underneath the outer cowl panel and entering the passenger compartment through the fresh air inlet of the heater box.

TSB REVISION NOTICE:
March 22, 2007: 2007 model year has been added to Applicable Vehicles.
The illustration in step 8A of the Repair Procedure has been clarified. Steps 5 - 9
and step 13 of the Repair Procedure have been updated.
PLEASE READ ENTIRE TSB.
February 13, 2007: A note has been added to the Introduction. The VIS' in the
Production Change Information table have been updated. Step 8 has been added.
The illustration in step 9A has been clarified.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ravman,

Thank you so much for the link. That sounds exactly like our problem!!!! It seems like a pretty major repair job. I sure hope that my dealership can do the job without screwing anything else up!!!

Does anyone out there have a link to the Canadian TSB? Can anyone who has had the same problem please report on how successful the repair was? How can I make sure that they have thoroughly dried everything out so that I don't have any water damage on the carpets or rust damage?

I seem to have every problem in the TSB list except for the Radio issues. I truly want to like this vehicle and my return to Toyota after Subaru and Volks, but my patience is really being tested...

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 passenger leak

just read the bulletin and it's only covered through 36k miles. So in other words since I have 45k miles I'm on my own?
They should be required to send these bulletins out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We noticed this problem as a wet carpet surface on the passenger-side front, appearing after the vehicle had been parked on a slope, with the right-front tire lowest, for about 1 hr in pouring rain. We hadn't noticed it before, though it had sat in rain for a whole monsoon season (that's Winter in coastal CA).

I HATE mildew :cry: , so I disassembled the interior trim, took out the carpet and padding, and even removed the styrofoam insulation pieces. Found an impressive amount of water pooled and soaked into everything. (Estimate 2-3 liters.) Blot with towels (not puny paper ones!), wring out, blot some more... then get out the hair dryer.

The service folks ran a hose over the car, and pronounced it fine. It was only after I showed THEM the TSB that they ceased stonewalling. Once again, R4W rocks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I'm glas I found this.... unfortunately, my warranty expired 2 months ago.

Hurricane Ida blew through here last week & dumped over a half foot of rain. A few days later I noticed the water in the trunk, then tracked it to the passenger footwell. :doh: I called my dealer & confirmed I am out of warranty.

I've just about dried it all out, but the musty smell remains for now... and it still doesn't resolve the leak issue. It's never done it before in the 3 years I've owned it... so I guess I'm living with it & hope it never does it again. :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm way over 36k miles for this to be covered too. Things I found that makes it worse include: heavy rain (obviously), parked with the car inclined to the right (that means the rain water drains towards the front passenger side).

So far the dealers I talk to don't know of this problem even though there's a TSB, and they can't quote me on how much it is to fix... annoying to say the least. I've yet to try putting a bucket underneath the glove compartment to try to collect the water... sigh

·
Registered
25 Posts
My glass guy installed some $50 plastic part at the same time he replaced my cracked windshield. My '06 was outside of warranty. Before making the repair, we thought the leak occurred around the windshield trim. Thru an internet search, the mechanic pulled up the TSB and bought the cheesy part. FWIW, I do not think you need the glass out to make this repair!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2007 started leaking last week when we had a full day of driving rain.
When I noticed the passenger side floor all wet I looked at the windshield and there was a gap at the bottom.
Brought it into Toyota yesterday and they determined I needed to replace the Louver Sub-Assy (FP# 55708-0R010) since they "found wiper cowl deformed".
I bought it new in Feb 2007 so I'm out of luck with the warranty. But I only have 12k miles on it. I called Toyota Extra Care anyway and pointed out this bulletin but the guy said unfortunately they couldn't do anything about it.
They want $432.98 just for the part ($470 with tax). God know's what they'll charge me for labor.
But at this point I can't see any other alternative to really get it fixed. Not that I have complete faith that they will get it right. I should have been monitoring this forum since I bought it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My glass guy installed some $50 plastic part at the same time he replaced my cracked windshield. My '06 was outside of warranty. Before making the repair, we thought the leak occurred around the windshield trim. Thru an internet search, the mechanic pulled up the TSB and bought the cheesy part. FWIW, I do not think you need the glass out to make this repair!

Currently experiencing water leak due to the cowl seal (The dealer thinks) - I was thinking about contacting a glass company as the dealer is ridiculous on the price $550.00. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cowl water leak

hello everyone, We had the leak onto carpet after heavy rain.....
I looked at this forum, printed the TSB, read it about nine times - and decided to order the part ( a piece of foam with, I hope, high temp adhesive).
The TSB is pretty thorough, but the drawings don't quite convey the actual relationship of the parts under the cowl panel. Having said that, it was about a one hour repair for me, going slowly and double-checking each item. It is definitely doable in your driveway. Note that I did not have any of the deformed parts issues, but the R&R of the cowl panel is easy per the TSB for the water leak.
We have not noticed any further leaks.
If anyone has a question, pm me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having the same problem since I purchased my CPO 2008 Limited, two years ago. First time the Dealer couldn't find anything. Second time they recalled that the windshield had been replaced when traded-in. Since the windshield was cracked anyway, I said I would have it replaced again and hopefully solve problem. No dice! First heavy rain and the floor was soaked again. My model year seems to fall outside of this TSB though. I will check for the drain tube others have mentioned. Luckily my Rav has deep rubber mats that catch all the water, otherwise I would be concerned about the floor rotting through!

·
Registered
165 Posts
A few years back I had the same problem. Every heavy rain, it would pour inside the car and then it will be a week of carpet lifted back to dry things out. I ordered the foam piece that was suppose to fix the issue but no dice. The instructions and drawing that came with it were a little out of order. In the end I decide to tape paper with water soluble ink printed on it. I drew a straight line around the opening and waited for the next downpour. Manage to trace the water coming in from the lower area of the opening. Took the whole assembly apart and check things out. Turns out the foam lining the piece that attached to the cowl was not even and was letting water through. The lower part were tight and so water would pool up and started running over the edge and into the fan housing then onto the floor. Reline the whole area with new closed cell foam and the problem is gone.

Reactions: frozen and Akloo

·
Registered
101 Posts
A few years back I had the same problem. Every heavy rain, it would pour inside the car and then it will be a week of carpet lifted back to dry things out. I ordered the foam piece that was suppose to fix the issue but no dice. The instructions and drawing that came with it were a little out of order. In the end I decide to tape paper with water soluble ink printed on it. I drew a straight line around the opening and waited for the next downpour. Manage to trace the water coming in from the lower area of the opening. Took the whole assembly apart and check things out. Turns out the foam lining the piece that attached to the cowl was not even and was letting water through. The lower part were tight and so water would pool up and started running over the edge and into the fan housing then onto the floor. Reline the whole area with new closed cell foam and the problem is gone.
Thanks Casper,
I have the issue also. I always noticed that the right side chair post, where it is bolted to the floor was rusted. it was like this since I bought the car. I tried repainting it and then forgot about it.

Do you have any pics of where the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you have any pics of where the problem is?

I am sorry I did not take any picture on the fix. I will see if I can take sometime out this weekend and remove the whole cowl and snap some picture of the fix.
I need to check the fresh air intake as it seems like I am getting lower air flow now. If no blockage or restriction, then it may be time to order a new or refurbished blower motor. Don't thing the blower will last long after those wet season when the cowl was leaking water right down onto the motor assembly.

Reactions: frozen

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I just had the cowel replaced under a recall along with the wiper link.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts