Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still looking for some information on the new RAV4 before deciding to purchase one, unlike many on this board I have never owned one before.

Another question I have is does anyone know if Body Side Moldings will be available for the new Rav4? In the 2006 Brochure I just picked up, they aren't listed as an accessorie, but I'm not sure if they would be classified that way.

2 reasons I would consider them. First, obviously to help keep the door dings off the side. Unless you get the side steps, there is very little to prevent other people from opening their door into the side of your vehicle.

Secondly, with the lines of the vehicle, I think they may look good. In the 2006 Brochure, there is a picture of a Flint Mica Sport, and I think with a small molding (no more than 3/4 inch to 1 inch in width) along the side, it would actually make the vehilce look good.

So, If anyone has any information on this, please pass it along.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Appears TOYOTA CANADA is offering BODY SIDE MOLDINGS for the 2006 RAV4 :D This means we should be able to get them too... eventually :roll:

Use the following configurator to see quite a few OPTIONS I've NOT yet seen elsewhere 8) (IE - Side bars, hood protector, rear bumper cover, body side moldings, roof rack accessories, interior bike rack, SUV tent, park pilot, etc.)

http://interactive.toyota.ca/shock/rav4/

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Pretty cool website! Nice find Kelly! 8)

I trimmed out a RAV with nearly every option (some replace each other) and boy was that a sight to see... LOL

Too bad the side mouldings were just wee thin strips of plastic... not sure how much protection they'd offer.

Noticed all the options said "Dealer-Installed", so maybe they won't offer any of the items at the port?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just noticed in the configurator that the Sport model has the same 18" wheels as the ones i have on my RAV! If not the same then almost identical! Zoom into the wheels in the configurator to see what i mean. If Toyota are copying my RAV i am honoured :lol:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
yup, they sure look like the new Ravs sport wheels..

Frank

Mohit said:
Just noticed in the configurator that the Sport model has the same 18" wheels as the ones i have on my RAV! If not the same then almost identical! Zoom into the wheels in the configurator to see what i mean. If Toyota are copying my RAV i am honoured :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
The rims on my RAV are off a Ford Falcon XR8. It's an Aussie built sedan. I had custom 70mm Toyota centre cap decals made up to hide the Ford ones.

I wonder if Toyota has been reading RAV4 forums as the wheels on the 4.3 Sport are almost identical to the ones on my RAV. Too identical to be a coincidence methinks :wink:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thaks for posting that pic. Looks different from the one in the configurator but as you said, kinda close. I still think the Ford one looks better :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the update on the Body side moldings. On many cars I don't like them, but I think the size of them would look great on a new Rav4. It may sound silly, but the availability of them pushes me a little closer to buying a Rav4 this year (as soon as the V6 sports are out and I can get one for slightly under MSRP.)

That is, of course, if Toyota USA is going to sell them. In the Rav4 Brochure, they have a bunch of accessories in there, but the moldings aren't one of them.

I am living the next few months about 10 miles from the Canadian border...I wonder if I would be able to just drive over and pick up a set from a Canadian Dealership?

·
Registered
302 Posts
MJD : You probably can get the moldings from a Canadian dealer but don' t expect to walk into one and find them in stock .
More then likely they will be a special order item that you will need to order waaay ahead of time .
Use the toyota.ca website to find the closest dealer to you and contact them about availability and how long they will take to come in .

As for the side rails .... they don't prevent door dings (they're too low).
They don't serve any useful purpose other then look good .

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
This first pic is just a rendering from the Accessory Configurator -- the second is out of Canada eBrochure's and doesn't present well either, but I haven't found any other real photos yet.

As you can see, by placement and thin size of the strip, I don't see how it can protect the doors very well. The side rails, however, stick out noticibly, and if the door is low enough, I can see how it would hit the rail first. Problem is, would you rather have a door ding in thin easy-to-repair door sheet metal or a chunk of chrome or aluminum off of your rails?

·
Registered
682 Posts
the main reason i'd get body side mouldings on a 4.3 would be to add a bit of character to the side of the car. the 4.3 is the most boring looking rav out of all 3 generations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts